Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just purchased my first Honda the other day...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased my first Honda the other day...

As the title states I just bought my first Honda the other day, this 95 Civic Ex.

I've always known about this forum but never had a need to join up until now. This car is a dedicated daily driver first and foremost. She's not winning any beauty contests anytime soon, but I do want to make it as reliable as can reasonably expected from a 18 year old car. With that said, I had a few questions, with pictures to help. Thank you in advance for any and all help.

First off, what is this supposed to go to? I followed it to the firewall where it goes in right next to the throttle cable.

Next, what are these supposed to be hooked up to?

I currently am missing the passenger side power window switch. Should I still be able to roll that window up and down from my side? Or does it need a switch hooked up to complete the circuit? Currently I cannot operate passenger side window.

Lastly, my SRS light is on, and my right horn button does not work. Are those related?

As with any craigslist buy in this price range, I am steadily finding stuff here and there that needs to be replaced. When I bought the car it had 2 different size steelies on it and 4 different size tires. I picked up the set of del sol fat fives for $50, replaced a inner tie rod and got an alignment. Now the car rides remarkably better. Anyways, here are a few more pics and thanks for reading my post. If you have any info I would really appreciate it.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just purchased my first Honda the other day...

Not bad not bad at all. That cable thing you see should be for cruise control which seems to be missing as well.

Your horn button is separate from the SRS system. You will need to replace the button then begin diagnosing the SRS system. If you want to diagnose the SRS yourself, be sure to disconnect the battery and wait a good 10 minutes before you unhook any airbags or anything to ensure capacitor discharge (I believe service spec is like 2 minutes but better safe than a broken windshield and face.)

The look harness looks like a fuse holder and connector for something (The taped one) the other loose connector I am not sure of.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. Cruise control cable. You can remove it from the gas pedal and pull the line from the car. Looks like someone just chopped it.

2. Looks like an inline fuse holder, and a relay for the fog lights, or some other lights on the car.

3. Check the wiring for the button. I assume the issue is there seeing as only one button doesn't work. Maybe it isn't hooked up?

4. I think there is a way to reset the SRS system. Maybe the steering wheel was removed at one point throwing the light? Just a thought.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

not too bad... id say this is a diamond in the rough
The items listed should be simple to fix.

Last edited by Former User; 01-30-2013 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Please avoid insulting others
Old 01-30-2013, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19
-agree

-pretty clean civic, have fun with it man.

Last edited by Former User; 01-30-2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Post edit
Old 01-30-2013, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But anyway, happy building dude!

Last edited by Former User; 01-30-2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Post edit
Old 01-30-2013, 02:46 PM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Biggest diamond I have ever seen.

I really like the del sol rims on this model civc. Do the fog lights work on this car?

Last edited by Former User; 01-30-2013 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Post edit
Old 01-30-2013, 02:50 PM
Master Ninja

Very nice OP
Old 01-30-2013, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B20DelSol
Not bad not bad at all. That cable thing you see should be for cruise control which seems to be missing as well.

Your horn button is separate from the SRS system. You will need to replace the button then begin diagnosing the SRS system. If you want to diagnose the SRS yourself, be sure to disconnect the battery and wait a good 10 minutes before you unhook any airbags or anything to ensure capacitor discharge (I believe service spec is like 2 minutes but better safe than a broken windshield and face.)

The look harness looks like a fuse holder and connector for something (The taped one) the other loose connector I am not sure of.
Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
1. Cruise control cable. You can remove it from the gas pedal and pull the line from the car. Looks like someone just chopped it.

2. Looks like an inline fuse holder, and a relay for the fog lights, or some other lights on the car.

3. Check the wiring for the button. I assume the issue is there seeing as only one button doesn't work. Maybe it isn't hooked up?

4. I think there is a way to reset the SRS system. Maybe the steering wheel was removed at one point throwing the light? Just a thought.
I was thinking cruise control but wasn't sure. I might replace the cable and see if everything works. This is a daily that will receive plenty of highway miles.

Originally Posted by jdm_phunk
-agree

-pretty clean civic, have fun with it man.
Originally Posted by Emeraldbomber

But anyway, happy building dude!
Originally Posted by doctorake
Biggest diamond I have ever seen.

I really like the del sol rims on this model civc. Do the fog lights work on this car?
Originally Posted by RI5ING SUN
Very nice OP
Thanks everyone. The fog lights do not work. I've followed the wires but I cant find any switch it goes to. I might just rip it all out and re-run everything my way. Plus I can test the lights to see if they work.

Anyone know anything about my window switch question?

Originally Posted by GoldenLeg13
I currently am missing the passenger side power window switch. Should I still be able to roll that window up and down from my side? Or does it need a switch hooked up to complete the circuit? Currently I cannot operate passenger side window.

Last edited by Former User; 01-30-2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Post edit
Old 01-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh yea, my climate controls dont light up with my headlights. Is that a bulb I can replace or is it some dumb replace the whole thing situation?

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 01-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

theres DIYs everywhere for climate control bulbs, window switch wiring, horn wiring, etc..

Now, the car is almost 20 years old. Some of these things sounds like normal crap that goes out over the span of 20 years.. others sounds like a kid had it, modded it a little (wire harness') maybe even had an aftermarket wheel on it.

Another thing about the car, being old as it is, means theres 20 years of info posted up on issues just like yours. pretty much every square inch of your ride is on a write up.

If this is going to be your DD, start doing the maintenance so your not stuck on the side of the road. things like mounts, ball joints, bushings, brake lines/fluid, needs to be changed out. Make a plan and try to DIY as much as you can for savings.

Get yourself some tools from harbor freight on the cheap. Hondapartsnow.com and a few others has oem parts discounted.