Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

knock for split second during start up

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knock for split second during start up

Just rebuilt my b16a has about 2000 miles on it so far.
Just recently during start up it knocks/rattles for only 2 to 4 seconds then goes away..... it does not make any other noise besides my valve terrain ticking .... my pops says it sound like a rod bearing...now this does not happen everytime I start it..... only when it sits for a long period of time...... I can start it in the morning hear the noise turn the car off start it again and there would be no noise... I have been searching thread to thread to see if anyone has a similiar problem but each thread I read they hear there knock more then once like during start up anf during a certain rpm.... mine just happens during a start up for a split second. Its almost like the filter drains back and has to fill up again? I don't know I had a mechanic tell me .... or I loose oil pressure but I don't know I just don't want thos to mess up my motor..... motor runs with no provlems just that noise during slthe first start up and my valve lash.... any opinions?
Old 07-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: knock for split second during start up

Also I've changed my oil no oil shavings at all I run 10w-30 as of now... I had a fram oil filter then I did a cheap oil filter and now I have a oem filter on it.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:07 AM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried adjusting your valves to see if that fixes it? Can you take a video of the noise
Old 07-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The noise is coming from the bottom end .... my valves are making a faint noise... not to loud but I can hear them....but when I first start up its not a onock then valves I can hear both but the 2 to 4 second knock vanishes til the car sits over night or for a long period of time
Old 07-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Honestly it really sounds you've got valves adjusted too loose. They will hammer pretty bad and sound like rod knock for a few seconds and then they'll sound fine until the engine cools off again.

Also, run 5W30.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Correction I already run 5w-30 and I have had four mechanics tell me that its in the bottom end...I just drove my car home and I was listening through my entire rpm range and nothing out of the normal..... still pulls awesome....is the a check valve in my oil pump stuck or is there even one? Should I run 10w-30?.... I am gonna get a tool from honda for my valves to adjust them.... I really didn't replace my oil pump when I rebuilt it but I didn't think anything of it.... should have but didn't...also ima say this start about 1500 miles into breaking it in....if that helps any...
Old 07-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also would my lma (lost motion assemblies) have anything to do with this....
Old 07-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Definetly check the valve lash. I was also going to suggest it may be piston slap.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But if it were piston slap wouldnt it slap constantly?
Old 07-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the help too guys I think this is the first time I have posted without people bombing on me lol
Old 07-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Master Detailer

Nope. Piston normally goes away pretty quickly. When mine does it, it normally quits after about 15 seconds.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Adjusted my valves exhuast side.. .007 and intake side... .006 got rid of my tickin during startup in my valve terrain little tick comes back when its warm.....but that knock noise is still there when I start up for that split second ....... so 98civdx can you explain why the valves would tap then just go away????? But it wont do it again in my next start up....unless the car sits for a long period of time.....overnight or while I'm at work.....
Old 07-26-2012, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And it "like I stated before" just started doing it so i would of had valve tap from the beginning...... right?... no disrespect just trying to understand and figure this out
Old 07-26-2012, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it will tick for a second if your car is sitting at an angle, theres no oil in the head an it takes 2 or 3 sec for the oil to get there, that is all
Old 07-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My cars always parked on a flat
Old 07-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JdmJellyBeanEG
Just rebuilt my b16a has about 2000 miles on it so far.
Just recently during start up it knocks/rattles for only 2 to 4 seconds then goes away..... it does not make any other noise besides my valve terrain ticking .... my pops says it sound like a rod bearing...now this does not happen everytime I start it..... only when it sits for a long period of time...... I can start it in the morning hear the noise turn the car off start it again and there would be no noise... I have been searching thread to thread to see if anyone has a similiar problem but each thread I read they hear there knock more then once like during start up anf during a certain rpm.... mine just happens during a start up for a split second. Its almost like the filter drains back and has to fill up again? I don't know I had a mechanic tell me .... or I loose oil pressure but I don't know I just don't want thos to mess up my motor..... motor runs with no provlems just that noise during slthe first start up and my valve lash.... any opinions?
my current DD does that when I first start it up in the mornings. Not a super loud rod knock or anything, but it has a little knock when it first starts. 2-4 sec later its gone and it runs fine. But its a stock OEM Spec D16Y8 with 199k (hit 199k this morning xD). I just leave it alone, it doesnt make shavings in the metal so w.e
Old 07-26-2012, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's from the bottom end, it's rod or main bearings.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Id figure its rods or main I am guessing premature wear or something just shitty......after warm up though it runs awesome
Old 07-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

But if the bearings are screwed I have another crank.... ill just get that turned and get some acl bearings
Old 07-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

But if the bearings are screwed I have another crank.... ill just get that turned and get some acl bearings
your crank isnt always damaged because of a bearing problem. you can often get it micropolished and have no problems.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Piston slap, if it goes away after the pistons warm up, that's what it is.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i found out what it is.....my oil pump is failing.....so its time to replace it... thanks guys for your help much appreciated
Old 07-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Master Detailer

How did you narrow it down to the oil pump??

Anyways, if it were piston slap, it only going to do it when cold, and go away pretty quickly.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I took the bottom end apart and inspected everything ....bearings, thrust washers, looked for any odd wear marks I found mothing but everytime I turned the crank I heard a slight noise in the oil pump ....as well as my dad did so I replaced it and the noise stopped
I guess once it created pressure that noise would stop so that's why it was a split second....so I am glad now lol but now I have my lma's making noise... and gotta replace those so I guess ill do that soon
Old 07-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I took the bottom end apart and inspected everything ....bearings, thrust washers, looked for any odd wear marks I found mothing but everytime I turned the crank I heard a slight noise in the oil pump ....as well as my dad did so I replaced it and the noise stopped
I guess once it created pressure that noise would stop so that's why it was a split second....so I am glad now lol but now I have my lma's making noise... and gotta replace those so I guess ill do that soon
u sure its not just that you need a valve lash? or did you already do that? Glad you found the source of your noise, maybe thats the same thing that mine does.

Quick Reply: knock for split second during start up