Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

just turned down a EM1...

Old 10-25-2007, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just turned down a EM1...

So anyways, I've been trying to buy this black 2000 Civic Si for about 3 weeks. The seller is the original owner and just came back from work week across the state. The car has 105kish miles.

Well he finally came but it wasn't what I was expecting.. I asked him if there were any accidents and he said no but the rear bumper was clearly repainted and the little peice under the tail light was misaligned.. one of the front fenders was missing the VIN sticker, and the seller overall kept quiet and stayed 20 feet away with his friend while I examined the car.

He was asking $7700.. problems with the car: minor dings all around, scratches, rear bumper repainted obviously an accident, maybe replaced a front fender, probly needs a new clutch within 6 months, no radio and worse, the radio wires were ******* cut BEHIND the stock harness..

good things about the car, original owner, pretty ok mileage, and I really want an 99-00si.

well i told him i got 6500 cash and he said he was firm on 7700. so i said alright i got 7000(honest) and that i didnt like to negotiate or beat around the bush but he said no. the whole time his friend is talking some stupid **** about kbb being 11,000, then when i said kbb was 7,000, he start saying well kbb don't really mean ****.. yea right. of course you have the usual, his friend and my friend debating about things wrong with the car and about the value etc etc, i know my hondas and what they are worth so i just put out an offer i feel there's no need to talk since the guy be lying and dont wanna talk anyways

so its a no deal

so then 20 minutes later he calls me and says 7200.. i say no i only got 7000, he says ok 7000 plus you drive me home (about 30-40min away, at 9:30pm), by this time im annoyed because like I said i hate to beat around the bush, and I never talk **** like point out problems or whatever because its his car he should know the problems.

so basically i just said no i've reconsidered and if i want the car ill pick it up sometime in the morning another day and that he should go home..

but basically his shady demeanor and attitude pretty much turned me off.. if he had said that there was a minor accident on the rear bumper i wouldn't have cared... or if he had told me the radio was stolen i wouldn't care(what kind of dumb *** shop cut the stock harness, just make more work for them..). but basically he blatanly lied about all the problems i could see, what else might be wrong?

basicalyl i just need to vent because i kinda wanted that car but the owner was just being too shady. and the car wasnt nothing special, it was average at best except its a clean title si which is hard to find in my area. overall its just a civic but im a honda lover so you know

but yea just wanted to get it off my chest, i hope i didnt make a bad decision, i know 7 for that car its not great nor bad its just ok. but im sick of buying cars and having to put radios in, replace this and that, bla bla bla. especially the most i ever spent on a car was 5g's and that was for a clean *** original owner 95 gsr. i rather spend 8 and get a really clean car with a nice owner who's honest

man i wish i could find the perfect car for me, i hope the owner of my hatch is treating her well..
Old 10-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You made the right choice. With that kind of douche behind the wheel you dont know wtf could have gone wrong. EM1s arent too hard to find and they arent all that expensive as they used to be. I see them going clean for $6500-7000 max these days.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:39 PM

dont rush, and take your time.
thats what i did and got a great deal for my car
Old 10-26-2007, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey man i know it's rough to have let that go, but sounds like that's mad high for what was wrong with it. I just bought a black EM1 for 5500 with 113k on the clock and that was in an accident and was fixed up pretty decently with a new paintjob. I feel like an idiot cuz I think i could have probably brought it down more. def check up on craigslist in the area, that's where i found mine.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:56 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (jfang)

I really wanted an EM1. I bought a GSR because it was available faster...and I needed a daily. I had a 00 galant as a daily, and I REALLY REALLY hated that car lol. Try having an S2000 that you couldn't drive (winter time) sitting in the garage and driving a Galant. eugh.

So long story short, I got a KILLER deal on a 99 GSR. I bought it....and ONE WEEK LATER, THERE WAS A CLEAN TITLE EM1 WITH 65K ON IT FOR $8900.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just turned down a EM1... (motonewbie1)

that sounds like the best decision. If he was being shady about that stuff who knows what else could have been wrong with it.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You made the right choice. Sounds like a crappy car and seller. Plus there might have more things wrong that you couldn't plainly see, especially considering he didn't mention a lot of the things you just said. Just keep being patient, something will come your way.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just turned down a EM1... (00ekcoupe)

you made right choice bro...no need to rush...
and plus even though si's are a lil rarer than ex, lx, ect...
they are still easy to find because they are always up for sale...

take your time and perhaps save a lil more money in case you run into a good condition low miles si.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:26 AM

thanks for the kind words.. good thing i have a lot of experience with buying hondas.. only reason im kind of rushing is because i have no car right now and its rainy season and i cant ride my bike... im thinking about just getting a clean *** EX but if an Si goes up for sales I'd probly be kicking myself..

i guess i can settle for a clean ex if i get a killer deal like 4k or even 4.5 for a 2000
Old 10-26-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Re: (motonewbie1)

i Give you Kudos for sticking to your guns on that one . SERIOUSLY. Good job. I hate when people low ball and try to mess with your head. I had a terrible month last month with bad decisions. I sold my 94 Si for 2250 when i wanted 2500. I bought a swapped civic with no inteior practically for 4750 and then sold my pontiac grand prix gtp for only 2900 when i wanted 3600. Since then ive learned not to take the first offer and just be patient. I had to drive to the city numerous times to get all the stuff to complete my interior and it was a pain in the *** but now its done and i am finally happy. Everyone told me i made a bad decision which i thought i did too, but it turned out better than expected. Moral of the story.

Just be patient and good things will come. you will find that car. Just keep searching craigslist and honda-tech its out there.

Peace
Old 10-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good choice. Sounded like a shady deal with a car that may have given you lots of problems down the road and taken lots of $ out of your pocket.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be happy that you turned it down.
If you take your time and Look youll find one.
Even if you have to drive a couple hours.

There is a small dealer in the town over from mine and they had a EBP with 44K original miles for 10,500. I wanted to try and get it but i just fixed my car up with a c5 out of wrecked hatch.

GL searching.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ifIexplode)

I agree with all of these guys, you should be DAMN happy you didn't buy that car. Once I bought a car from a guy just like the one your talking about, I payed too much for the car and then like a week or two later I was under the car and saw where the rear frame had been pulled out after it had been in a wreck. Then the damn engine spun a rod bearing for no damn reason ( I think he had like 90 weight oil in the engine to keep it from knocking).

So... If you would have bought it you would have found frame damage and then the engine would have blown, so good job not buying it
Old 10-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Too many red flags. Good job on walking away.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (p nut)

like everyone else has said def a good job on NOT picking that up. just 2 days ago my friend picked up a perfectly clean SI(body and title) for 6200. just take you time, and remember to consider all your options!
Old 10-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Regardless of how the car was, you NEVER want to do business with someone like that. If you cant even be upfront and civilized with talking to the owner, you can imagine dealing with problems that may (in this case: will) occur.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i didnt rush the car came to me civic hb for $500
Old 10-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bcpEG)

lol i payed 650 for my civic ex. unfortuanately its ricey but if u take ur time u will find somthing an old memay drove and have a helluva car. gl
Old 10-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crxricer66)

nice decision. That guy sounds like an idiot. Screw people like that....you'll find the right one eventually
Old 10-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boost_V)

i had this same problem all the civic's in my area are all messed up or have been in an axcident and i wanted a virgin one, one that has never been touched besides routine maintance. but it took me like 3 months and i had to drive 3 hours to up north wisconsin (i live in milwaukee) to get it and im very happy with the wait and what i got so i would ait to find what you really want dont just settle
Old 10-26-2007, 09:16 PM

do a car faxs to see ifs it been in a car acident but any way 100+ is getting old i got a 2000 Si with 6500K for dirt cheap but thats the LA price on the car plus it wasnt in perfect condition and it had a JDM b16 not a A2 but i would agree u made the right choice wait and find somthing your happy with it was hard to make the 7g's dont let it go easy..
Old 10-27-2007, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

6500 sounds fine for that car
Old 10-27-2007, 01:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spintboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spintboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont rush, and take your time.
thats what i did and got a great deal for my car</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep! gotta have patience when gettin a car. if i checked out a car with some lights misaligned then its an automatic NO
Old 10-27-2007, 02:04 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

That car sounded like a pile of ****. Your description makes it sound like it was worth maybe $3000.

I'd just look for a nice EX honestly. What is it about the Si that makes you want it so badly over the other trims?
Old 10-27-2007, 02:49 AM
MEAT PATTY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (NOFX)

You definitely make the right decision. I wouldn't purchase a car from anyone who is acting shady about obvious flaws with the car. One of the very reasons why I will never buy a modified car, because people always rig stuff.

The worst is always yet to come, when you get the car home and start working on it to find out thats its been in a front end accident and rear end accident. Or you find wiring nightmares underneath the dash and ect.......

Your made the right choice. Another one always comes along believe me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: just turned down a EM1...