Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Keep your civic from being stolen

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Keep your civic from being stolen (SloCivicHMM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SloCivicHMM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">AUTOLOCK, FUEL CUT OFF, STARTER CUT OFF, ALARM, GLOCK 19, VDIEO CAM, and PIT BULL!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

i got a 110 pound pitbull and a glock on stand by
Old 12-11-2003, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (shorty)

Alarms dont do ****. I had a brand new viper 690 with ignition kill, hood pin, backup battery etc.. the whole deal... my car was stolen almost 3 weeks after the alarm was installed right infront of my school 7 spaces from the front door in broad day light. ALARMS DO NOT WORK!!! there are plenty of threads in this forum to find better ways to protect ur car. Other theft prevention would be not to talk to anyone about ur anti-theft devices, do not show off ur car, and make sure ur not followed home. I definitely made the mistake of telling almost everyone about my car etc... I will not make this mistake again. I dont even tell my friends about my car anymore.
ALARMS DO NOT WORK
BACKUP BATTERYS DO NOT WORK
PAGING ALARMS DO NOT WORK WELL

btw, lo jack is not GPS it is only in certain communities so once it leaves those areas it's gone. Viper has a new GPS tracking systems that looks very sweet. Circuit City is now selling it for around $700. I wish i had just spend the extra $200 on that and i would still have my car in one piece right now. if u can install alarms urself i would highly recommend installing it urself, there are always shady people at circuit city and the like that look for cars like ours to steal. Think about it what a better job for a theif, they will have all ur info and install the alarm themselves. They will know everything about u, and ur car. Just beware of everyone!!! I wish it didn't have to be that way but it is...
Old 12-11-2003, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i heard someone here mention befor that they knew a theif that would flatbed a car with siren blaring and everything. STUPID THEIVES!!! I got some hood pins but can't get the damn things on. I don't have the hood clearance between the hood and radiator support for the barrel to fit between.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pip9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pip9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alarms dont do ****. I had a brand new viper 690 with ignition kill, hood pin, backup battery etc.. the whole deal... my car was stolen almost 3 weeks after the alarm was installed right infront of my school 7 spaces from the front door in broad day light. ALARMS DO NOT WORK!!! there are plenty of threads in this forum to find better ways to protect ur car. Other theft prevention would be not to talk to anyone about ur anti-theft devices, do not show off ur car, and make sure ur not followed home. I definitely made the mistake of telling almost everyone about my car etc... I will not make this mistake again. I dont even tell my friends about my car anymore.
ALARMS DO NOT WORK
BACKUP BATTERYS DO NOT WORK
PAGING ALARMS DO NOT WORK WELL

btw, lo jack is not GPS it is only in certain communities so once it leaves those areas it's gone. Viper has a new GPS tracking systems that looks very sweet. Circuit City is now selling it for around $700. I wish i had just spend the extra $200 on that and i would still have my car in one piece right now. if u can install alarms urself i would highly recommend installing it urself, there are always shady people at circuit city and the like that look for cars like ours to steal. Think about it what a better job for a theif, they will have all ur info and install the alarm themselves. They will know everything about u, and ur car. Just beware of everyone!!! I wish it didn't have to be that way but it is...</TD></TR></TABLE>

thefts can do anythign to take your car, an alarm jsut slows them down.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Keep your civic from being stolen (pr0ject Eg6)

Have a POS! Then no one will even think of stealing it.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Keep your civic from being stolen (Cookie)

this sounds extreme, but I think running a large chaine through all your wheels with a crazy lock on it, is gonna make who ever wants to take it think twice. its a little crazy and time consuming but you can't drive that anywhere
Old 12-11-2003, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i saw on tv once

a clutch brake

anyone know what im talking about?
Old 12-11-2003, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Keep your civic from being stolen (migitsrcool21)

that big *** chain idea has been used before on an 1971 plymouth barracuda that was one of only 3 still left the guy burried a big *** eyelit that had a 4 foot rod buried in concrete and the links of the chain were 1 inch thick.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stock93cx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stock93cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thefts can do anythign to take your car, an alarm jsut slows them down. </TD></TR></TABLE>

really thanks for the reply If they know how to steal a car, it will not slow them down much at all. There are way better ways to protect ur car other than wasting money on an alarm. A police officer told me after my car got stolen that alarms dont do **** in public parking lots and lone spaces. There pretty much only good if ur within the distance to hear it, otherwise no one will pay attention to it. My friend was waiting after school for his ride and noticed that 4 alarms went off just while i was talking to the police about my car being taken. Alarms do not do ****, unless u want to sit by ur car all day long.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:36 PM

Default Re: (EricUSC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EricUSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I hear that you should not have your alarm installed by Best Buy, Circuit City, or any of these kind of stores because they may not take their time to do the job right. Of course, your results may vary among the different installers. You are better off with a less expensive, well installed alarm than a more expensive alarm that was installed quickly. If you want your alarm to just function, Best Buy would do, but, if you want an installer to take his time and hide eveything, then I would go to a reputable alarm shop in your area.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats bullshit. I am Install Sup at Best Suy and I know that every one of my installers takes their time and does it the way it is supposed to be done. Just because we are a retail store doesnt mean that we dont take our time or any of that ****. We as installers still have reputations to keep up in the area and we dont like letting shitty work leave.

I have had my 00 Si stolen from righ tin front of my house and there is still no way of stopping a flatbed.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:11 PM

Yeah, there is no way to guarentee your car from getting stolen. Only ways to make it harder so maybe they go try to find something easier to steal. You can also slow them down quite a bit.

An alarm is a must even though you can get around them. Battery backup sirens are your friend as long as you mount them where you can't get to them. I'm not going to say how but if you can get to the siren there is a very easy way to make it super quiet, almost like a whisper. I suggest mounting a few of them. I like having one under the hood like everyone else but also add one inside the car like under the driver seat. To get it they have to remove the driver seat which takes time. Another good place is in the bumper support. If you get it back there and get creative it will be super hard to get to. Do one in the front and rear bumper.

I seen that someone said it was bad to get it installed at Best Buy, CC, etc. etc. Most of them do good work. You can get a bad installer anywhere so it doesn't matter. My biggest complaint about getting it installed by any store is that without even seeing your car, I can tell you where most the wires are tapped into your system. And where the brain is as well as the starter kill relay. They all do it the same. Not because they are lazy, but partially because it is the most efficient way for them to do it and is acceptable for most vehicles. Unfortunatly Honda's are just thief magnets so they need a little more attention. Also, stores aren't allowed to cut into certain wires and such for liability/warranty reasons. One of the things they all do is wire your starter kill relay as always on so all you have to do is unplug or cut power from the alarm and that relay is no good. I like them wired always off so if you cut the power to the alarm in anyway, that relay is cutting the ignition. Only way around it is to find the relay and jump some wires. The only downside to this is that if you blow an alarm fuse or the alarm malfunctions for any reason your car won't start.

Another great step is a fuel cut off switch hidden. Heck, do a couple of them for when you need to park in real bad places. Clifford alarms has a feature that is wireless fuel cut off. It uses a "kill switch" that is controlled remotely from the alarm brain. Beauty in that is you can put it anywhere and there are no wires to it so you can't trace back to it to bypass it.

Autolock.... Great item and less than $50. I know there are ways around it but it takes time. Not only does it keep the clutch or brake from being depressed, it just kind of gets in the way down there so trying to "work" under the dash is a little more difficult. I would definatly get one and use it often since it is so simple. Don't even bother with the club, you can get around that in less than 10 seconds and is considered a joke by most car thieves so they will target the car with the club just to laugh about it.

And then there is the issue of towing. You can try to park where it will be difficult to get hooked on to it. I personally don't worry about it at home but unlike most of you, I live on a large large large piece of land with a long long driveway, a couple "nightwatch" dogs, lots of guns, and my family kind of has the rep of being gun crazy wackos that will shoot anything or anyone for any reason so people tend to stay away.

But here is a product that I think is great and could really slow down the rate of stolen cars. Check it out, its a GPS tracking system by Clifford that you can check the location of your car from any internet connection or with a simple phone call.

http://www.clifford.com/matrix/gps/default.asp

Hopefully this info I have given saves at least one of you from having your car stolen.....
Old 12-11-2003, 06:21 PM

Default Re: (TwistedSI)

take ur ECU with you...
Old 12-11-2003, 06:26 PM
Sushi Buffet Champion

Default Re: (swatdog)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by swatdog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

+

+

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha
Old 12-11-2003, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GapxGuy)

how about this buy a car boot, wouldn't that do the job and just boot ur own car when you go out et cetera and i will bet it will still be there when u get back, i dunno about the interior or anything else but at least the shell will be
Old 12-11-2003, 07:24 PM

fuel cutoff switch is a must....

club is useful if u have clubshield..which is metal...i have that on my car...
Old 12-11-2003, 09:05 PM

Default Re: (PearlWhiteAccord)

The reason I think the backup battery is a must is for 2 reasons.
1. If they cut the power wire to the main bettery or remove the negative you still have power to a siren.
2. And 2 if you hide it well (or request the installer at Best Buy for example to hide it well) its much less likely a thief will take the time to find it if they do cut the possotive of the main battery and the back up siren keeps going.
Bottom line is if a thief cant get in and out fast they will leave it.

P.S. I just wanted to add that it really eats me up inside when I see all these posts about cars being stolen. I have AT LEAST 150+ hours of work Ive done on my car and couldnt imagine what it would feel like to have someone take it.
It goes back to the old saying that it takes much more time and effort to create something than to destroy it.

P.P.S These little seurity guards on golf carts arent worth the $7 an hour their being paid
Old 12-11-2003, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Keep your civic from being stolen (SloCivicHMM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SloCivicHMM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">AUTOLOCK, FUEL CUT OFF, STARTER CUT OFF, ALARM, GLOCK 19, VDIEO CAM, and PIT BULL!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

W3rd got everything but the pit... my parents wont let me get one they say that they are dangerous dogs that turn on their owners

anyways, I do have a golden, but he'll want to play with the damn theives... not try and stop them lol
Old 12-12-2003, 01:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Keep your civic from being stolen (EGRhatch)

I'll add something to this thread.

If you have an alarm installed, try to have someone that you know do it. My friend works at an audio shop, I had him install it. I knew I could trust him. Also, try not to let shops keep your car overnight. I had a shop install a turbo kit on my Si. They had it for three days. A few months later, the car was stolen while I was in class. I was only in class for an hour. The shop, during those three days, probably had a copy of my key made, found my validation switch, or even just had a copy of my remote made.

Since then, I've forced myself to learn how to work on my car. I'll never let any shop keep my car overnight. If I ever had to (like if I got in a wreck) I'd have my locks changed afterwards.

Also, Progressive insurance offers extra equipment coverage. You can get up to $5000 of extra coverage for an $20 a month. Worth it IMO.

Old 12-12-2003, 01:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Keep your civic from being stolen (HondaCutter)

I have it rigged up so if someone tries to pop the ignition they get sprayed with a hidden pepper spray directly on there face. It took my 3 months to perfectly hide it and for me to get adjusted to where I don’t spray my own damn self . I only know about it and now H-T but no one on H-T knows where I live, what kinda car I drive. so haha!!!

So car jack, car pop, car towed…what ever the thief will eventually get sprayed and hopefully die!!!!
Old 12-12-2003, 02:32 AM

Default Re: Keep your civic from being stolen (migitsrcool21)

my best bet is just sit out in the poarch with a 12guage shotgun and a USP45 just incase things go wrong and you have your USP45 to take action for tactical use only
Old 12-12-2003, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Keep your civic from being stolen (Miles85916)

i'm telling u boot ur own car keep in the trunk, then if u illegally park and a cop comes by they are like ohh another cop already got him forget it and drives off hehe, BOOT IT
Old 12-12-2003, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Keep your civic from being stolen (Soccerking3000)

Get an autolock for sure, its cheap, and a nice added layer of protection.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stock93cx)

To keep your car from getting stolen ride on OEM wheels (HX or VX are good). Get a tekniq auto snap-off steering wheel hub. Put your ECU in and easy spot to reach so you can take that with you. Strip the car yourself, including all the audio system. Relocate you door locks/install bolt locks. Relocate your hood release latch and cable. blablabla, ahh screw it, leave your car at home in your garage and bum rides.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:45 PM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: (jolt-tsp)

autolock and 2 kill switches is good enough for me
Old 12-12-2003, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AzntaggeR)

What is autoloc?? Sorry for the noob question.

Quick Reply: Keep your civic from being stolen