Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

knocking noise on cold start

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knocking noise on cold start

When i start my car (93 civic coupe, D16Z6). i have a knocking noise, that goes away when the engine warms up. If i run the car when it's cold, the knocking noise gets louder and faster, and after certain rpm's, it goes away (or i can't hear it anymore). I'm thinking it's injectors or something, and not valves, as it goes away after the engine warms up. Any idea what it could be?
Old 11-24-2003, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: knocking noise on cold start (AmginE)

check for exhaust leakages at the headers or even cracks on the headers
Old 11-24-2003, 03:02 PM

well you might have an oil issue untill the oil warms and can flow freely
Old 11-24-2003, 03:43 PM

I have the same problem. I think its normal with these engines. It use to be worst but i changed my oil to castrol 40 since i already got 100k and it has gone away a little. Get back at me if you get any other thoughts.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:57 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: knocking noise on cold start (AdamQ3B85)

Mine knocks when its cold outside and the motor is cold...it sounds like its coming from the timing belt area, i'm still trying to figure out what it is. Could be that you need a valve adjustment, my valves are tapping too I really need to get them adjusted
Old 11-24-2003, 04:46 PM

Default Re: knocking noise on cold start (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine knocks when its cold outside and the motor is cold...it sounds like its coming from the timing belt area, i'm still trying to figure out what it is. Could be that you need a valve adjustment, my valves are tapping too I really need to get them adjusted </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AdamQ3B85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the same problem. I think its normal with these engines. It use to be worst but i changed my oil to castrol 40 since i already got 100k and it has gone away a little. Get back at me if you get any other thoughts. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, mine was really loud at first, and i changed from 87 octane to 93. it cut it down to half, but it's still there. i'll see if i notice any difference when i change my oil tomorrow.

Could be my valves, i doubt they've been adjusted anytime recently. Time to go buy me some gauges.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:48 PM

yea i get a buzzing sound at a cold startup from timing belt area ????
anybody ideas!
Old 11-24-2003, 04:52 PM

Default Re: knocking noise on cold start (Lysawy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lysawy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea i get a buzzing sound at a cold startup from timing belt area ????
anybody ideas!</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's probably (very likely) a loose belt. or if they're new, they might be overtightened

edit: i suck at teh words.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:54 PM

Default Re: knocking noise on cold start (Lysawy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lysawy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea i get a buzzing sound at a cold startup from timing belt area ????
anybody ideas!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had a friend that had these symptoms and when he checked the timing belt was about to give up... Is there a way to check the timing belt? I think it could be seen if you remove the valve cover right?
Old 11-24-2003, 04:55 PM

Default Re: knocking noise on cold start (AdamQ3B85)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AdamQ3B85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I had a friend that had these symptoms and when he checked the timing belt was about to give up... Is there a way to check the timing belt? I think it could be seen if you remove the valve cover right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

usually if you can visually see wear on the timing belt, it's really close to dying.

flex it - i forgot if this goes for the timing belt or other belts - if it gives more than an inch, it's wearing thin. Also look for cracks/scarring on the inside of it where the grooves are.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:55 PM

to bring this thread back from the dead...

I adjusted my valves yesterday (finally) and the noise went away for the most part.

Now i hear it from the exhaust manifold only, not near the valve cover. ONLY when the car is cold, and when it's in gear and i'm moving. If it sits and warms up, i never hear the noise. It still knocks faster the faster the rpm's, but goes away once the car is at operating temperature.
Would oil viscosity cause this problem? I'm running 10w30. Too heavy?
Old 04-08-2004, 05:06 PM

boing.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:14 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: knocking noise on cold start (BauleyCivic)

Yeah, my civic knocks when its cold to, a little when its warmed up. It does sound like it comes from the timing belt area. How much does it cost to get your valves adjusted?
Old 04-08-2004, 05:17 PM

Default Re: knocking noise on cold start (SlammedSi00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlammedSi00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, my civic knocks when its cold to, a little when its warmed up. It does sound like it comes from the timing belt area. How much does it cost to get your valves adjusted?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the price of a set of feeler gauges, and an accurate torque wrench, and a helms, or find a how-to on here.

It's very easy to do.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AmginE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to bring this thread back from the dead...

I adjusted my valves yesterday (finally) and the noise went away for the most part.

Now i hear it from the exhaust manifold only, not near the valve cover. ONLY when the car is cold, and when it's in gear and i'm moving. If it sits and warms up, i never hear the noise. It still knocks faster the faster the rpm's, but goes away once the car is at operating temperature.
Would oil viscosity cause this problem? I'm running 10w30. Too heavy? </TD></TR></TABLE>

any more ideas?
Old 04-13-2004, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AmginE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i have a knocking noise, that goes away when the engine warms up. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Piston slap maybe? Very common with Civics.