Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Knock Sensor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Knock Sensor Replacement

1998 Civic EX (D16Y8) stock, AT, 148K

Knock sensor has come apart. I tried to remove it (with intake manifold on) from underneath the car. 27mm deep socket is not long enough, added short extension but, too long. Not sure if a regular depth socket (plus extension) is deep enough to get around the plastic housing. Possible to do it as a two man job by going from underneath and sliding a ratchet handle up through the opening in the middle of the intake (near head) and person underneath car apply pushing pressure to the socket/socket wrench?

I know it's a simple replacement with the intake manifold off but, hoping to avoid that if possible. Also, anyone ever use Isumo brand (Ebay) knock sensors? OEM are $125 or more and OE at local parts stores are over $100. So, it's junkyard ($15) or dodgy E-bay ones.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: Knock Sensor Replacement

I haven't had to replace one yet, but maybe a swivel can help in your situation.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Worth a try for sure. Thanks
Old 06-02-2015, 01:20 PM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I had my intake off already when I replaced but it's a heck of a lot easier to do so with the intake off. If you have some time, I would recommend just taking the intake off and replacing it that way.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 09chaplak
I think I had my intake off already when I replaced but it's a heck of a lot easier to do so with the intake off. If you have some time, I would recommend just taking the intake off and replacing it that way.
I just put the intake manifold back on a few days ago (head gasket) and the only bitch of removing it is that one nut behind/below the head that is very close to the knock sensor. If i am going to spend time on either that nut or the knock sensor... I'm exhausting all resources on the knock sensor first.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:46 PM
Loves Tossing Salad

Originally Posted by Jimi Hondrix
I just put the intake manifold back on a few days ago (head gasket) and the only bitch of removing it is that one nut behind/below the head that is very close to the knock sensor. If i am going to spend time on either that nut or the knock sensor... I'm exhausting all resources on the knock sensor first.
I ******* hate that one nut!!! Why there? Seriously, why did they have to put one right there? Perhaps a pair of channel locks would help. The only problem is that you can't torque it to spec unless you get a socket on there. Probably doesn't really matter though.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:26 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

vise grips on nuts are not a good suggestion, very painful
Old 06-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Loves Tossing Salad

Originally Posted by tony_2018
vise grips on nuts are not a good suggestion, very painful
Not the ones that you have to apply constant grip, the ones that actually lock. I've had some success with those you don't have to have your hand wrapped around the grips so when it comes loose you slam your hand into something sharp haha if I can get it to grip you can use your palm you at least try to shake it a little. I just hate that one nut in the middle under the manifold.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found a knock sensor at salvage yard about 45 minutes away. I got it for pocket change (wink,wink). I ended up having to crawl under the junker I took it from which the frame was sitting on bent rims..good times. For added peace of mind my son and slipped a few stacked tires under each of the side jack points of the car. Ended up having to take the intake off to get to it. Tried to use a swivel connector for the 27mm from underneath to remove the KS first but, did not work. I assume I will have to take the intake off my car to put the sensor on.. I've become fairly proficient at it now.
For the nut at the back of the intake I need to find or create a tool similar to this: http://www.gedoretools.co.uk/5076-th...ex-20-8-mm.jpg but, not as long for the socket connection portion.. This might work too: https://home.comcast.net/~alloy-arti...ped_inset2.jpg in a 12mm equivalent.