Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Knuckle buster Fiamm horn install- done~!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knuckle buster Fiamm horn install- done~!

It took me two mornings, about 2 + hours each, but I got rid of the "Thank you for cutting me off~!" stock horn of my '98 HX.

I grabbed a pair of low/high Fiamm's from Harbour Freight and a Shuck's Auto relay switch (designed for accessory lights, actually- Hella uses the same type relay)- $26 total.

I found that I could reach the horn by undoing the 10mm bolt @ the top of the radiator, INSTEAD of removing the whole freakin front bumper like the books say- and unscrewing/popping out the 2 plugs @ the top of the plastic shroud next to the rad and moving them back/over a bit;
Wired a hot lead to the amp fuse on the battery;
Cut wire applied + plugs for ground, leads from the relay to horns;
Found a good ground (at the bolt where the stock horn bracket was)- cut wire to length for both horns (siamesed from one horn to the other);
Cut blue/red-with-little-yellow-spots wire from the loom on the driver's side that LOOKED JUST LIKE the one that plugged into the stock horn on the pass side;
Bolted the relay out of sight and protected from the elements, under the front support next to the hood latch;
Wrapped everything in that plastic hose loom stuff with the slit in it (name?) to make it look sanitary;
Plugged everything in and... NO HORN BEEPY~! FARK!

Next morning, after checking continuity, connections, (one horn didn't have a good ground at the SAME upright support that the stock horn was in... go figger).

Result: Even though the wire I cut was in the same loom, 12" from the stock horn plug, looked identical, it was a different wire. go figger, part 2.
(What DID I cut? dunno, but it's back together now ;-)

So, I cut the wire @ the stock horn connecter, spliced/soldered a wire extension, stuffed it ALL in the new plastic cover thingie, plugged it into the relay, and...

"GET OUTTA MY WAY" horns now work

<whew> lotsa words, but hey, it was worth it.

-QuickHX
Old 09-21-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Knuckle buster Fiamm horn install- done~! (QuickHX)

sounds like a lot of work. I thought you could just swap a trucker horn from stock and boom, it would work.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Knuckle buster Fiamm horn install- done~! (mike-94eg)

Mike wrote:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike-94eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like a lot of work. I thought you could just swap a trucker horn from stock and boom, it would work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's where I was going to start... but I like the dual-tone sound of the Fiamm's (think BMW 7-series) and then I saw the size of the horn wire. Teeny~! The resistance of the TWO horns and the amps they draw was scary, in that it probably would melt the puppy if I laid on the suckers for any amount of time.

Using the relay, the power comes straight from the battery, the signal from the horn button just triggers the relay.

P.S.- I have the same setup on my motorcycle, which has saved my hairy butt from sliding down the road ~MANY~ times-
"There's a semi there?! Oh- it's a biker, oops, SORRY~~!"

-QuickHX
Old 09-23-2005, 04:37 AM

Default Re: Knuckle buster Fiamm horn install- done~! (QuickHX)

I just swapped in a horn from my friends sentra, which actually doesnt sound that weak. Everyone can tell its not a Honda horn.
for horn swaps
Old 09-23-2005, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Knuckle buster Fiamm horn install- done~! (TurboCoop)

I replaced my horn with the Hella Dual Tones, and it only took me about 1/2 hour. Except for running the power and ground for two horns, instead of the one, it was pretty much bolt on; I used the same hole and bolt as the stock horn to mount both. Removing the bumper takes all of 30 seconds or so, and I wouldn't have attempted it without it.

Old 09-23-2005, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Knuckle buster Fiamm horn install- done~! (AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I replaced my horn with the Hella Dual Tones, and it only took me about 1/2 hour. Except for running the power and ground for two horns, instead of the one, it was pretty much bolt on; I used the same hole and bolt as the stock horn to mount both. Removing the bumper takes all of 30 seconds or so, and I wouldn't have attempted it without it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Same, I used the stock pos/neg and that wat that.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:30 AM

i dont see anything wrong with my stock horn.. but uh, cool.