Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is just taking the belt off for no powersteering really bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is just taking the belt off for no powersteering really bad?

Wassup errbody.
i hope all is good!!
but yeah..i've heard many stories that you can and you cant.
i understand you should switch racks and all
but why cant you just take the belt off and keep the p/s pump filled up?
thanks.
Ohh..I have a Civic dx 95
Heres pic of the belt taken off.
What hoses do i need to loop, if any??

Old 08-15-2008, 03:48 AM

Default Re: Is just taking the belt off for no powersteering really bad? (Omega Blaze)

what are you trying to do exactly? disable your power steering without completely uninstalling it??
Old 08-15-2008, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is just taking the belt off for no powersteering really bad? (mizzoEG)

To Get rid of the parasitic drag without going throught all of the hassle.
And get down to the bottom of...
will just taking the belt off mess up anything major,
and keep the p/s pump filled up.

Modified by Omega Blaze at 5:09 AM 8/15/2008

Modified by Omega Blaze at 5:21 AM 8/15/2008
Old 08-15-2008, 04:36 AM

Default Re: Is just taking the belt off for no powersteering really bad? (Omega Blaze)

Are you serious? I really can't answer that question accurately because I don't have much knowledge about how power steering works, but I wouldn't try driving around with my P/S belt hanging, just doesn't seem smart at all.

Just man up and take the time to uninstall your power steering assembly, it can't be that difficult. I mean if a whopping +2 horsepower gain means that much to you then just do it, and take out you're A/C while you're at it.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is just taking the belt off for no powersteering really bad? (mizzoEG)

you can really feel the diffrence..
but is there a diy that can help me?
Old 08-15-2008, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did this once to my Integra. When I put the belt BACK ON, the car drove way better.

It's not worth it.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The power steering only puts any strain on the motor when you turn the wheels left and right, not going straight. The feeling may be all in your head. I once removed the belt for over a week, and then when I put it back on, the car felt a BILLION times better. NO POINT ON REMOVING THE BELT
Old 08-15-2008, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=184202

Dont do it!!!
power steering is something i will never give up.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is just taking the belt off for no powersteering really bad? (THC07)

cool.
I'll Keep It oN.
I appreciate ya'll taking the time to give me input!!
But i was really just doing this to see if i could feel a difference.
The diffrence is there.
but i just want my motor to have longevity.
so if this is what it takes, then this is what it takes!
But i really dont see whats the downside of just taking the belt off

Modified by Omega Blaze at 8:04 AM 8/15/2008

Modified by Omega Blaze at 8:23 AM 8/15/2008
Old 08-15-2008, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you cant really say you felt the difference. those of you that took your belts off and later put them on and said "wow big difference" isnt so accurate because you didnt do the manual conversion, you were pusing fluids back and forth in your power racks. you dont really know what non-ps feels like till you either convert or swap with a manual rack, however, good choice! keep it!
Old 08-15-2008, 07:07 AM

There isn't anything wrong with it being off. The car will drive better with it on. Depending on how strong you are its probably safer for you to leave it on anyway.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Omega Blaze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cool.

But i really dont see whats the downside of just taking the belt off </TD></TR></TABLE>

Possible damage to the rack!

Whats the up-side of just removing the belt? "parasitic drag?" noo! thats nothing you need to think about with that motor.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is just taking the belt off for no powersteering really bad? (THC07)

Just removing the belt was a BITCH to turn the wheel to pull out of a parking spot. I was so relieved to have reinstalled the belt. I said it felt better because turning the wheel once again required no effort. I got muscles for driving without the belt for that week

You say you felt the difference, but go and remove the belt, and turn the power steering pully. There's almost no resistance at all. Any time we mod our car, our brains expect us to feel a difference, and many times it's in our heads.

If you plan on removing power steering in the future, you'll have to swap to a manual rack so that way you don't have to be the incredible hulk to just turn the wheel while not moving.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is just taking the belt off for no powersteering really bad? (sageuvagony)

i feel you guys. Thanks for input.
but trust me, if most of these guides weren't so acient(If Pictures Still Worked)
it'll make things alot easier.
So i have to come to you guys, someone who has been through it.
Sorry for tha hassle, But yeah..
this is something to worry about with this motor.
I have little horsepower and torque, so any amount of hp or tq
I NEED It!!
i lUv mii d15
Old 08-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

man you guys cry to much. My p/s rack took a **** on me so i just pulled all the components off, and left the busted rack (had just finished my swap when it happened...). I even had a 300mm quick release steering wheel on it. After about a day it was easy as hell to turn.
You want a bitch to turn go get/find a mustang or f-body and come back to me and tell me how easy your car turns standing still...

and yes i felt a difference steering wise no matter what with it off, and prefer no powersteering.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think taking off your P/S is a very newbie mistake.

the benefits of p/s towers over the whole 1=2 hp you will gain back.

I have driven 300 hp turbo hondas with p/s and without...and let me tell you its night and day. I feel so much safer with the more stable ride with p/s.

as stated from everyone else. Your butt dyon is telling you its better but in reality its not.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (The Lobster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Lobster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think taking off your P/S is a very newbie mistake.

the benefits of p/s towers over the whole 1=2 hp you will gain back.

I have driven 300 hp turbo hondas with p/s and without...and let me tell you its night and day. I feel so much safer with the more stable ride with p/s.

as stated from everyone else. Your butt dyon is telling you its better but in reality its not.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 08-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i havent read every post but i have a 99 ek hatch. and i just removed my belt also. i havent had any problems with mine at all..and the best way i can describe how it felt is the steering was more responsive..there wasnt much lack when i turned. its hard to explain but yeah...but i havent had any problems with just removing my belt.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is just taking the belt off for no powersteering really bad? (16yroldekownr)

lock it b4 more is said.

the OP got his question answerd.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is just taking the belt off for no powersteering really bad? (EJ1_Sleeper)

i took mine off and im not a newbie. our cars weigh less than about 2500 lbs, its not the most neccessary thing in the world, but i removed mine when i was swapping motors in and out, and just didnt feel like hooking it up. never a complaint or regret on my end. sure makes swapping a little easier, with the extra room.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:40 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: (sageuvagony)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The feeling may be all in your head.</TD></TR></TABLE>
This goes for a lot of mods that people do to their cars.

I've read that apparently a lot of people believe their car feels like it's running better after an oil change even.

Before it's locked I might as well mention that the power rack is tighter than the manual rack too.

Oh, and my car does not weigh less than 2500 lbs. I drive a '98 EX coupe. My stock '97 EX coupe, when wrecked, weighted close to 2700 according to insurance / the wrecking yard. And I don't leave a lot of stuff in my car.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

Believe me you will be better with it on. My coupe drives nice with it but on my hatch i have a Manuel rack and it is a pain from a dead stop but the steering is more responsive on the highway. I don't like the soft feel you get from power steering when your driving but i think I'm gonna to do Auto-X with my hatch thats why i guess im leaning in that direction.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:42 PM

ok, if you remove the belt, its the same as turning the steering with the engine off, it will not harm anything in the system, just your arms, and elbows. the dealer i work for, in the work instructions, tells us to turn the wheel with the engine off, back and forth lock to lock 30 times minimum to bleed a system we opened up or drained. all that happenes, when the system is off, is that the rack itself acts like a piston, and the force your putting in is devoted a lot to moving the fluid manually, so when the belt is off, your arms are pushing the steering which is slowly moving the fluid through the hoses, if you wanted to loop hoses, do it to the ones that connect to the rack, it sjust logical this way, so when the fluid is pushed by the rack, it just loops back into itself, but you dont even need to loop it, just leave the system sealed and factory take the belt off, the only good your doing in an extremely unlikely reason is taking som stress off of the upper front main bearing. i know that comment will raise some crap, but according to ASE testing belts too tight cause the upper front main to wear out, due to the upwards pull on the pulley.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Is just taking the belt off for no powersteering really bad? (fastrc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastrc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, if you remove the belt, its the same as turning the steering with the engine off, it will not harm anything in the system, just your arms, and elbows. the dealer i work for, in the work instructions, tells us to turn the wheel with the engine off, back and forth lock to lock 30 times minimum to bleed a system we opened up or drained. all that happenes, when the system is off, is that the rack itself acts like a piston, and the force your putting in is devoted a lot to moving the fluid manually, so when the belt is off, your arms are pushing the steering which is slowly moving the fluid through the hoses, if you wanted to loop hoses, do it to the ones that connect to the rack, it sjust logical this way, so when the fluid is pushed by the rack, it just loops back into itself, but you dont even need to loop it, just leave the system sealed and factory take the belt off, the only good your doing in an extremely unlikely reason is taking som stress off of the upper front main bearing. i know that comment will raise some crap, but according to ASE testing belts too tight cause the upper front main to wear out, due to the upwards pull on the pulley.</TD></TR></TABLE>

HOW COULD YOU?!?!? lol

j/k

I'd leave it just for the luxury.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Is just taking the belt off for no powersteering really bad? (devildog12390)

o by no means do i want him, to i have a 93 sol and 98 civic, i have to keep the power steering its great, i would never get rid of it, but i would just helping him per his request.

Quick Reply: Is just taking the belt off for no powersteering really bad?