Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Kill Sitches?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Kill Sitches?

How to make a killswitch and what type of kill switch is effective? What is the best way and safest kill switches to make? is it unsafe incase the switches don't work, such as in the middle of the road like if the switch fails?PLS what is the best way?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Kill Sitches?

heres a popular way of doing it
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/car-security-kill-switch-2076997/
effective? not really... its safe as long as u use a good switch with good connections. ive seen in cold weather it not work with a cheap-e switch. if your hoping a switch will protect you from getting jacked it won't. you will need to invest in afew security items but that wont stop a tow truck or a good theif
Old 01-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by john666
heres a popular way of doing it
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2076997
effective? not really... its safe as long as u use a good switch with good connections. ive seen in cold weather it not work with a cheap-e switch. if your hoping a switch will protect you from getting jacked it won't. you will need to invest in afew security items but that wont stop a tow truck or a good theif
depends on what you do. There was a crazy thread here a while back with **** that nobody would be able to take lol.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats the best type of switches
Old 01-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm... a guy around here had his hooked to his high beam switch which for sure saved his truck from getting stolen, but it sure didn't save half the interior that got ripped apart in the process. wire up some fog horns!
Old 01-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the FAQ thread in this forum has an article on how to wire up a kill switch if that's what you're looking for. I say only use good parts if you're going to do this as others have said. Go cheap and your car is not going to start one day and u'll be stuck wherever you are when it does.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard that the best are kill switches for the ecu, starter, or fuel pump, this is what I am thinkin about doin. I would be so surprised if a thief could figure it out. In any reasonable amount of time. Tell me what you think. I am thinking of using a 6 wire harness and i will wire in basically 3 kill switches( ecu, fuel pump, and starter), but instead of putting the wires in reasonable order on the plug i will connect them randomly on the female side, then on the male (which will be like my key) hook up the wires coming of the pins in the correct order. And then mount the plug plug (female side of course) somewhere hidden (haven't decidied on a spot yet, although i think under the dash would be good cause i already have plugs that aren't plugged in like srs it so would blend in well) That way even if a thief can find the plug he would have to spend whoever knows how long figuring out which wires he need to hook up to each other. I know it may take a little while to hook up but it seems like it would work really well. Heck know that I think about it I could use like a 12 wire harness that has some bogus wires that are just goin to some body bolt, that would really throw somebody off. I know that may be a little confusing but hopefully you get the idea.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my favorite is relay off the remote wire on my radio killing the ecu and fuel pump...no face plate no start
Old 01-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dang that is a ridiculously good idea, I think I might have to go for that idea, the only thing for me would be the fact i will probly lose the face plate, but i guess if i know where the relay is it wouldn't really matter as long as i can get some wire, did you think of that or the po
Old 01-25-2009, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by jsant07
my favorite is relay off the remote wire on my radio killing the ecu and fuel pump...no face plate no start
never heard of that, cool idea man!!!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how would that work? run a wire to the fuel pump from the remote wire so it turns on with the 12v going to the radio?
Old 01-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im thinking of making one that takes the ecu power and put it on a switch under the dash somewhere
Old 01-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Kill Switches?

you use a relay, if you dont know what a relay does (not trying to insult) its an automated switch that you can have activate when grounded or fed 12v whatever you choose (in this case 12v from the remote wire) then the relay has basically 2 inputs one output. one input is so when the relay is inactive, it remains open which in my case, cuts the fuel pump wire in half, the other remains close opening the circuit when active. and my relay just sits in the middle of the fuel pumps power wire. although you could have your remote wire feed the fuel pump it would draw too much and blow fuses all the time

Last edited by jsant07; 01-25-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good ideas thanks
Old 01-30-2009, 05:12 PM
h_s

go to a parts store and grab a 5 pin relay (standard part #RY-116) and some wire, connectors, solder (or crimp connectors) electrical tape and what not...

take your remote wire coming off your radio and hook it to the #85 terminal on your relay, find a good ground (back of the stereo is fine) and hook that to the #86 terminal.

now cut your fuel pump feed wire (i think its yellow w/green) hook one end up to the #30, and the other to the #87 of the relay, and your good to go
Old 01-31-2009, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by h_s
go to a parts store and grab a 5 pin relay (standard part #RY-116) and some wire, connectors, solder (or crimp connectors) electrical tape and what not...

take your remote wire coming off your radio and hook it to the #85 terminal on your relay, find a good ground (back of the stereo is fine) and hook that to the #86 terminal.

now cut your fuel pump feed wire (i think its yellow w/green) hook one end up to the #30, and the other to the #87 of the relay, and your good to go
sounds very interesting, but im having trouble visualizing what your talking about. Do you have pics/diagram?
Old 01-31-2009, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can we stop talking about this? All the thieves are reading this right now and its giving them more places to check
Old 01-31-2009, 06:50 PM
Banned

dosent matter if they read it a thief that this is going to stop dosent have time to look for a relay or a hidden switch.. its all about a smash and grab in and out.. now if someone really wants ur car well then there going to get it. but i would imagine that is about only 20% of the thiefs
Old 01-31-2009, 06:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jimster480
sounds very interesting, but im having trouble visualizing what your talking about. Do you have pics/diagram?

and if u cant follow those instructions or visualize what ur doing.. first look at a relay and then if u still cant not to offend u but u prolly shouldnt be cutting wires in ur car anyway
Old 01-31-2009, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bubba cola
and if u cant follow those instructions or visualize what ur doing.. first look at a relay and then if u still cant not to offend u but u prolly shouldnt be cutting wires in ur car anyway
no im just not sure what your talking about with the remote wiring comming off the radio
Old 01-31-2009, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats a good idea but how would it work? The connections?
Old 01-31-2009, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bubba cola
now if someone really wants ur car well then there going to get it. but i would imagine that is about only 20% of the thiefs
Uh wrong and wrong. If a thief really wants my car he will get it? With that kind of mentality, you might as well hit the back button. You just deemed yourself a prey right there. Thats like saying if I really wanted to keep my car, I would keep it. It all depends to the resources that they have. Are they planning on bringing a team and one in a bulldozer and smash your garage wide open to get it? Most likely not, it comes down to time. Think about it, would the thief try to jack your car for 30 minutes? Most likely not.

Its all about layers, you need to do everything that you can to slow em down. Shoot, I dont even plow in front of car when it snows if I'm not going out with it anytime soon. The next day I go out and make a wall of snow around it and throw cold water on top. Thieves better bring a shovel! haha jk that would be too much but its **** like that that will prevent them from taking your baby.

Convinience<--------------------------|---------------------------->Security

When it comes to security its kind of like a bar, the more security you have usually the more things you have to do. Imagine having no security on a door, you can just open it. Imagine trying to get by a door with 15 locks, steel door, etc. Gives you an idea. Taking 10 minutes to unlock all those locks, but hey it keeps the goods safe, better safe than sorry.

GO THE EXTRA MILE WHEN IT COMES TO SECURITY!
Old 01-31-2009, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty much all you need to know about car security:
http://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com...on6/index.html
http://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com....EG/index.html
Old 02-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

****, guy i bought my latest car from told me his buddy had his honda stolen out of his garage while he was asleep in the house. thieves had to move 2 cars and break into the garage to get to it but they did and he didnt wake up.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by alacard

THUMS UP

Quick Reply: Kill Sitches?