Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Kill switches

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kill switches

I have this bright Idea on where to install my kill switch, but i dunno if 10,000 people before me already had this idea and theives know where to look now. So I post for a couple reasons:
1) post where NOT to mount kill switches (barring the obvious of course)

2) With a kill switch installed, was your car stolen/attempted theft? If it was stolen, where was your kill switch?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Kill switches (Eyal 951)

sorry to say but im sure if you found a spot, there is a thief somewhere that knows your spot too. but the odds of that thief tring to steal your car isnt very good. my suggestion is getting like 2 or 3. even if they find them somehow it will take them sometime unless they have a towtruck which wouldnt matter if you had killswitches. so i dont think that your gonna get anyone to tell you where they pt theirs or where not to put them. the only thing i would tell you to do is think hard before you put it in, and do it right dont put it in an obvious spot and hide it as best as possible!!! good luck
Old 09-07-2005, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

put that switch where ever you think it wont be found. My car was broken into with one and i still have my car and all its parts
Old 09-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Kill switches (-Gambit-)

well, i definetly plan on having a second, hard to find (but inconvenient) switch as well, but for those short parking lots times, I'd like to have something a bit more convenient. I geuss I'll figure it out myself. The previous owner installed one... on the dash where the fog light switch is on Si's... genius i say
~Eyal
Old 09-09-2005, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow i would just leave the one on the dash as a fake, lol. but yeah that is a good idea if your only gonna be away from the car for alittle while you can use the convenient one and if your at work or something you can use both. i would suggest a fuel pump cut off and an ignition cut off as the other. good luck with protecting your investment!!!!
Old 09-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Kill switches (JDMSiGuy17)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMSiGuy17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow i would just leave the one on the dash as a fake, lol. but yeah that is a good idea if your only gonna be away from the car for alittle while you can use the convenient one and if your at work or something you can use both. i would suggest a fuel pump cut off and an ignition cut off as the other. good luck with protecting your investment!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

you should make 3...
a dummy switch, ignition switch, and a fuel pump switch..

is your car gutted?

Old 09-09-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Kill switches (ROK801)

i just use a remote kill switch, works off a remote you can put on your keychain, no thief can disable it. If you want the plans/specs msg me and paypal me 5$ and it's yours
Old 09-09-2005, 11:09 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Kill switches (GripStar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ROK801 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you should make 3...</TD></TR></TABLE>I have 7.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Kill switches (litterbox)

i've got one in my locking rear compartment (advantages of a sol). I know the lock isn't fool proof, but no thief will break the lock expecting to find the fuel cut there. I've got another in my trunk behind the carpet (no trunk popper in my car) for long-term parking too (although I'll also take out the ecu for long periods). That plus reg alarm makes me feel pretty safe.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Kill switches (IHateJDM)

in an old car i had it in the bottom of the arm rest compartment and put a bunch of junk in there it was nice and convenient and all a thief would see was a bunch of junk in there and probably move on to other parts of the car.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Kill switches (lone)

I have 2, and my car has been broken into 2 times and I still have it. you just have to think of something orginal, and hope for the best. hint, whatelse can you disable that will not let your car start?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:05 PM

Do all you guys with kill switches just use a toggled relay type switch? It doesn't seem very common to me but my kill switch is actually a cylindrical key lock style. With this type of switch, at least even if they do find it, they don't just simply flick the switch and be off with your car.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:15 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (derspi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by derspi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my kill switch is actually a cylindrical key lock style.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how did you rig this up?
id love that type of kill switch. ive always used toggles.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:30 AM

Default Re: (ROK801)

You could always hide a magnetic reed switch to operate a latching relay circuit.

Here is a link to what I'm talking about;

http://www.performanceforum.com/bob/bob6/bob6.html

Wes
Old 09-10-2005, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Wes V)

Ive never actualy removed the main relay, but how hard is it to reach up there and remove the main relay? that plus taking out the ECU would probobly be the best kill switch IMO.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:58 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: (ROK801)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ROK801 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how did you rig this up?
id love that type of kill switch. ive always used toggles.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can buy these type of things out of JCWhitney magazines, or the like. I used to have one for my starter. Although, if they don't have a key.. With any kill switch, they can rip the switch/key lock and just connect the two wires together.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM-EJ1)

Speaking of kill switches...we had this customer come in with an late model Cadillac Deville (big boats) for an alignment and checking the brakes...we couldn't get the vehicle to start at all and he said look for a kill switch...so we did. After about 10 mins of trying to find the damn thing (3 of us looking) he finally told us it was UNDER his seat! (literally) Meaning you had to RAISE your butt to start the vehicle!!! Pretty neat eh?

Just thought i'd share an idea
Old 09-10-2005, 07:40 AM

Default Re: (civicboisi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicboisi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Speaking of kill switches...we had this customer come in with an late model Cadillac Deville (big boats) for an alignment and checking the brakes...we couldn't get the vehicle to start at all and he said look for a kill switch...so we did. After about 10 mins of trying to find the damn thing (3 of us looking) he finally told us it was UNDER his seat! (literally) Meaning you had to RAISE your butt to start the vehicle!!! Pretty neat eh?

Just thought i'd share an idea </TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn, that's crazy.. How did he do that?
Old 09-10-2005, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM-EJ1)

not sure...i guess it was some sorta pressure switch insted...but could you imagine the theif trying EVERTHING to get it to run and it won't because his fat @ss is on the switch? LMFAO
Old 09-10-2005, 08:17 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicboisi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not sure...i guess it was some sorta pressure switch insted...but could you imagine the theif trying EVERTHING to get it to run and it won't because his fat @ss is on the switch? LMFAO</TD></TR></TABLE>

And honestly... Do you think you would've ever figured it out (in a decent amount of time)?
Old 09-10-2005, 10:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicboisi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Speaking of kill switches...we had this customer come in with an late model Cadillac Deville (big boats) for an alignment and checking the brakes...we couldn't get the vehicle to start at all and he said look for a kill switch...so we did. After about 10 mins of trying to find the damn thing (3 of us looking) he finally told us it was UNDER his seat! (literally) Meaning you had to RAISE your butt to start the vehicle!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think i'm going to try this.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by derspi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do all you guys with kill switches just use a toggled relay type switch? It doesn't seem very common to me but my kill switch is actually a cylindrical key lock style. With this type of switch, at least even if they do find it, they don't just simply flick the switch and be off with your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>
they just cut the wires and put them together.
thats the whole problem with splicing into the power wire under the door kick panel. If I were breaking in, i wouldnt bother looking for the switch, id rip that panel up, take the two wires and put them together.

Modified by Eyal 951 at 1:42 PM 9/10/2005
Old 09-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have 3 and people have alrady try to take my car but there is still one that they can't figure out...
Old 09-10-2005, 12:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicboisi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Speaking of kill switches...we had this customer come in with an late model Cadillac Deville (big boats) for an alignment and checking the brakes...we couldn't get the vehicle to start at all and he said look for a kill switch...so we did. After about 10 mins of trying to find the damn thing (3 of us looking) he finally told us it was UNDER his seat! (literally) Meaning you had to RAISE your butt to start the vehicle!!! Pretty neat eh?

Just thought i'd share an idea </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's a neat place to hide one but if you manage to activate it while shifting around in your seat you're gonna end up causing an accident. Try explaining THAT to the officer afterward "sorry, I accidently hit my kill switch and lost control of my car."
Old 09-10-2005, 12:33 PM

If it's just a starter kill why would it matter?

Quick Reply: Kill switches