Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Key Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Issues

Okay, so I have a 2000 civic with the original 3 keys (2 master and 1 valet). When the previous owner (a family friend) gave me the keys she said this one is for the doors (master key) and this one is for the ignition (valet key).

I've owned cars with separate door and ignition keys in the past, granted they were older than this Civic, but I didn't really pay any attention to it until I read the manual which identified by keys. I've since tried both original master keys in the ignition, as well as a new key that was cut to code by the dealer and none of them will work in the ignition.

Obviously the lock cylinder works, because the valet key still works, has anyone else experienced a similar problem/have any advice? I don't mind having 2 keys, but reducing the size of my key chain would be nice.

EDIT: also the valet key will not open the driver's door like it is supposed to, it only turns the ignition.
The keys are the ones that the previous owner (2nd owner I think) were given when she bought the car, and she never had any work done to the ignition but has always used them as a pair for the door and ignition.
I don't think there has ever been any work done to the ignition switch as most replacement switches come with a 'master' style (big trapazoidal head) key not the valet style key (small round head).
Old 09-15-2015, 10:58 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Key Issues

Does the valet key unlock the doors? They could've gotten a new ignition set that came with a new key, slapped a honda emblem on it and called it a day. That would explain why the one from the dealership doesn't work yet opens the doors.

Ah dammit, you edited right as I posted. Most likely your scenario is what I described above. Looks like you're SOL unless you want to get an ignition cylinder that matches your OEM cut key.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Re: Key Issues

Unless your car is from a different country, there is no valet mode.

I think on this forum we have only seen a seperate ignition security control module on European up spec models. USA region you can steal the car with a hammer and screw driver