Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just screwed myself, need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just screwed myself, need advice!

I was just about to get this hatchback I bought rolling and I was changing the front LCA and disaster strikes.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...RONT+LOWER+ARM

Part number 20 was seized and I used the impact because the socket wrench was impossible and the tap that is welded to the frame busted free now the bolt is still connected to it and it spins free but the tap is no longer welded to the frame. Is there any way to fix this or did I just **** myself out of ever driving this car?

I was thinking that maybe driving without it may be ok because there is two other bolts holding it to the frame at that one point. Then again I dont want to die because of it. The only thing I can think of is dremeling out a square around it and welding on a new tap to it and welding the square back up. Any advice here?
Old 11-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just screwed myself, need advice!

Same thing just happened to me, oddly enough. I think we're both kinda screwed...unless you can cut a hole and put a new nut and fender washer in there...
Just so you know, you can change the front LCA without removing that bracket. There's a nut on the back to pull it out of the bushing.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thumper64
Same thing just happened to me, oddly enough. I think we're both kinda screwed...unless you can cut a hole and put a new nut and fender washer in there...
Just so you know, you can change the front LCA without removing that bracket. There's a nut on the back to pull it out of the bushing.
I really wish I would have never touched the arm now, it was fine I was just being picky and I had extra parts. The only thing I can even phathom right now is to cut an acess hole in the wheel well and put a wrench in there to loosen and tighten. Kind of a similiar situation I had with my rear compensator arm. Now my only question is is there dead space from the wheel well over to where this bolt is and if so is it a nut I can put a wrench on?

Thanks to anyone that can help. I mean this could happen at any shop. There has to be a way to at least ghetto rig it and it still be safe.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im guesswing u have a weleded nut on that right??? well bust out the grinder if u can reach with it in there and cut that bolt off and put in a new screw with a nut on the other end. dosent have to be welded on but a locking washer will also help..
Old 11-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Cut an access hole through the inside of the firewall so you can get a wrench in there, when you're done put a rubber plug in it.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Cut an access hole through the inside of the firewall so you can get a wrench in there, when you're done put a rubber plug in it.
hmmm I wonder where about on the firewall. Some1 has had to deal with this before and fixed it... There are a few entry points I feel like I could get to the nut. So can any1 confirm for sure there is a nut holding it in?
Old 11-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The bolt snapped off in the threaded part, right? Just pull that out (or leave it, I don't care) and put a new nut in. I just picked up some 5/8" grade 8 bolts and nuts.

I talked to a friend of mine who works on jeeps and he suggested welding a nut to a plate and sticking that in there and welding it back up. If you have access to a welder, do that. Otherwise, make as small a hole as possible to get the nut and a wrench in.

I looked, there's really no place to put a wrench in. You gotta cut it.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by civicdelsol33
hmmm I wonder where about on the firewall. Some1 has had to deal with this before and fixed it... There are a few entry points I feel like I could get to the nut. So can any1 confirm for sure there is a nut holding it in?
I had the nut break off in there before but I was stripping a civic for parts before it went to the crusher, so I just cut a big hole in the firewall with an angle grinder.