Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Kingmotor Sports Engine Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kingmotor Sports Engine Build

I have a K20A3 and have considered a motor swap to a K20A2 ($4000 from Hmotors) but I see no point if I can get good power out of the motor that I already have. With that said, I was looking around websites for my motor to be built by and I came by Kingmotors and it seems cool but is it worth it. The price of the build is worth another motor. But then common sense kicks saying, "what's the point of buying a new motor with less power?" And I honestly can't come up with an answer, so here's the question.I did a search and haven't found anything. Has anyone on this site had this done?

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/category.aspx?cat=5

Old 11-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

King is a reputable shop, but that service for $2000 or $3000 I think is what you are talking about and from what i read it doesn't even really include any performance parts. It's just all the labor, services, and machine work. If you want high-compression, big cams, etc...you have to provide those or buy them from them at the additional cost.

If I were you I'd pick up a K24 bottom end, or just turbo or supercharge that thing. If you don't already have one, get a K-Pro for tuning.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (klungemonger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by klungemonger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">King is a reputable shop, but that service for $2000 or $3000 I think is what you are talking about and from what i read it doesn't even really include any performance parts. It's just all the labor, services, and machine work. If you want high-compression, big cams, etc...you have to provide those or buy them from them at the additional cost.

If I were you I'd pick up a K24 bottom end, or just turbo or supercharge that thing. If you don't already have one, get a K-Pro for tuning.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dig that but for a head package it's only really about $1000 or so. But this way if something goes wrong with the motor I don't have to worry about the same amount of problem N/A as I would with a turbo. I'm more B series minded, I don't know much about the K's and I'm still learning (it's basically the same from what I can see, just different tools). Having this done (obviously with a head build) will provide the more power than the other motor....right? Or am I out of my mind?

Old 11-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Kingmotor Sports Engine Build (Earthworm Jim)

Contact this guy:

https://honda-tech.com/zerouser...00966

He's had first-hand experience with trying an A3 build, then an A2 build.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:19 PM

Now.. you say you have a k20a3...

did you know you could just swap heads with a A2 head??

For more information on k-series motors -&gt; k20a.org

also you might be interested in this website http://www.intrinsicperformance.com

Old 11-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Kingmotor Sports Engine Build (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Contact this guy:

https://honda-tech.com/zerouser...00966

He's had first-hand experience with trying an A3 build, then an A2 build.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hahahah, GA is repping hard, I want to move back there so bad

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpr0422 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now.. you say you have a k20a3...

did you know you could just swap heads with a A2 head??

For more information on k-series motors -&gt; k20a.org

also you might be interested in this website http://www.intrinsicperformance.com

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not into swapping heads and stuff, why not take the A2 and get the 6th gear with it? The primary question is about the build all together, I don't think anyone has done it before, it doesn't sound bad

Old 11-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Kingmotorsports can build you an awesome K20 if thats what you want. They do it all the time. They are very precise when assembling and measuring everything to spec. They have a very good knowledge of Honda and aftermarket parts to build you motor with. Good Luck.

Talk to Clayton

https://honda-tech.com/zero...00618
Old 11-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Kingmotor Sports Engine Build (JDM_teh_WIN!!)

yes, i can vouch for kings work. Ive been in the shop, been on a tour, know clayton, awesome people. When i saw their motor room, you could eat off the work benchs, the floor, anything. They are very clean and great people to deal with
Old 11-10-2006, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I've only bought some parts from them but Clayton was cool to deal with. King isn't one of those "me too" upstart companies trying to jump on the Honda bandwagon, they've been around for quite a few years and are well-known/reputed among the auto-X/road race enthusiasts. Also they are an authorized Mugen dealer, which doesn't get handed out to everybody.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_teh_WIN!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Kingmotorsports can build you an awesome K20 if thats what you want. They do it all the time. They are very precise when assembling and measuring everything to spec. They have a very good knowledge of Honda and aftermarket parts to build you motor with. Good Luck.

Talk to Clayton

https://honda-tech.com/zero...00618</TD></TR></TABLE>

Forgive me I might be a little slow but are you saying they'd use my motor or a used one?

Old 11-13-2006, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They will build your motor. It's a Base RSX or Si Engine right? You want to build an RSX Type S or R motor with it? All you really need is a head really. Im not too sure what the compression is on the K20A3 or a S or R motor, but Clayton can give you all the details. Really the big difference between the 2 heads is that an S or R motor has vtec on the exhaust side while the Base motor does not.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_teh_WIN!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They will build your motor. It's a Base RSX or Si Engine right? You want to build an RSX Type S or R motor with it? All you really need is a head really. Im not too sure what the compression is on the K20A3 or a S or R motor, but Clayton can give you all the details. Really the big difference between the 2 heads is that an S or R motor has vtec on the exhaust side while the Base motor does not.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The A3 has less hp than the A2...I would just want to build the motor in the car, I'll talk to Clayton, thanks for all the help....I do want a sixth gear though....don't know why, I guess just to say that I have one *shrugs*

Old 11-13-2006, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Earthworm Jim &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The A3 has less hp than the A2...I would just want to build the motor in the car, I'll talk to Clayton, thanks for all the help....I do want a sixth gear though....don't know why, I guess just to say that I have one *shrugs*

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well compression, cams, and vtec are what is makeing the extra power. I see you want a six speed as well. Unfortunately building a motor with the engine in the car is rather difficult. If you are just talking about the swap it shouldnt be a problem. You can have the motor shipped there and installed in the car no problem. They did my B series swap and I have no complaints.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_teh_WIN!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well compression, cams, and vtec are what is makeing the extra power. I see you want a six speed as well. Unfortunately building a motor with the engine in the car is rather difficult. If you are just talking about the swap it shouldnt be a problem. You can have the motor shipped there and installed in the car no problem. They did my B series swap and I have no complaints. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well here's my thing, I could just build the head and have it tuned right? So what's the difference of me doing that and going to King for their head build? Especially if I'm buying all the parts, then they're not really helping me, they're just tuning my car and any shop around here could do that. It seems pointless if they're not a step ahead of everyone else...right?

Old 11-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well this is getting a bit confusing. Do you want to swap your motor? Do you want to build a motor? Do you want to build the head?

If you can build a head go for it. No need to have someone do it for you.

KMS will dissassemble the head, clean it, measure it, and reassemble it. If you want to add say springs, retainers, and cams, of course you need to pay for the parts.

Where are you from again?
Old 11-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doesnt the A3 use a different type of VTEC then the A2?
Old 11-13-2006, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Kingmotor Sports Engine Build (JDMFreak)

laskey racing.. does exelent work fellas

look at their race built engines.. custom bores at no additional cost
im taking my gsr to 84.5mm

they have an econo build as well

heres for the k series
http://www.laskeyracing.com/shop/kseries.htm
Old 11-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMFreak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">doesnt the A3 use a different type of VTEC then the A2?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It doesnt use vtec on the exhaust side.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_teh_WIN!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well this is getting a bit confusing. Do you want to swap your motor? Do you want to build a motor? Do you want to build the head?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Clarification, I want to build a motor but know that it's going to make good power. I would swap to a new motor but why if it's going to cost less and not make as much power.

Options, keep the A3 and build the head (I want around 250hp)
Or get an A2 (which is about 200 to the wheel) Both with cost around $3500

Note: I don't want to swap a motor if I don't have to..craziness I know..I'm having a hard time expressing myself

Old 11-14-2006, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMFreak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">doesnt the A3 use a different type of VTEC then the A2?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope both are I VTec...

Old 11-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No sorry the Base RSX motor and the Civic Si motor DO NOT use vtec on the exhaust side only on the intake side. One of the downfalls of that engine.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_teh_WIN!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No sorry the Base RSX motor and the Civic Si motor DO NOT use vtec on the exhaust side only on the intake side. One of the downfalls of that engine.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Earthworm Jim &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Nope both are I VTec...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not saying they both use it (on the exhaust side) but they use the same VTec

Old 11-15-2006, 07:23 AM

again.. laskeyracing builds great **** na/ boost whatever.. of all the engines ive seen built.. id say laskey and inlinepro.. both do exelent work..

head work on the other hand.... headgames trenton n.j. does all the work for full-race.. was in the show pinksfor them as well .. does better work imo then alaniz for a waaayyy better price.. also in comparrison his heads flow better then alaniz.. i forget where i saw the comparrison.. if i find it i will post it.... look for "the mayor" on myspace.. dave is his name..pics of his work is on his site..wow is all u can say
Old 11-15-2006, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL...funny thread...

buy a k24 block & k20a2 head, tsx or forged internals... you will **** on any stock 2.0 especially if built right. k-pro or ems a necessity for these motors... i gained 50whp & 40 lb/ft of torque over base map for ITR-k20a

why build a k20a3 to have the same whp as a k20a2, its pointless... you may save a couple hundred but you'll have the extra long gears & 5spd. if you buy a 6spd tranny you're gonna be spending more than a straight k20a2 swap

k20a3 is basically non-vtec... does not have the 3 lobe cams, you can convert your a3 head to true a2 head by swapping internals & some other mods (I believe jeremy @ inline pro did this & got 200whp with a good header & tuning w/k-pro on a k20a3 &lt;--- this is a good option)

hate to ask but why 92-00 civic forum.... please don't tell me you have a k20a3 swapped eg/ek lol - please tell me you have a ep3 (02-04 si) or base rsx ('02+)

I am up to 230 dynojet whp with just bolt-ons on a type r k20a
Old 11-15-2006, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Kingmotor Sports Engine Build (_adirondackR_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by _adirondackR_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">k20a3 is basically non-vtec... does not have the 3 lobe cams, you can convert your a3 head to true a2 head by swapping internals & some other mods (I believe jeremy @ inline pro did this & got 200whp with a good header & tuning w/k-pro on a k20a3 &lt;--- this is a good option)

</TD></TR></TABLE>

So basically if the internals are swapped an A3 would run like an A2?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by _adirondackR_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hate to ask but why 92-00 civic forum.... please don't tell me you have a k20a3 swapped eg/ek lol - please tell me you have a ep3 (02-04 si) or base rsx ('02+)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have an 05 Si, the reason I put it in this thread is because more people look here and I know there's a lot of knowledge here about motors and tuning altogether. I figured B18C5-EH2 would chime in and he did I got and would get a better response here than in the RSX/EP thread

Quick Reply: Kingmotor Sports Engine Build