Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just manuel steering or a real problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 09:28 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just manuel steering or a real problem?

I notice that on the freeway at speeds of 80+ my steering wheel shakes somewhat violently. It shakes my arms if I hold on to it, to the point if my hand is firmly gripping the wheel, the hand is shaken to where you can't make out details of the hand when looking at it. Is this just a consequence of manuel steering or a sign of something much worse?
Old 09-07-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Just manuel steering or a real problem? (cbmprelude)

Are your tires balanced? What about an alignment?
Old 09-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cbmprelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I notice that on the freeway at speeds of 80+ my steering wheel shakes somewhat violently. It shakes my arms if I hold on to it, to the point if my hand is firmly gripping the wheel, the hand is shaken to where you can't make out details of the hand when looking at it. Is this just a consequence of manuel steering or a sign of something much worse?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Could be bad cv joints (axles), warped rotors, Needing to be aligned, Improper tire pressure, or just tires needing to be rotated.

Does it do it upon braking?
Old 09-07-2005, 09:33 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just manuel steering or a real problem? (Jimmy)

I would say check balance, however <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jimmy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Could be bad cv joints (axles), warped rotors, Needing to be aligned, Improper tire pressure, or just tires needing to be rotated.

Does it do it upon braking?</TD></TR></TABLE> this is a good refernence, I have a question though, could it shake because of the rotors even though he is not on the brakes? I have heard this before but with your time here I figure you might know!
Old 09-07-2005, 09:34 PM
* B A N N E D *

When I purchased the car the brake pedal vibrated heavily. The dealer had them fixed ( I beleve just a rotor resurfacing) Now the car brakes some what well. I'm not sure if this is realted, but the vibration does not change wether I'm accelrating, coasting, or braking. It seems to be purely speed related.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:39 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Just manuel steering or a real problem? (turner7205)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would say check balance, however this is a good refernence, I have a question though, could it shake because of the rotors even though he is not on the brakes? I have heard this before but with your time here I figure you might know!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes warped rotors will cause excessive shaking,vibration can almost make you think your ******* wheels are about to come off if the rotor is bad enough, but it could be a combination of any of the things i listed off.. rotate your tires see if they are properly wearing and check the pressure.. Spend 30.00 and get it aligned and then if it's still doing it your rotors are warped AGAIN and this could be due to your driving style (hard breaking,etc) and it might be time to upgrage to some powerslot rotors or something that can take your abuse.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:44 AM
* B A N N E D *

The pressure is fine on the tires and there are relatively new. I will also get a realignment but if these don't work then I beleive that it is the brakes. Can I just buy the si or gsr front brakes and use them for now as a solutoin, and then in the future upgrade the mc, prop valve, booster and rear brakes in the future?
Old 09-09-2005, 08:08 PM
* B A N N E D *

im getting my wheels re-balanced this sunday will this help?
Old 09-09-2005, 08:13 PM

this could possibly fix it. i don't buy the rotor theory simply because i believe you would definately be able to feel it when you brake. and i don't see why you would need to buy any special brakes unless you did this to your car in a short period of time and/or you plan on upgrading anyway. an alignment and wheel balancing should take care of the problem.