Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Knocking noise - oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking noise - oil pump?

First time on this site and hope someone can help. Bought a 1994 Civic from a friend at work. Said he was driving down road and oil light came on and he heard noises so he put in oil - and kept putting it in waiting for the oil light to go off. It never did so he towed in home and I bought it. First off when I started it the oil light was not on and I could tell it had WAY too much oil in it. So I drained out all the oil and put in the right amount. No metal in pain or anything. Motor starts up no lights on dash but there is a definite knocking type sound and oil light flashes off and on intermittently. Could this just be the oil pump being loose or something silly like that - It doesn't really sound like rod. Maybe something with the timing belt affecting the oil pump? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also I was trying to get to the timing chain, etc. to get to the oil pump and can't get the stupid harmonic balancer bolt to break lose either - any suggestions on how to break that pupply loose?
Old 03-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Knocking noise - oil pump? (Tonya1994)

it could be a bent valve if the sound location seems distinct

else if it's a general noise from your valve train, it could need lash adjust
Old 03-08-2007, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Knocking noise - oil pump? (dafuzzbudd)

It's just a dull knock - not really a metal on metal clatter. It starts right up - just has that noise - almost like the timing belt is hitting something or not making good connection with the oil pump gear and causing the oil light to go off an on. If I could get the balancer bolt out I could probably figure something out. Noise is on very side/front of motor - driver's side