Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is it just me or......

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me or......

......is it the car? I swapped a gsr into my del sol and after working through the usual issues it just doesn't pull like I think it should. It's currently mated to a gsr tranny that has a grind in second....you can ease into it at low rpms or when it's cold, but once it warms up it goes in easily but with a nasty grind.

The motor seems to pull sluggishly up to around 4500 rpms and then feels like it starts to breath a bit better and around 6000 it wants to run hard. I'm currently running a chipped P06 with the crome gsr basemap...knock disable, checksum removed, datalogging enabled. I tried a chipped P28 but it felt the same. My Z6 seemed to pull much, much harder early on but of course you were done by the time you got to 6k. At the crossover there's no additional pulling, or tone change really...nothing at all compared to my old Z6.

I'm running the stock intake with the IAB's enabled and working and a short ram.....comptech header....greddy DT axleback.....8.8lb J's racing flywheel...aftermarket ebay hi-flow cat....the rest is all stock internals. I've double checked the timing and even though it's on and possibly a bit retarded, my plugs seem to show that it needs more retarding....the burnish mark on the ground strap is all the way near the bottom close to the threads. I was under the impression that it should be nearer the bend but that's more retarding, not advancing I think.

The issue that seems to make sense is that my midpipe (which is still stock) is creating too much backpressure....1 7/8ths or whatever. That's getting changed out tomorrow to a 2 1/4 pipe and new resonator...all mandrel bent. Other than that, I just can't seem to figure out why it doesn't run like I _think_ it should run. Compression across the board is all 200 with one at 198. It's not smoking at all, and there's no cel code at any time.

So...is it me, or the motor?