Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

knocking noise when running

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knocking noise when running

i have a 93 civic ex with the d16z6 motor and just rebuild the bottom end new oem crankshaft (old one was badly damaged) new h-beam rods, low compression pistons, light weight flywheel, stage 3 clutch and pressure plate and all is standard fitment any ways i fired it up after all done and it wasnt sounding right like a sort of knocking noise and i found out that my crankshaft was moving a little bit due to the pressure plate not being torqued down write i guess so i tore that all back off and i also re torqued the main bairing cap down and made sure everything was good and tight and torqued down to the right lbs and sequence and put it all back in my car and it does sound better but i still hear a some what knocking noise is this something normal and will quiet out or am i just doing something wrong need major help!!
Old 04-20-2008, 04:08 PM

Default Re: knocking noise when running (badassracer)

Did you get all new bearings also? If your crank is moving back and forth that is not good. Crankwalk is what happens from spun bearings. But if all cleanances are within spec, do you have forged pistons? Sometimes they can make a "knock" for the first couple seconds of startup.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:33 AM

Default Re: knocking noise when running (jdeemseerx)

yea i got all new bearings everything was suppose to be oem replacement but aftermarket performance but yea my pistons are forged i was wondering if they where going to make some different noises the first time when starting it up but ive just been too nervous to just run it and see what it does i talked to a mechanic that builds crazy *** hondas all day long and he said i might quiet out but i dont kno if i want to do it unless i have him or someone thats done this all b4 to hear it b4 i just go on everything runs smooth tho theres not jerking or heavy vibration in the motor i dont see it shake at all its just making a sort of knocking noise but its alot hard to hear whats happening when i only have a dc sports header on it i threw my exhaust out cuz it was totally shot but it sounds very clean running and smooth so idk im just going crazy i kant figure out whats wrong and im extremely short on money