Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

KAAZ LSD?

Old 09-27-2004, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KAAZ LSD?

I am looking into buying a b16a tranny and is has a KAAZ LSD already installed. Is this a good type of LSD?
Old 09-27-2004, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: KAAZ LSD? (turbotime)

for drifting its one of the best what are the specs on this LSD???
Old 09-27-2004, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he doesnt give any specs just Kaaz LSd and 4.40 FD
Old 09-27-2004, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbotime)

yeah its all japanese to me i know about LSD's in Nissan bump for you
Old 09-27-2004, 07:16 PM

Default Re: (BlckBeautyVTEC)

Probably a KAAZ 1 way, which means it only locks under acceleration. Just make sure the plates are in good shape, by either asking about it or taking the diff apart. (1st option is much easier.)
Old 09-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Electrician

Why not try to find a factory B16 with LSD? The Kaaz unit might be a great unit, but the money it runs for, PLUS the money you need to do the install (unless you are bolting it on yourself), PLUS the money you need for the Kaaz transmission fluid (from what I've read, you can ONLY run this fluid which needs to be changed every 10k and costs about $50). This is from what I've read on H-T. Don't quote me.

I do believe someone on here with a boosted D16Y8 installed the Kaaz unit and made a write-up about it.

EDIT: Here you go:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=768591
Old 09-27-2004, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the kaaz is already installed in the tranny... moreover the cost is $900 for all of it, tranny, 4.40FD and kazz, all installed with less then 20k km, which i think is a killer deal
Old 09-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^
Old 09-27-2004, 10:05 PM

if your tryin to pick up girls in your ride, i wouldnt suggest it. for instance, your tryin to look cool cruisin by a hot chick, then you make the turn at a corner and your car starts clunking very loudly, sounding like its gonna fall apart. then the girl thinks you have drive a busted a$$ car. but this is normal operation for a kazz lsd. not to mention high maintenence. im trying to sell mine for a quaife.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ahh **** really u got a kazz? is it reall that loud as to make your car sound busted?
Old 09-27-2004, 10:37 PM

yes. i thought i got ripped off too. then i did a search on ht for kaaz, found pretty much the same thing. thats normal operation. loud and clunky and you can also feel it in your steering wheel. and if your going around a sharp enough corner, its loud. you have to rebuild it every year or so. and it requires special friction modifiers added to your fluid. oh yeh fluid supposed to be changed every time you change you oil too. as for a quaife, lifetime warranty, doesnt need to be rebuilt, and uses regular fluid.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:55 PM

Default Re: (fantabulous)

my homie has the kaaz limited slip 2 way on his 240sx, that **** clunks and makes noises like something is broken..... and yeah he buys that 50 dollar oil lubricant thats u gotta use for it as well.......... but i heard nothing but good stuff about it.... as for quaife lsd i heard they arent that great and u would be better off gettin factory lsd, because i have heard of them breaking on people. but i wouldnt personaly kno but its my 2 cents enjoy peace out
Old 09-27-2004, 11:53 PM

Default Re: (gezer)

Quaife is without a doubt THE BEST LSD for everyday use. Basically everything but gravel/snow is where the Quaife will shine. No questions asked lifetime guarantee doesn't hurt either!
Old 10-02-2004, 07:23 AM
Jer

Default Re: (Team 4)

wow! this site spreads horrible rummors like the plague. please, for those of you who have never owned a kaaz or at least driven one, quit with all the bashing.

first off, they are NOT high maintenance. yes you need ot change the tranny fluid regularly( i change mine with every other oil change) but you DO NOT have to buy kaaz fluid. you can just go buy any 80-90 gear oil and add in a half a bottle of transx friction modifier. this will cost about 8 bucks total per change. and if you run friction modifier and the lsd was properly broken in, there will be almost NO clicking/clunking whatsoever.

mine only makes the slightest of clicking when first starting the motor and turning at very low speeds. after a minute there is no clicking. I autox and track my car and i previously had a jdm itr lsd. hands down the kaaz if far superior in every department.

now for whoever said they need rebuilt every year, now that's just plain stupid. if you change the fluid regularly it will most likely outlast your motor. they average 60-70k miles under racing conditions. so if you are doing a lot of easy street driving, it should last around 100k.

to the guy who said it sounds like his car "b3 bR0ken wheN !m [email protected] da giRli3S", drain the honda mtf from your tranny and run the right fluid. if you are running mtf, yes your tranny will be noisy and notchy and might even cause an axle to break.

900 for a kaaz b16 tranny sounds like a good deal. i say go for it
Old 10-02-2004, 11:35 PM

Default Re: (Jer)

interesting, ive been running transx too.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Jer

Default Re: (fantabulous)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fantabulous &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">interesting, ive been running transx too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

was your lsd broken in properly or did you just go out and beat on it as soon as you got it? if the clutches do not get a good break in, they will not seat right and as they slip it will bind and result in the clunking chatter you hear and feel.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:14 PM

Default Re: (Jer)

yep. broken in and everything. had bunch of people come over who had experience with kaaz, said it was normal. i guess u got lucky and got the "good" one off the assembly line.