Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Koni yellows have to be modified with Ground Control coilovers? 92-95 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni yellows have to be modified with Ground Control coilovers? 92-95 Civic

I've been searching around for the past 20 minutes with no luck.

I am looking for a new suspension set-up for my 95 VX.

The car came with and currently has skunk2 springs/OEM shocks. The ride is not bad, but the drop is uneven.

I had Tein SS on my 93 hatch a couple years ago. No complaints but I never really used them for much more than daily driver. Never messed with the 16 way adjustability (left it in the middle all times)

I went with GC's and Bilstein HD's on my 98 LX. The ride was not bad and was pretty low. I didn't like the fact the Bilsteins had to be modified to work with the GC's (cut the bump stop).

It seems everyone loves the Koni yellows so I am thinking about giving them a shot with the GC's. Do you have to modify the Yellow's in any way to work with the Ground Controls? I know GC make specific coilovers for the Yellows. I would like to keep the fender gap between 0 and 1 finger all the way around. I plan to drag race and maybe some auto-x with the hatch.

May have to raise it up to 1 finger gaps when the K20 is installed (another reason I want a coilover system)
Old 07-26-2006, 07:39 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you actually should be cutting the bumpstop on almost ANY drop.

I have run Konis before and of course had to cut the bumpstop, if I did not cut it i ended up with real problems when i hit bumps and it bottomed out on the bumpstops and lost traction badly.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (v4lu3s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v4lu3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you actually should be cutting the bumpstop on almost ANY drop.

I have run Konis before and of course had to cut the bumpstop, if I did not cut it i ended up with real problems when i hit bumps and it bottomed out on the bumpstops and lost traction badly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So the shocks are made for OEM springs / ride height? I remember in the Bilstein instructions it said to NOT modify the shock. But, I had to like you mentioned. I may just have to go with a full coilover set-up again

I'm sure the Koni's will also state to not modify the shock in anyway.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:55 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Hybrid93Hatch)

If you get Koni's, you will have to get different sleeves from Ground Control. The size and the way they sit on the shock is different than the 7 other brands your particular GC's fit.

They're cheap. I think like 20$ each I was quoted with new collars.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:08 AM
RTFM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So the shocks are made for OEM springs / ride height? I remember in the Bilstein instructions it said to NOT modify the shock. But, I had to like you mentioned. I may just have to go with a full coilover set-up again

I'm sure the Koni's will also state to not modify the shock in anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i beleive the bottom most perch is supposed to be for a stock spring, and middle and top are for shorter springs.

On every single aftermarket shock I have used I had to cut the bumpstop. Thats with Tokico Blues, Tokico Illuminas, Neuspeed Koni Yellows, and KYB AGX.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does cutting the bump stops void the warranty with Koni?
Old 07-27-2006, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

um, you have to cut the bump stops on every strut i've ever had. and the only thing that voids the warranty is if you have damage on the rod thing on the strut. You can even strip the paint and repaint them and not void the warranty ( i saved this email from koni)
Old 07-27-2006, 07:29 AM
RTFM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does cutting the bump stops void the warranty with Koni?</TD></TR></TABLE>

not as far as i know, specially since they cannot bottom out internally either.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:01 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v4lu3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you actually should be cutting the bumpstop on almost ANY drop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">um, you have to cut the bump stops on every strut i've ever had.</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1, I've had to cut the bump stops on every suspension I've ever installed on a honda
Old 07-28-2006, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v4lu3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not as far as i know, specially since they cannot bottom out internally either.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here is the letter & response from Koni:

Letter:

Hi,
I am looking to purchase new suspension for my 95 Civic Hatchback. I have looked into Ground Control coilovers matched with Koni Yellow shocks. I've read numerous times that this is a great suspension set-up. I've also read that the bumpstop on the shock has to be cut in half to avoid bottoming out. Will this void the warranty on the shock? What is the warranty on the shock absorbers? The car will be lowered for better handling.

Response:

Cutting the bump stop may make the car ride and handle better, but do not trim too much off. Trimming the bump stops does not void the warranty, but bottoming the shock internally from trimming too much bump stop would void the warranty. The KONI sport yellow warranty is lifetime to the original purchaser. The KONI yellow race damper carries no warranty once it is installed.

Thanks,

Bob ___

What defines "trimming too much"? How much must you trim? Does GC give the amount in the installation instructions?

Old 07-28-2006, 06:09 AM
RTFM

I guess the Civic ones can bottom out internally then. The last set I bought were for my accord and the same guy said they cannot bottom out internally, even with no bumpstops, I had called to ask about them after hitting a 4x4 in the middle of the road while doiong 65-70 mph.

The last set of civic ones i put on also required trimming though, but i guess its common sense usually to cut off only about half of the bumpstop and leave teh wider part on then.

Modified by v4lu3s at 9:27 AM 7/28/2006
Old 07-28-2006, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the latest:

Letter:

Hello Bob,

First off, the quick response is highly appreciated. (Not used to that with most companies.) I have a couple more questions:

I am reading (Honda forums) that most cut the OEM shock bumptop in half and use the wider diamter of the 2 halves. How would I know if this is too much (to stay under the warranty) or is 1/2 cuttting what's recommended?

Response:

The amount of bump rubber required is based on the ride height and spring rates you are using. There is no set cut length. The lower you run the car the longer the bump stop will need to be.

Thanks,

Bob ___

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking the lower the car the shorter the bumpstop should be. If the car is dumped 3" the shock would already be compressed further than a 1" drop. With the 3" drop and a longer bumpstop seems like you'd have a greater risk of hitting the bumpstop when the suspension compresses in a corner, pothole, etc....

Really didn't get anywhere with that last response Would of at least figured the response would give an "idea" to how much to trim from the bumpstop. Also, did not answer my warranty concern

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v4lu3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The last set of civic ones i put on also required trimming though, but i guess its common sense usually to cut off only about half of the bumpstop and leave teh wider part on then.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

It seems like half is the way to go from word of mouth no matter the spring rate or drop.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:06 AM
RTFM

that is odd that a lower car according to them requires a LONGER bumpstop.

The set on my accord did scary things with a full length bumpstop....the bumpstop was so compressed that it has splitting and was crushed, and when I would hit large bumps in th road the front end of the car would lose traction/get airborn.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v4lu3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that is odd that a lower car according to them requires a LONGER bumpstop.

The set on my accord did scary things with a full length bumpstop....the bumpstop was so compressed that it has splitting and was crushed, and when I would hit large bumps in th road the front end of the car would lose traction/get airborn.</TD></TR></TABLE>

When my bro had ebay coilovers on his Accord he forgot to trim the bumpstop in the rear. When the car hit a bump the car would bounce so bad. Had to remove the suspension and trim the stop. He ended up getting Omni's which he rides on now.

I'm confused with the response as well. I'm going to respond tomorrow.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:26 PM

I ususally trim the bumpstops right in half. Worked out pretty well.

We have the Ground Control (koni specific sleeves)/ Koni Yellow setup for sale if you're interested.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1689953