Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Knockin while braking..

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Knockin while braking..

Well my car when I brake seems to have a bit of a shake goin on... When i'm doin about 80km ill gently lean onto the brake and my steering wheel starts to shake vigorously as I apply more pressure to the brakes.. I changed my passenger inner tie rod the other day because I could tell it severely needed to be replaced, also hoping that was the solution to my problem.. Well today I got a flat tire, an at Tire Kingdom the guy helping me out was like hey check this out, an grabbed my driver side tire at 12 o'clock an 9 o'clock an shook it an it moved about 1/8th of an inch back an forth, but no movement from left to right... Is this possibly a wheel bearing, also bout how much of a bitch is it to change one..?? I've searched but no real 92-00 Civic / Del Sol write ups on DIY Front Wheel Bearings... All help is appreciated.. thanks..
Old 10-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you checked your brake rotors for warpage? that is where i would start

edit: I didnt see the wheel movement portion. I would check over all your axle nuts. i have never seen a bearing move so much you see wheel movement like you described. not to say it cant happen, just never seen it myself. how are you balljoints?
Old 10-20-2005, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (jameskersten1)

mine was doing the same thing.....i changed my wheel bearings on my right side...it got slightly better....my disc just so happened wouldn't come off on my driver side....all i did was tighten up my axle nut and it tightened it up a lil more....sounds went away...

so check wheel bearings..or tighten up everything and inspect everything else up front....check the axle nuts....easy look..
Old 10-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jameskersten1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jameskersten1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you checked your brake rotors for warpage? that is where i would start</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got new rotors about a month ago if that... I'm gonna change the brake pads an **** but I mean brake pads dont make ur **** wobble like that...
Old 10-20-2005, 05:47 PM
tpr

Default Re: Knockin while braking.. (JDM_SOHC)

This is not a hugh job but will require the removal of the front spindle/hub assembly. Remove the axle nut from the outside (big impact). Remove the brake caliper assembly (2) 17 mm bolts from the inside of the hub area. Take the upper and lower ball joints loose again 17 mm, (I smack them with a hammer from the side. (They pop up or down as the case may be) Take loose the tie rod end from the spindle assembly the same way. Slide the axle out and now you have a spindle assembly in your hand.

Take that piece, the hub/spindle assembly, to you favorite auto machine shop. Presto magic they press off the old worn out bearing and press back on the $60+ new bearing. If you have driven on a bad bearing long it can spin the bearing race on the hub. New hub time!!! At this point sometimes its cheaper to get a good bearing/hub/spindle assembly from the junk yard and press a new bearing (never trust junk yard wheel bearings) on it so it will last a long time.