Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just Swapped a b18C into my Civic VTEC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Icon4 Just Swapped a b18C into my Civic VTEC?

Alright. Well I have a '00 Civic Si. The bottom end burned oil so I needed a new bottom end. I came across a b18C ( GSR ) motor long block for 600.00, I couldn't pass it up.

So I took my b16 head and placed it on the b18C bottom end. Also i put in the GSR cam shafts into the head. I followed all Honda Torque specs on everything and that is why the motor is successful! I always take my time to make sure everything runs perfect. The motor has all new seals and gaskets, i bought a full engine gasket kit for it.

Also there is a new oil filter 10w30 Mobile oil in it. Gm Snycomesh in the transmission, new coolant as well. Engine runs good I guess, but I have no Vtec!

Also I have a slight gain in power at about 3000 RPMS. I don't know why Vtec doesn't work I checked codes, yes I did.. and the codes that came up were: tps, but that is because someone thought I plugged it in wrong.. and they put the map sensor plug on it, morons, also o2 sensor but that was my mistake I didn't plug it in last night for a sec so I am sure the computer saved that.

I don't let anyone touch my car. I do all my own work, and I do it correctly each time, I just feel stupid right now, I drove the car 309 miles today no issues besides what I have stated.

I know that for VTEC to work it needs the following:

Coolant to be at/near operating temp
Oil pressure in the motor has to be at a certain pressure
Vehicle has to be moving
Throttle has to be at a certain RPM

Anyhow, the VTEC engaged before I did the swap so I must have done something wrong..

Thanks for reading any input would be great.

Also I broke the breather valve on the dizzy cap when placing the motor into the car, I just went and bought a new one, and I needed plugs so I got those too, I will be in the garage putting these is now.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Just Swapped a b18C into my Civic VTEC?

Try Using a different Vtec solenoid?! or is it plugged in?! you didn't say you fixed and reset your check engine lights. tps and oxygen sensors can affect vtec I'm pretty sure. but still, what did you do about them?!
Old 08-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cleared codes, i plugged the o2 sensor in that was not plugged in, also the TPS was fine until someone switched plugs. So I put that back and cleared the code again.

Ill check the screen
Old 08-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check ur Vtec Solenoids and then go from there. GL!
Old 08-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaGuy951
check ur Vtec Solenoids and then go from there. GL!
Thing is everythign worked before. When I swapped heads, I didn't even take off the housing or the solenoid.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

By any chance would gsr cams be doing anything wrong?
Old 08-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nah, your GSR cam wouldn't be hurting anything. is your timing good?! spark plugs? checked your oil pressure?! all that fun stuff?!
Old 08-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nah, your GSR cam wouldn't be hurting anything. is your timing good?! spark plugs? checked your oil pressure?! all that fun stuff?!

Ha, just got some NGK's in my hand right now. I replaced the cap, oil pressure do I just hook a gauge where the vtec pressure switch goes? Or for a better reading remove the oil pressure sensor after the oil pump there?

Timing I will check, but I did it perfect, took me like 3 sec's it was so easy to do, but I will check the marks.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MainStreamHonda
Ha, just got some NGK's in my hand right now. I replaced the cap, oil pressure do I just hook a gauge where the vtec pressure switch goes? Or for a better reading remove the oil pressure sensor after the oil pump there?

Timing I will check, but I did it perfect, took me like 3 sec's it was so easy to do, but I will check the marks.

I'm not sure about checking the oil pressure, ....but yeah, see if any of that helps, also what ecu are you running, and how did u clear your codes, and how did u check them!?
Old 08-29-2009, 09:33 PM
New User

did u drill a new oil hoes for the v tec...cuzz its the b16 to the gsr block.. maybe thats where its at bro.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fastasscivic
did u drill a new oil hoes for the v tec...cuzz its the b16 to the gsr block.. maybe thats where its at bro.
Ut oh.. I hope someone chimes in I was just talking to someone and they said somethign along those lines like you did.. This ... may not be good. I will keep looking and researching. The motor feels weak to because no vtec.. This is disappointing me.. Now I feel like I failed

I cleared the codes with the obdII scan tool.

I need someone that is familiar with the b18c bottom end with the b16 head, I feel, stupid.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what the hell are you talking about?! the only time you do anything like that is when you build an ls/vtec or a b20vtec, that's putting a non vtec block under a vtec head. the block he's using is coming from a vtec motor, so why the hell would he drill into it?! know what you're talking about before you start typing bro!
Old 08-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh, but hey, my advice is to put the GSR back together and drop that into your car. it'll drop right in since you already had b series in there!!
Old 08-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh, but hey, my advice is to put the GSR back together and drop that into your car. it'll drop right in since you already had b series in there!!
Well everything is set for the b16 intake manifold and such, plus I have a gsr intake but missing everything on it :[
Old 08-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If MAP and TPS sensor plugs got switched, I believe it usually fries one of them. Not trying to advertise, but I have one of each from a Y8 I'll sell cheap, just PM me.
Assuming you have all the OBD2 stuff on the engine?
Did something not get hooked up? Try disconnecting each thing and hooking it back up, maybe it's a bad connection.

My B18C1 felt like it picked up at 3k, but VTEC still engaged. Whatever.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:59 PM

English?

Op: What ecu are you using? Does the GSR block you have in there have a knock sensor?
That can cause it not to hit VTEC. Also might want to check the TDC sensor as well.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

vtec does not require knock sensor to work. have you tried actually switching ur solenoid? it could of been working before you swapped the head, but then possibley might of gone out while you were driving it on your b18c block.

also DO NOT drill anything because as stated above it isnt require and you'll feel even dumber by doing it.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JShull
English?

Op: What ecu are you using? Does the GSR block you have in there have a knock sensor?
That can cause it not to hit VTEC. Also might want to check the TDC sensor as well.
Stock ECU '00 Civic si. The Gsr Block I have does indeed have a knock sensor, What is a TDC sensor? Only thing that rings a bell is ( top dead center ) ? If so would that be a crank position sensor? Also wouldn't I be getting an error on my codes?

Thank you.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eg_boi
vtec does not require knock sensor to work. have you tried actually switching ur solenoid? it could of been working before you swapped the head, but then possibley might of gone out while you were driving it on your b18c block.

also DO NOT drill anything because as stated above it isnt require and you'll feel even dumber by doing it.
Oh don't worry, I am not drilling a thing. If I was going to drill something I would wait until I everyone was certain. I will chnage the solenoid out though tomorrow.

Also I didn't know, but the GSR b18C that I got has the vtec housing, and there is no oil switch, ( the green sensor ) it is also plugged. Not like someone did it, but Honda did it. You can't even get it out unless it was drilled then tapped and re-heilcoiled.

I think that is weird, maybe the GSR's in japan didn't require the switch? Thing is Type-R's in Japan have them..
Old 08-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright well, I am heading to bed now, I will try a new solenoid in the morning, or when I awake. If anyone has any other suggestions, just let me know.

Thanks guys for putting up with my bs!

-eathen
Old 08-29-2009, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have a USDM ECU and the JDM engine, without the pressure sensor, that would do it.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:26 AM

how about a Picture of your vtec solenoid and pressure switch.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright new solenoid didn't do jack.

Went to check codes, said TPS circuit is bad, but my car runs good? Put a new TPS on the car? Should I? Also, the car likes to " gain " power at about 3000 RPMS, sort of fee's weaker at lower rpms then kicks in, GSR cams?

ANYHOW NO VTEC STILL, I am sure a lot of people have these problems it sucks!!
Old 08-30-2009, 02:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

when you put the gsr cams in did you remember to put the o-ring back under the middle cam cap if not then vtec wont engage
Old 08-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you are still throwing a TPS code then you need to check it.

the center wire (red i believe) shave a little of the wire coating off to expose the wire.

grab your multimeter and put it on DC voltage

with Key on engine off, throttle closed, you should have .45 or .5 volts on that wire

with key on engine off, wide open throttle, you should have 4.55 or at most 5.00 volts

Quick Reply: Just Swapped a b18C into my Civic VTEC?