Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just quick question on tyre pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just quick question on tyre pressure

Sorry everyone for this silly question but i searched and nothing came up as its a stupid question

But i am wondering what the ideal tyre pressuer for is for a 93 Hatch.

Thank you

Josh
Old 12-19-2005, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Just quick question on tyre pressure (J1A1H)

Editted. Apparently, I was wrong by saying to check the side of the tyre.

Modified by Goullish at 11:28 AM 12/20/2005
Old 12-19-2005, 02:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i lost the owners manual... plus its a 17" wheel. plus i was told you shouldnt go to the spec of the tyre, you should go by the spec of the car.
Just wondering what you all pump up your tyre for daily road use.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:34 AM
grammer nawzi

Default Re: (J1A1H)

well, you actually use the spec that is printed on the side of the TIRE. Going by the car, that's absolutely the dumbest thing that I have heard. What if you change rims, and then have low-pro tires? You supposed to go by the psi for the stock tires that were on 14s? WTF?????????
Old 12-19-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Re: (J1A1H)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J1A1H &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i lost the owners manual... plus its a 17" wheel. plus i was told you shouldnt go to the spec of the tyre, you should go by the spec of the car.
Just wondering what you all pump up your tyre for daily road use.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My Pirellies get 38/36, my Azenis 50/45 (45/42 in the summer), my Dunlop gets 38, my Chang Shing gets 35ish. Last two are for the motorcycle.

Go by the spec of the tyre, if I ran my azenis at 36 they'd have been wasted in a week.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow 50/45 on azenis i hope your not talking PSI, if u are you out of you mind. That is so to high its not even funny. Your filling them up to the max psi their supposed to hold before exploding. I hope u know that air in tires expand once they heat up. Proper tire pressure is anywhere between 30 (this is the standard for almost all tires) to 33 PSI. In the winter i fill mine to about 32 psi because air contracts under cold and in the summer i fill them to 30 psi.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:35 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (sicky)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sicky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, you actually use the spec that is printed on the side of the TIRE. </TD></TR></TABLE>

INCORRECT. you go by what the car manufacturer recommends. since a 17" did not come on the car, i suggest running at least 40 f, 38r. you may need to run more depending on tire size and use.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (sicky)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sicky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, you actually use the spec that is printed on the side of the TIRE. Going by the car, that's absolutely the dumbest thing that I have heard. What if you change rims, and then have low-pro tires? You supposed to go by the psi for the stock tires that were on 14s? WTF?????????</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about. Your ideal tire pressure is determined by the weight of the vehicle those tires are supporting.

Also, tire pressure drops about 1 psi for every 10 degrees of outside temp change. On average in the US, the difference between summer temps and winter temps averages 50 degrees, so if you haven't checked your pressure since the summer, you might be around 5 psi low.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:40 AM

Default Re: (IHateJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about. </TD></TR></TABLE>

unfortuneatly, that happens way too frequently in this forum
Old 12-19-2005, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No way, tire size means nothing with air pressure. And by the way who in their right mind is going to call up honda and ask, Excuse me im running 17" rims on my civic what should the tire pressure be?" For starters they will think your the biggest idiot in the world then say between 30 and 33. WTF i cant believe u all mighty Honda Techers who love flaming everyone dont know the answer to a simple question.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:54 AM

Default Re: (mrbigg9032)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbigg9032 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No way, tire size means nothing with air pressure. </TD></TR></TABLE>

again, incorrect. for example:

i have a 17x7 wheel with a 215/40-17. say, i run it at 38 psi with no problems (ie rollover, etc). if i swap to a 205/40-17, i should increase the psi to roughly 40 to have the same effect since the tire is shorter. this is a broad generalization, as different tire manufacturers have different compounds as well as different stiffness of sidewalls.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ask the tire manufacturer. if you give them a vehicle weight and type, they can usually help you determine a pressure range to use. for example, falken recommends running 27psi for their 15 inch setup using tein flex and rt615. check the tire manufacturers website. each tire will have its own characteristics and requirements to perform at their best. right now, i run 40 front and back on my 205/50r15 direzzas. when i had 17 inch pirelli p7000, i ran 40 front and back. when i am autocrossing, i usually inflate 5 to 10 lbs higher than on the street.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:20 AM

Default Re: (littleredcivic)

All of you guys running over 35 PSI are shimmying all over the road and anyone running over 40 PSI is just beating the hell out of their cars and themselves. How much or little air pressure has to do with the contact patch of the tire not the firmness of the sidewall. Remember when you were a kid and over inflated your bike tires?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (littleredcivic)

Boo to the responses in this thread! The number on the tire is the absolute maximum load with a certain amount of weight on the tire. It is NOT what you should inflate them to. For Civics Honda recommends 32psi. There should be a sticker in your glove box.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:31 AM

Default Re: (JimmyAtlantis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amckee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All of you guys running over 35 PSI are shimmying all over the road and anyone running over 40 PSI is just beating the hell out of their cars and themselves. </TD></TR></TABLE>

depends on wheel size. the original poster is running 17" wheels, so he will need to run roughly 38~40 psi in the front to prevent tire/wheel damage and as well as stop the tire from rolling over.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimmyAtlantis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> For Civics Honda recommends 32psi. There should be a sticker in your glove box.</TD></TR></TABLE>

depends on which civic.... one of mine states tire pressure using oem size tires to be 35/33. using my summer tires (pilot exalto) i run 37/35. using my winter tires (blizzak lm22) i run 35/33.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just quick question on tyre pressure (J1A1H)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J1A1H &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry everyone for this silly question but i searched and nothing came up as its a stupid question

But i am wondering what the ideal tyre pressuer for is for a 93 Hatch.

Thank you

Josh</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just goes to show that there is no such thing as a stupid question, apparently no one agrees on this but i always start my pressure around 32 psi on any size wheel and adjust it from there, like if i notice uneven wear on the sidewall or contact patch.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just quick question on tyre pressure (SexySI)

i read all the post in this thread any no 2 people agree on the same thing. thats not really helping this guy out. i always go with what my glove box says.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just quick question on tyre pressure (SexySI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SexySI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just goes to show that there is no such thing as a stupid question, apparently no one agrees on this but i always start my pressure around 32 psi on any size wheel and adjust it from there, like if i notice uneven wear on the sidewall or contact patch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My dad just picked up a 3500 Ram with the cummins trubo desiel in it, and when it's fully loaded for towing the tires are supossed to be at 70 psi rear and 60 up front.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Just quick question on tyre pressure (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My dad just picked up a 3500 Ram with the cummins trubo desiel in it, and when it's fully loaded for towing the tires are supossed to be at 70 psi rear and 60 up front.</TD></TR></TABLE>

::drool::

Anyway, when i worked at the Sears tires, we had paperwork that said the car, the rim size, the tire size, and then the recommended tire inflation from there manufacture specs. You should go with what the company of the tire says, NOT the tire itself.

90% of the time however it is whats said in the manual. 33-35psi is the avg. that we did for Civics, if i remember correctly. It was usually the pressure to set the bead.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Just quick question on tyre pressure (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My dad just picked up a 3500 Ram with the cummins trubo desiel in it, and when it's fully loaded for towing the tires are supossed to be at 70 psi rear and 60 up front.</TD></TR></TABLE> Alright, lets assume that this vehicle weighed between 3200 and 4000 pounds and was towing or hauling nothing. What would you inflate the tires to then? Your observation is comparing apples to oranges and means nothing to this discussion.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Just quick question on tyre pressure (dohcVTECeg2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcVTECeg2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i read all the post in this thread any no 2 people agree on the same thing. thats not really helping this guy out. i always go with what my glove box says.</TD></TR></TABLE>

funny, my glovebox says nothing.... so, i should run no pressure at all? i already emailed/im'd the original poster with my advice. i have been in the automotive industry approaching 20 years. who are you going to trust? me or some hoodlum that runs 15psi in his azenis cause "it hooks the best yO"?

start out with 32psi on a 40 (most like what he is running, as he is using a 17" tire) series tire? lol... you guys are great. keep the moronic suggestions coming real world experience has shown that these size tires need at least 38, and upword of 42 psi to operate correctly. again, it depends on tire type.

think about it. say, oem suggests 32psi for a 92 civic on 175/70-13 tires. are you saying that a 205/40-17 tire will require the same pressure? i think not.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your not giving any facts that will prove that u need to fill up 17" tires more then u need to fill up a 14" tire. And your taking about wheel damage, like what from potholes. If you dont want bent rims then dont buy 40 profile tires u need to get a higher tire but dont say u need to fill you tires up to 1000000000 PSI to make the tire stiffer to keep it from damaging.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:55 AM

i think 32 psi on stock eg hatch
Old 12-20-2005, 05:00 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbigg9032 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont say u need to fill you tires up to 1000000000 PSI to make the tire stiffer to keep it from damaging.</TD></TR></TABLE>

spoken like a true retard. any other informative advice?
Old 12-20-2005, 05:02 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (JimmyAtlantis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimmyAtlantis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Boo to the responses in this thread! The number on the tire is the absolute maximum load with a certain amount of weight on the tire. It is NOT what you should inflate them to. For Civics Honda recommends 32psi. There should be a sticker in your glove box.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bingo bango bongo!

I almost replied instantly when I read the guy recommending to read the side of the tire, but then I actually calmed down and kept reading to see if anyone else would catch that crapola.

The psi on the side of the tire is the max air pressure which is not to be exceeded WHEN MOUNTING THE TIRES AND TRYING TO SEAT THE BEAD.

Bottom line?

Run anywhere from 32-35psi in your tires and be doine with it.

People who auto-X will have all sorts of crazy-*** air pressure recommendations, but the bottom line for a regular guy on some 17'' wheels/tires 32-35psi is just fine.

Quick Reply: Just quick question on tyre pressure