Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

kill switch probs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 01:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kill switch probs.

whats up everyone. a few weeks ago i put a kill switch on my fuel pump. it was a low quality switch that i put in line of the power wire AT the fuel pump(had to do it fast cuz someones car got stolen in the parkin lot a work). i took the time to solder and heat shrink everything. couple weeks later car wouldnt start everytime and i figured out that switch was bad, so i spliced the wires back together w/o the switch. but now its doin the same thing but and theres no visible break in the wire(im goin to double check) the car never quits when driving but sometimes the pump doesnt prime before starting(i can hear when it does) therefore when i try to start it fires up then dies. Questions are: could i have fried the pump/fuses? if i did why doesnt the car quit while driving? Any input would be helpful TIA
Old 07-14-2003, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You need to run a relay to the wire you are powering.....i believe since its a trigered unit....the power supplied in amps is not enough ........when i install alarms.....i run into many electrical probs such as this......oh....just saw the rest of your post......go ahead and double check the engine bay fuses....might be the option fuse that is cutting off the fuel after firing up....if that helps....good luck
Old 07-14-2003, 02:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: kill switch probs. (LSpimpTEC)

Could be the main relay going bad.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:49 AM
Bigjon

Default Re: kill switch probs. (97hb)

you could check the continuity on that wire that you spliced. maybe it opened up somewhere that you cant see. Multimeter yo
Old 07-14-2003, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: kill switch probs. (Bigjon)

thanks ill try those possibilities out. any other ideas?
Old 07-16-2003, 03:59 PM

I was also having the same problems with mine. But lately they have been less and less frequent. I would be interested if anyone could figure out the problem. I have, I think isolated it it down to the PGM-FI relay, but then again I could be wrong.

Does it only happen when it is really hot out? It happens to mine when it is really hot outside.

Someone mentioned 'main relay', which relay are you refering to?
Old 07-16-2003, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: kill switch probs. (hondasleeper)

What gauge wire were you using? The switch may have been bad.

Old 07-16-2003, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How long did this install take?
Old 07-16-2003, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: kill switch probs. (Infamous_Imports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Infamous_Imports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How long did this install take?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's quick! Just cut the wire, add the wires that run to the switch, plug in to switch, DONE!

It depends on how deep the switch is mounted

Mine took over an hour
Old 07-16-2003, 07:30 PM

Default Re: kill switch probs. (Hybrid93Hatch)

I just checked the relay and the relay is good, according to the Honda Bible... just ran the diagnostics. I am beginning to suspect the ignition, it's tempremental, starts when it wants to, similar problem, fuel pump does not prime. Right now starts like a charm. But then again it does not totally rule out the relay though.

I'm gonna try a new key and see if that solves the problem. I've been told that an older worn key somehow does not make all the contacts, therefore intermitent starting problems.

As the guy first posted, he already disconnected the kill switch, so the switch nor the wire could be the problem.
Will keep you guys posted!
Old 07-16-2003, 07:40 PM

main relay is the main fuel relay. its the one that turns on the fuel pump. in hot weather it gets stuck in the closed position. but usually only when it is hot. main relay is about 50-60 dollars and is located by your knee in most cases. but like i said it only fails when it is hot. i.e. your car sitting in the hot sun all day at work.......
Old 07-17-2003, 06:57 AM

Default Re: kill switch probs. (CivicNA)

Thanks! That's what I thought you were talking about, but I just wanted to make sure.
Funny you should mention the car sitting in the heat, it has been in excess of 105 deg F the last few days and yesterday was the only day my car sat out in the heat pretty much all day and I hadstarting problems and before that the car was indoors, guess what no problems.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

now that i think about it, it does usually happen when its really hot outside. its been in the high 80s and 90s the last couple weeks and its been doin it more. i will try to check the relay
Old 07-20-2003, 12:08 PM

if you were so bold you can re sodder teh main relay but if you try make sure you have access to a new one the same day incase you cant do it. i do not know how to do it but i know it has been done and if done right it works great...
Old 07-22-2003, 08:04 AM

Just picked up a main relay, so far so good, no starting problems. I spoke to the person behind the parts desk and told her the symptoms of my problems and before I could finish, she said the main relay was the problem.

She had said that over time and heat the circuit board inside the relay melt or something like that and don't work as they should.

I opened up my old one, don't even know where to start.

Change the relay, and keep us informed if it worked or if it was just waste of money on a part you didn't really need.

Good luck!!!
Old 07-22-2003, 08:36 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSpimpTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i put a kill switch on my fuel pump. it was a low quality switch </TD></TR></TABLE>

how low quality ?

is it atleast 25A ? I have a 50A jsut ot make sure, and it work 100%
Old 07-26-2003, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicNA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">main relay is the main fuel relay. its the one that turns on the fuel pump. in hot weather it gets stuck in the closed position. but usually only when it is hot. main relay is about 50-60 dollars and is located by your knee in most cases. but like i said it only fails when it is hot. i.e. your car sitting in the hot sun all day at work.......</TD></TR></TABLE>

ever since you posted this, if it doesnt start, i tap the relay and it starts right up! now all i have to do is actually replace it. THANKS EVERYONE!!! I tech
Old 07-28-2003, 07:24 AM

COOL! Glad to help out.