Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

k20 Swap in a 00 si

Old 11-28-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k20 Swap in a 00 si

Hey guys,

I am trying to find a good shell of a 00 civic si, but I had one big question..
If you buy a shell, and you buy a k20 engine, what do you have to do to make sure you match up the vins so you don't get your ride confiscated from the police? Like on all engine swaps thats were not originally for your car what do you do?
Old 11-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

isn't if the motor equal or is newer then the chasis and passes emissions its fine?
Old 11-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'00 EM1 with a K20.

When a thief steals that he's gonna get a ****-load more than he bargained for!!

I don't know much about Cali legal stuff, but I do believe I know enough to answer your questions.
A) Have all the documentation that shows you purchased the motor, the receipt with the seller and the VIN on it.
B) As long as the engine is the same year or newer than the shell it's legally swappable - it just can't be older.
C) It has to pass the smog test, I don't believe there's any exceptions to that.

I believe if you have the above you're golden, though somebody from Cali might want to refute/support that.

EDIT:
For B: - I would make sure the seller is the last known registered owner of that VIN as a whole car - so you don't get that whole "well how do we know he didn't steal it? His name isn't the last registered owner!" gig from the popo. Carfax can tell you that.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as long as the motor is newer then the car your good
Old 11-29-2008, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Syndacate
'00 EM1 with a K20.

When a thief steals that he's gonna get a ****-load more than he bargained for!!

I don't know much about Cali legal stuff, but I do believe I know enough to answer your questions.
A) Have all the documentation that shows you purchased the motor, the receipt with the seller and the VIN on it.
B) As long as the engine is the same year or newer than the shell it's legally swappable - it just can't be older.
C) It has to pass the smog test, I don't believe there's any exceptions to that.

I believe if you have the above you're golden, though somebody from Cali might want to refute/support that.

EDIT:
For B: - I would make sure the seller is the last known registered owner of that VIN as a whole car - so you don't get that whole "well how do we know he didn't steal it? His name isn't the last registered owner!" gig from the popo. Carfax can tell you that.
No one is gonna steal my **** guaranteed. It's never coming out a garage and when it does you have to steal it at gun point thats for sure, but were gonna exchange shots back and forth first..

Also so if I swap the k20 and i have the receipts etc Im good? Maybe just take it to a local ref. so they can give me a waiver? Or something.. Also, For now I am planning on geting a b16a2 to swap it in so I can atleast drive it to the planned garage, I have that houses a couple cars already, All the b16 engines around san diego suck ***, with like 100k miles on them im looking for around 20k-70k if anyone knows where some are??

Also yeah Im not trying to get popped Im already on probation for street racing and when the san diego sheriff see me in another si their gonna be totally pissed off.. haha so of course I want everything to be legal so I can drive away with a middle finger up of course..