Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

which kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which kit?

I'm not sure if this should be in forced induction but here goes. I'm going to be buying a greddy turbo kit shortly here, but at the same time I want to go obd1 with maybe a skunk 2 ecu. I have a y8 mini-me in my hatch, I just plan on running a jumper harness and getting rid of the ex ecu(I think p2e) and going with the p28(chipped). My question is what kit should I get, I understand that the hardware for the 96-00 sohc kit will fit my car, but I'm not sure that the emanage that comes with the kit will work on a p28(obd1). I heard that the emanage(blue box) is garbage anyway, If I go with the kit and scrap the blue box what should I go with? sorry for all the questions but I'm new to boost.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: which kit? (dogfood)

If you want the Greddy Kit then get it and when you chip the P28 chip it for Hondata or Uberdata and youll be set. No blue box needed.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:37 PM

Default Re: which kit? (Luserkid)

what about a boost controller? And what does the blue box do then, since it's not a must have?
Old 07-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Blue box (from my understanding) is just a fuel management system that sucks *****.

Boost controller is ran off of vaccums that go to your wastegate, has nothing to do with chipping your ecu unless if you get a S-AFC or a Greddy electronic controller then that wires up to something (no clue dont use it, i perfer manuel boost controller).
Old 07-09-2004, 04:45 PM

Default Re: which kit? (Luserkid)

Yeah, I was thinking of going with a chipped ecu and a manual boost controller with a gauge. I eventually wanted a vafc but I have no access to a dyno that I know of which makes it kind of hard. Anyways with a chipped ecu I won't need the blue box because they do the same thing except the ecu just does it better? The BB has nothing to do with the turbo itself, just the fuel mapping to suit it?
Old 07-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When you go turbo you need to tune it. No way around it. And you cant just chip the ecu like you can for NA cars, you need good fuel management for turbo. Im going to need to tow my car to a dyno to get it tuned becuase out tuned it just wont drive.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dogfood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, I was thinking of going with a chipped ecu and a manual boost controller with a gauge. I eventually wanted a vafc but I have no access to a dyno that I know of which makes it kind of hard. Anyways with a chipped ecu I won't need the blue box because they do the same thing except the ecu just does it better? The BB has nothing to do with the turbo itself, just the fuel mapping to suit it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i am able to do custom maps, for specific injectors, and timing retard based on boost level, and ability to use stock MAP sensor to read about 11psi without any issues.

P28/P08 kits with 2 chips (custom specs) with shipping only $40US
Old 07-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dogfood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I heard that the emanage(blue box) is garbage anyway, </TD></TR></TABLE>
The GReddy e-Manage is ENTIRELY different from the "blue box" (GReddy FCU--fuel control unit). GReddy kits first came with a black box, then a blue box, and are now sold with e-Manages. If you buy the kit new, you will not have a blue box. The blue box is not tuneable. The e-Manage IS tuneable and is available with optional harnesses that allow you to control other aspects of the engine (such as injectors). I only have experience with the blue box, but I'm just letting you know that there is a difference between the e-Manage and the GReddy "blue box."
Old 07-10-2004, 10:01 AM

Default Re: which kit? (Daniel)

So, will I need a dyno to tune the emanage, and will I be able to use it on an obd1 computer(chipped)?
Old 07-10-2004, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to fiddle with the e-Manage settings then you will need a dyno unless you're capable of tuning the car yourself. But when you buy GReddy kits, the e-Manage is supposedly pre-tuned for the motor. Fiddling with the settings will just void its 50-state legality, but I'm not really sure how much that matters to you. You will be able to use it on OBDI computers because the e-Manage is pretty much a universal piggyback setup.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:06 AM

Default Re: which kit? (Daniel)

sweet, obd1 , plus I live in michigan where there is absolutely no emissions testing So untill I find a dyno around here I'll run it "pre-programed", thanks for all your help guys