Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

k20

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k20

just woundering why k series motors are mounted backwards with the intake manifold in the front...?
Old 06-08-2007, 03:34 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Because that's how they were designed.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:36 PM

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because that's how they were designed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Short & Sweet FTW!
Old 06-08-2007, 03:37 PM

really? never would have thought of that....i meant is there a reason..
Old 06-08-2007, 03:40 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (StockRedEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StockRedEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">really? never would have thought of that....i meant is there a reason..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you see how it would be difficult to mount that the "normal" way?

The oil pan, bell housing, mounting locations, etc etc etc would all have to change.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: k20 (StockRedEK)

"The K20A DOHC i-VTEC engine is the first of Honda's new-generation inline four-cylinder engines. It is the manufacturer's first transversely mounted I4 that turns clockwise with the transaxle placed inline on the left side of the engine/vehicle. All other Honda transverse fours to date have turned counterclockwise, with the transmission on the right. This oddity was the legacy of the SOHC inline two-cylinder engine designed by engineering prodigy Nobuhiko Kawamoto, who years later ascended to the presidency of the company. The pint-size twin 0.360-L engine powered the Life light car of the early '70s. To provide enough foot space for the driver, the engine was pushed to the left and made to turn counterclockwise so that it could drive the inline transaxle without an extra gearset. The first-generation Civic engine, a 1.2-L unit, was essentially two Life engines coupled together. The unconventional design wisdom stuck and has since been the hallmark of all Honda I4s. All Honda V6s, which are of more recent designs, rotate clockwise."

Citation: http://www.sae.org/automag/glo...2.htm

More info there. Enjoy!
Old 06-08-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Re: k20 (B18CivicEJ8)

thnx i was just woundering...
Old 06-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Do you see how it would be difficult to mount that the "normal" way?

The oil pan, bell housing, mounting locations, etc etc etc would all have to change.</TD></TR></TABLE>

such a beautiful site. i want one so bad
Old 06-19-2007, 12:31 AM

Default Re: (little dx that could)

Clean motor
Old 06-19-2007, 12:37 AM

Default Re: (Timjdmcb7)

doing a swap as we speak

k-series

girdle kicksass, heads kickass, timing chains kickass, arp head studs kickass(not stock)
rdx 5whp freebie kicks ***, bolt on response kickass,
Old 06-19-2007, 12:39 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by little dx that could &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

such a beautiful site. i want one so bad </TD></TR></TABLE>

it can be done, buy why? to have a 13 second car that runs backwards? rear engine rwd ftw!
Old 06-19-2007, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

B series 4 life!
Old 06-19-2007, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well short and sweet air comes through the grill from the front so it would be smarter to make the exhaust in the back because inevidabley that is were it would end up. makes sense its just harder for us to work on.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:30 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (big-cat)

H &gt; K

For about $3600 I can do the same or faster times at a track than k20 swaps out of the box.

And I still have $6400 to do whatever I want to the H, like sleeving it and running 12lbs. Which would probably put the damn thing in the low 11's.

k20 FTL. Nice motor and all, but it's ridiculous what it costs to put the SOB in. It's not a bang for buck motor in any degree.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">H &gt; K

For about $3600 I can do the same or faster times at a track than k20 swaps out of the box.

And I still have $6400 to do whatever I want to the H, like sleeving it and running 12lbs. Which would probably put the damn thing in the low 11's.

k20 FTL. Nice motor and all, but it's ridiculous what it costs to put the SOB in. It's not a bang for buck motor in any degree.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just cause you cant afford it and can't do the labor your self doesnt mean it sucks.

keep your opinion to your self. you didnt even respond to the OP. And why dont you just save your money and get the Close Deck H Block and do 12 PSI on it.
Oh wait PSI is not what matters, it is not what stresses the Cylinder Walls and it is NOT what makes engines blow up. STFU. horsepower, stress, detonation, hot spots take your pick.

The K-series sprins opposite to the B and D and H the design is more efficient due to the fact that the intake stays cooler being in the front and the exhaust has less bends

Old 06-19-2007, 05:57 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (highrev1987)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highrev1987 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just cause you cant afford it and can't do the labor your self doesn't mean it sucks.

keep your opinion to your self. you didn't even respond to the OP
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can do motor swaps. I've helped plenty of people do b, H, and one K swap. It's not rocket science. The Op's question had already been solved. Why should I reinforce it. I was responding to someone elses reply.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highrev1987 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The K-series sprins opposite to the B and D and H the design is more efficient due to the fact that the intake stays cooler being in the front and the exhaust has less bends</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you, Captain Obvious. I know that the k20 is the worlds premier four cylinder. Lotus owner's are even putting them in their cars.

It's a sick motor, but for $10,000 in an econobox I could figure out a lot of other ways to go a lot faster. Likely for less headache and pioneering. And keep a/c.

I'm taking out a student loan and doing an h2b build, it's going to cost me about $5000 and I'm expecting low 12's naturally aspirated. So don't give me **** about not being able to afford a build, i've had opportunities to buy k swaps for $3000-4000. I've got money for a k swap. I just see it as impractical and an even less efficient means of making my car faster/trackable.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I can do motor swaps. I've helped plenty of people do b, H, and one K swap. It's not rocket science. The Op's question had already been solved. Why should I reinforce it. I was responding to someone elses reply.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. I know that the k20 is the worlds premier four cylinder. Lotus owner's are even putting them in their cars.

It's a sick motor, but for $10,000 in an econobox I could figure out a lot of other ways to go a lot faster. Likely for less headache and pioneering. And keep a/c.

I'm taking out a student loan and doing an h2b build, it's going to cost me about $5000 and I'm expecting low 12's naturally aspirated. So don't give me **** about not being able to afford a build, i've had opportunities to buy k swaps for $3000-4000. I've got money for a k swap. I just see it as impractical and an even less efficient means of making my car faster/trackable.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are an Idiot, quit life. this is not an Internet dick measuring contest. for a guy who hates pioneering. you sure are on that Civette guys dick. A student loan does not mean you can afford a swap it means you are dumb enough to put your self in a financially crippling situation. get a FREAKING JOB. I expect a Build Thread of this H2B your building.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

taking a student loan out does not mean you have money, it means exactly the opposite, and no other motor takes so well to bolt ons as a K does..... its sexy!!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Re: (cmasonrun)

lmafo at student loan dude this guy is pulling 5 grand at 20-25 percent, ****** is better off uying a new car lmao

plus i highly doubt ek forever guy knows even what he's talking about, but yea bro(orignal poster) if you need k swap help hit me up only through pms or posts like this, i dont like posting build threads the time it took me to write the bullshit and take photos coulda been spent bolting something togthere plus it gives ***** like ek forever false hope and bench racing ideas
Old 06-19-2007, 09:50 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highrev1987 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are an Idiot, quit life. this is not an Internet dick measuring contest. for a guy who hates pioneering. you sure are on that Civette guys dick. A student loan does not mean you can afford a swap it means you are dumb enough to put your self in a financially crippling situation. get a FREAKING JOB. I expect a Build Thread of this H2B your building. </TD></TR></TABLE>

he truly is, and he is a fake...................there will be no build thread....................speed shops dont let you into their shop area and claim it to be your work ahahahahaha

btw ek forever since you're probably stupid engough not to get what we are implying we are bagging on you for lack of knowledge, idiocricy and we are stating you arent going to do any of the work yourself hahahahahahahaha

for real engine builders and real guys into the scene
Old 06-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because that's how they were designed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What a moron... No wonder HT sucks so bad...

The people they have representing the site these days... I feel like throwing up
Old 06-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (Jon V)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jon V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What a moron... No wonder HT sucks so bad...

The people they have representing the site these days... I feel like throwing up </TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm, that is how they were designed. For reasons previously stated. It made more sense to do it that way.

Since when were loans "financially crippling"? I bet your parents have a loan on their house or their cars. Are they financially crippled? As a matter of fact the loan I'm getting has 0% interest until I graduate. I have 3 years to pay off a $7,000 loan. I think I can handle it.

Modified by ek forever guy at 12:04 PM 6/19/2007
Old 06-19-2007, 11:06 AM

Why would anyone ever even bother questioning that?

You should give Honda a shout, and let em know what ya think about the way they designed their K20, Im sure they would just love to hear your reasoning behind your questioning..

Old 06-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Umm, that is how they were designed. For reasons previously stated. It made more sense to do it that way. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm... that was the very first post in the thread... You guys really shouldn't even post if you don't know what you are talking about or don't want to help. people don't come on here to post and ask question just so they can hear your dumb *** opinions on why they should or should now do a certain swap, if thats what they wanted to hear thats what they would ask about...

And for someone with a specail "White OPs" title I would have expected a little more intelligent answer, or nothing at all. Thats why H-T has been going down the tubes for years... Tools like you guys...

It mounts backwards because it spins the other way

K20a.org for K series info...
Old 06-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Jon V)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jon V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">UIt mounts backwards because it spins the other way</TD></TR></TABLE>

Jon V, you're the hemorrhoid of this website. Go smear some Preparation H on yourself and chill the **** out. Get back to us when you learn to use the English language at better than a second grade level.

The K-series spins in the opposite direction of D/B/H/F series motors and, thus, the transmission rotates in the opposite direction as well. This necessitates the engine being mounted as you see it in the K-series cars because if it were mounted otherwise the transmission would have six very nice reverse gears and a single very tall forward gear

From an engineering standpoint, it makes sense having the exhaust in the back and the intake in the front as it saves on materials - like tubing and bracing - and makes more sense from an air-flow point of view.

Quick Reply: k20