Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

just lookin for sum advie and oppinions on sum engine work i had planned and why....

Old 01-21-2008, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just lookin for sum advie and oppinions on sum engine work i had planned and why....

ok.. i have a JDM B18C in my SI n i want to go all Spoon with it (engine and exterior). i just bought Rigamaster Evo's for it so im definately excited to put those on lol, but i want to do sum engine work. i have the ITR ecu for it but i want to chip it out with a Spoon chip(for a VTec engagement @ 4900rpms and a redline of 9500rpms). I wanted to go with this combo for the head to handle that: Buddy Club Ti Valve springs and retainers, Spoon Cams, Spoon Cam Gears, and a Toda timing belt. i also have Spoon pistons and Rods in mind but im not sure if its ABSOLUTELY nessesary so i can hold 9500rpms safely.. i kno it would help greatly with that but i want to kno if i could run the stock pistons for a little till i get the money for them. also i wanted to kno if there was anything else i should do or if there were any tips i should kno before i run it with the spoon chip. thank you for your time.
Sencerily, ROB
Old 01-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: just lookin for sum advie and oppinions on sum engine work i had planned and why.... (BlueBallsS

Rigamaster Evos? Cheap knock off from Regamaster Evos? lol...I am busting your *****....but you should know the name of the expensive parts you just bought. This brings me to my next point:

Do you know what you're buying or are you buying it because it says SPOON on it? I'll admit that there are a lot of parts that spoon makes that are nice. However, it may not all be nessacary. Seems like you either have a wet dream about a car that's never going to be realized because you're either going to get sick of waiting, bored with the project, or become broke and destitute. Or you're just pissing in the wind.

What are you going to use the car for? That question needs to be answered before we go any further. Also, why are you buying the specific parts? Just because of the name?
Old 01-21-2008, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: just lookin for sum advie and oppinions on sum engine work i had planned and why.... (BlueBallsS

i would suggest u do it all at one time.cause once u change cams and valve. u will need to get it dyno tuned to get the car run right with all new fuel and air ratio adjustment.. and it costs about $350 to $500 to get it tuned . and if u put the higher compression pistons in.then u would have to get it tuned again.. for another $350~$500. but if money isnt an issue to you, u can do that separately. and B serious is right. dont buy the parts just because of the name. do a research there are a lot of good name products might cost less than spoon..ect...
Old 01-21-2008, 01:50 PM

You have a type R motor for a reason... If i were you i'd keep the type R parts and just do your interior..
Old 01-21-2008, 03:45 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeremyowns18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have a type R motor for a reason... If i were you i'd keep the type R parts and just do your interior..</TD></TR></TABLE>

He just said B18C. Could be a SIR-G swap. Interior? What does that have to do with a motor? He wants to upgrade the engine.

It's like if you were asking opinions on a steering wheel, and I said "you allready have a steering wheel, why not buy a valve cover".
Old 01-21-2008, 04:35 PM

LOL sorry 'bout the typo, yea i got the real Desmond REGAmasters..lol but yea im going with spoon because i do race... A LOT and i intend on using the car as my daily driver and my weekend track car. i do a lot of daily racing with the car and i chose Spoon because they have the most experience with the Type R motors( YES it IS a JDM ITR motor lol) and they are very reliable. in my eyes they are the best when it comes to these motors in quality and daily reliability for going all motor. but yea, i love my lil 99 si. its a beast rite now but i have a lot of big plans for it that i am very dedicated to complete. im looking for it to be an all motor MONSTER and i just LOVE spoon parts and that just the only way i wanna go. oh and the pistons arnt THAT much of a higher compression. just a little higher than stock. ive seen wut my friends JDM GSR can do.. STOCK block he's runnin mid 13's all day on street tires with just a mugen chipped ecu and a 98 Type R tranny.so thats my goal pretty much. just build it all motor n try n get into the high to mid 12's
Old 01-21-2008, 04:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueBallsSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL sorry 'bout the typo, yea i got the real Desmond REGAmasters..lol but yea im going with spoon because i do race... A LOT and i intend on using the car as my daily driver and my weekend track car. i do a lot of daily racing with the car and i chose Spoon because they have the most experience with the Type R motors( YES it IS a JDM ITR motor lol) and they are very reliable. in my eyes they are the best when it comes to these motors in quality and daily reliability for going all motor. but yea, i love my lil 99 si. its a beast rite now but i have a lot of big plans for it that i am very dedicated to complete. im looking for it to be an all motor MONSTER and i just LOVE spoon parts and that just the only way i wanna go. oh and the pistons arnt THAT much of a higher compression. just a little higher than stock. ive seen wut my friends JDM GSR can do.. STOCK block he's runnin mid 13's all day on street tires with just a mugen chipped ecu and a 98 Type R tranny.so thats my goal pretty much. just build it all motor n try n get into the high to mid 12's </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol so you drag race, but you want spoon internals?

Spoon builds race motors. The tolerances are very tight, the revs are very high. You're not gonna get too much of a gain using spoon parts over stock because they are very much tuned for reliability. Either way, it's not going to be an excellent street motor.

If you just want to drag race, you could do the same thing and be more reliable without going into your internals. Once you go into your internals, you kinda give up OEM reliability. Most engine builders dont build them like they do at the factory. You can buy an entire spoon long block. It will probably be cheaper than doing all the work you're talking about doing.

I still can't believe you're doing all this to drag race.

But if you really wanna spend that kind of $$$ and still get walked on by someone that spent way less....go for it.

Are you doing this to drag race? Or am I assuming incorrectly?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He just said B18C. Could be a SIR-G swap. Interior? What does that have to do with a motor? He wants to upgrade the engine.

It's like if you were asking opinions on a steering wheel, and I said "you allready have a steering wheel, why not buy a valve cover". </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol dude my bad i think i was reading two threads and i mixed the two.. haha i dont know where i got teh interior thing from. but what i meant was why would you want all these parts if you already have a motor thats very reliable with stock internals and everything... thats what i meant by saying its a Type R for a reason.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:08 AM

lol yea ive looked at the prices for the spoon long blocks n there $6185 i believe from t the last time i checked. i kno my SI isnt going to b the fastest thing out there. but i just want 2 be able 2 be @ a stop light waiting for green and sum cocky *** v8 guy rolls up or an evo n i just either walk'em or rape em wit no lube..lol (no homo) and still b able to go to the track and run good times. lol i push my cars HARD. ive went thru 2 already but one wuz a piece of ****(97 GST SPYDER @15 psi crank-walk) and the other was a 97 honda Crv (turbo sleeper project)-but a expletivein deer decided 2 run out in front of me @ 115mph. i wuz so pissed cuz it took me SOOOOO long 2 get up there n as soon as i did that damn thing crawled UNDER the guard rail and rite in front of my car...lol but yea i kno i cant do anything about dear unless i get a cow-catcher on the front but i think we ALL kno that aint happening lol. but the point is i beat my cars up.. almost EVERY day if not and i just want it 2 be reliable and powerful as im lookin. ive seen all motors run 11's b4 but thats cuz they were gutted hatches. im jus lookin for high 12's low 13's or better and i jus feel like with Spoon i can achieve that. i do go 2 road tracks every once in a while but i race more on the street than anything. Backroads, Highways.. w/e.. im there n when im there i pushing my cars to the very limit. but this car i wanna keep for a while WITHOUT having 2 sacrifice my driving ya kno..lol and i KNO it can b done. but if u have any other advice for different parts im open to ideas.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:47 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueBallsSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol yea ive looked at the prices for the spoon long blocks n there $6185 i believe from t the last time i checked. i kno my SI isnt going to b the fastest thing out there. but i just want 2 be able 2 be @ a stop light waiting for green and sum cocky *** v8 guy rolls up or an evo n i just either walk'em or rape em wit no lube..lol (no homo) and still b able to go to the track and run good times. lol i push my cars HARD. ive went thru 2 already but one wuz a piece of ****(97 GST SPYDER @15 psi crank-walk) and the other was a 97 honda Crv (turbo sleeper project)-but a expletivein deer decided 2 run out in front of me @ 115mph. i wuz so pissed cuz it took me SOOOOO long 2 get up there n as soon as i did that damn thing crawled UNDER the guard rail and rite in front of my car...lol but yea i kno i cant do anything about dear unless i get a cow-catcher on the front but i think we ALL kno that aint happening lol. but the point is i beat my cars up.. almost EVERY day if not and i just want it 2 be reliable and powerful as im lookin. ive seen all motors run 11's b4 but thats cuz they were gutted hatches. im jus lookin for high 12's low 13's or better and i jus feel like with Spoon i can achieve that. i do go 2 road tracks every once in a while but i race more on the street than anything. Backroads, Highways.. w/e.. im there n when im there i pushing my cars to the very limit. but this car i wanna keep for a while WITHOUT having 2 sacrifice my driving ya kno..lol and i KNO it can b done. but if u have any other advice for different parts im open to ideas. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Spoon's engines aren't THAT MUCH more powerful than stock. You're not gonna run 12s or 13s with an Si and a spoon engine. Why dont you just buy a RWD V8 if you want to drag race? Or a 1g DSM? You're not gonna beat any respectable V8 with your setup. Maybe you'll catch a Ford Explorer sleepin one day, but you're not gonna beat any LS1 V8 camaros or anything with your setup....even if the camaro is 100% stock. You MAY keep up with or beat a stockish 4.6L mustang from a roll. Maybe you'll beat stockish 5.0s...but who cares? You'll still get walked all over by stock 350Zs and S2000s.

If you want to push the car every day, you need to keep the internals stock. There's very few reputable and capable engine builders when it comes to motors like the B series. You can find one, but it's gonna be expensive.

Why not just back off a little bit? You do realize that there are OTHER people on the roads that you "drive your car to the limit" on? I dont wanna insult you too much...but it sounds like you just got done watching fast and furious, and you want some SPOON ENGINES or SR20DETs for your civic to go street racing with. Seriously..make yourself answer the question: What happens if someone else gets hurt because you were street racing? Would you feel bad?

Why do you HAVE TO beat on your car like that every day? It just sounds a little ridiculous. BTW, dont B.S. and say you go to road race tracks. Which ones?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I dont wanna insult you too much...but it sounds like you just got done watching fast and furious, and you want some SPOON ENGINES or SR20DETs for your civic to go street racing with.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol +1

total noob
Old 01-22-2008, 10:03 AM

if u drag thn get a thicker head gasket and boost. its cheaper
Old 01-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueBallsSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol yea ive looked at the prices for the spoon long blocks n there $6185 i believe from t the last time i checked. i kno my SI isnt going to b the fastest thing out there. but i just want 2 be able 2 be @ a stop light waiting for green and sum cocky *** v8 guy rolls up or an evo n i just either walk'em or rape em wit no lube..lol (no homo) and still b able to go to the track and run good times. lol i push my cars HARD. ive went thru 2 already but one wuz a piece of ****(97 GST SPYDER @15 psi crank-walk) and the other was a 97 honda Crv (turbo sleeper project)-but a expletivein deer decided 2 run out in front of me @ 115mph. i wuz so pissed cuz it took me SOOOOO long 2 get up there n as soon as i did that damn thing crawled UNDER the guard rail and rite in front of my car...lol but yea i kno i cant do anything about dear unless i get a cow-catcher on the front but i think we ALL kno that aint happening lol. but the point is i beat my cars up.. almost EVERY day if not and i just want it 2 be reliable and powerful as im lookin. ive seen all motors run 11's b4 but thats cuz they were gutted hatches. im jus lookin for high 12's low 13's or better and i jus feel like with Spoon i can achieve that. i do go 2 road tracks every once in a while but i race more on the street than anything. Backroads, Highways.. w/e.. im there n when im there i pushing my cars to the very limit. but this car i wanna keep for a while WITHOUT having 2 sacrifice my driving ya kno..lol and i KNO it can b done. but if u have any other advice for different parts im open to ideas. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You would think that you would learn the first time not to drive that fast on the road.

And a Spoon engine won't put you into the 12's...13's maybe...and you can't expect to "beat a car up everyday" and it never break......******* the **** out of a car tends to cause things to break.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:37 PM

ok FIRST OFF. i have NO idea why people are saying that i cant run 12's n 13's with any honda engine let alone a type R spoon engine.. maybe you people think im jus gonna drop it and leave it and thats it. NO thas not the case. i have A LOT of plans for the motor. i kno they cant run stock 12's n 13's but with sum work no DOUBT they can.

And "B Serious"&gt; WUT THE F*@% ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THAT I WOULD GET WALKED ALL OVER BY STOCK 350Z'S AND S2000'S... im sorry but you just sounded soo ignorant just then its not even funny. With my old B16 with sum work done i was door to door FROM A DIG with my friends 350z with an intake. now with the JDM B18c that thing puts my B16 to ABSOLUTE SHAME! so i have no idea wut your talking about with all that crap about stock 350z's and S2000's walkin all over me. And second of all i live in upstate New york and the nearest 1/4 mile track is Englishtown out in Jersey. those road race coarses with the cones, ive only been to one but it wasnt anything big. look i appreciate the responses you've given me in the past but the last one you just sent was so arrogant and ignorant its not even funny. i hate that s#!% and i dont feel i gave you a reason to act like that towards me. im sry but i just think its f@#&ed up that ur sayin all that "I dont wanna insult you too much...but it sounds like you just got done watching fast and furious, and you want some SPOON ENGINES or SR20DETs for your civic to go street racing with."

and since when do i come on here for an opinion about sum work gettn done and i get lecture about my driving. WUT KIND OF B.S. IS THAT!!! Act like i dont hear it all the time from cops and people. im sorry to say this and no disrespect but im not gonna stop. i dont mean to be a dick about all this but its jus that you shouldnt care so much. thats my parents job, not yours.

look im just gonna drop it. if people wanna comment then go ahead. i already kno wut my car can and will do when i get done with it. i appreciate all the oppinions people have givien me and thanks for the advice.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So what do you think your car will run when you're done with it? How much WHP and torque are you planning on producing?

As for commenting on your driving, you can't say

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueBallsSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and the other was a 97 honda Crv (turbo sleeper project)-but a expletivein deer decided 2 run out in front of me @ 115mph. i wuz so pissed cuz it took me SOOOOO long 2 get up there n as soon as i did that damn thing crawled UNDER the guard rail and rite in front of my car...lol but yea i kno i cant do anything about dear unless i get a cow-catcher on the front but i think we ALL kno that aint happening lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and not expect to catch some **** for it. Obviously your "turbo sleeper project" wasn't much of anything because it took you "SOOOOOO" long to get to 115mph on a public road where you ended up hitting a deer.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueBallsSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok FIRST OFF. i have NO idea why people are saying that i cant run 12's n 13's with any honda engine let alone a type R spoon engine.. maybe you people think im jus gonna drop it and leave it and thats it. NO thas not the case. i have A LOT of plans for the motor. i kno they cant run stock 12's n 13's but with sum work no DOUBT they can.

And "B Serious"&gt; WUT THE F*@% ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THAT I WOULD GET WALKED ALL OVER BY STOCK 350Z'S AND S2000'S... im sorry but you just sounded soo ignorant just then its not even funny. With my old B16 with sum work done i was door to door FROM A DIG with my friends 350z with an intake. now with the JDM B18c that thing puts my B16 to ABSOLUTE SHAME! so i have no idea wut your talking about with all that crap about stock 350z's and S2000's walkin all over me. And second of all i live in upstate New york and the nearest 1/4 mile track is Englishtown out in Jersey. those road race coarses with the cones, ive only been to one but it wasnt anything big. look i appreciate the responses you've given me in the past but the last one you just sent was so arrogant and ignorant its not even funny. i hate that s#!% and i dont feel i gave you a reason to act like that towards me. im sry but i just think its f@#&ed up that ur sayin all that "I dont wanna insult you too much...but it sounds like you just got done watching fast and furious, and you want some SPOON ENGINES or SR20DETs for your civic to go street racing with."

and since when do i come on here for an opinion about sum work gettn done and i get lecture about my driving. WUT KIND OF B.S. IS THAT!!! Act like i dont hear it all the time from cops and people. im sorry to say this and no disrespect but im not gonna stop. i dont mean to be a dick about all this but its jus that you shouldnt care so much. thats my parents job, not yours.

look im just gonna drop it. if people wanna comment then go ahead. i already kno wut my car can and will do when i get done with it. i appreciate all the oppinions people have givien me and thanks for the advice. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol maybe you get a lot of crap from cops, people, and your parents because you're doing something stupid. You think those people go "hey, that kid is driving responsibly...lets give him a hard time for no reason"? No. They see some jackass weaving in and out of traffic, cutting people off, and doing way over the safe speed envelope. Try to think of the person you cut off for no reason.

I guess you're just 19 going on 15, man. You're not gonna think anything of anything until you see something.

I've seen some really bad wrecks where people die from doing stupid ****. It kinda makes you think after seeing it. Then you get to thinking what would happen if you killed someone else while doing dumb **** in a car. You gotta respect the consequences. You're driving a 2500lb object at triple digit speeds on public roads. A lot of people aren't expecting that. You could end up seriously hurting someone.

Maybe if you ever saw the blood and guts residue from what happens, you'd rethink some of the stupid **** you're talking about doing.

Getting back on topic, however:

Your imaginary spoon engine in your Si coupe may touch 13s. But low 14s will be more common. Seeing as how stock S2000s have been known in more than a few occasions to run 13s, it would be fair to say that they would beat you. Do you think your engine will have more than 240hp? I've gotten on the track with lots of cars with different motors and setups. You're in for a big dissapointment.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueBallsSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Act like i dont hear it all the time from cops and people. im sorry to say this and no disrespect but im not gonna stop. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm going to try and save you a lot of time and money here just like everyone else has. Even though so far you think you know more than all of us. Spoon engines are built for AUTO CROSS or CIRCUIT RACING, NOT DRAG. Yes your motor will rev out with spoon parts, but you wont put out that much power and you wont even touch an evo especially from a stop. Good luck with whatever you choose, but if you want to drag Spoon is definetly not the way to go.

Oh and you didn't beat your friend with a 350 with your B16, he either wasn't racing or cannot drive.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:22 AM

this is the kinda posting that gets people beat up... lol b16 beating a 350.. was he behind his car pushing hard?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:34 AM

look i didnt come on here to argue with anybody.

Smileycvc: what r u talking about "Even though so far you think you know more than all of us" NO i don't. i never said i did and how am i acting like it. Obviously i dont if im on hear asking questions about my engine. i would love to kno as much as sum people i kno and im trying but as of rite now i dont. and about the 350z, i just said i was DOOR 2 DOOR with my friends 350z. i did not say beat, it was even. i have no reason to come on here and lie to anybody about this. i get lied to all the time by people i though i could trust and it sucks. i hate lie'n an i hate it when people tell me im lie'n when im not. maybe he did suck @ driving, but all i kno is that we were door 2 door by 3rd gear and that wuz it. if u wanna crack @ me more then go ahead but i kno wut i did and what happend so its w/e.

B serious: thanks for explaining everything but i already have seen 3 of my friends die from speeding. i kno its stupid and yes i do think about it sumtimes and yes it does scare me but 4 sum reason when sumone wants 2 race me all that goes away. look i kno the outcome of what could happen emotionally and finacialy is at the very least devastating, but i just never learn from anything that happens to me or around me. idk why im that way, i just am. sumtimes i just wish i wasnt but i kno by then it will b to late. look i just want to kno the best safest set up for my car because i do "drive" my car when i drive it. i exaggerated a little bit when i said every day, not every day. ive gotten better over the years but i do still do it about 3-4 times a week. i just figured Spoon being made for what it is-high stress and constant high revving- i figured it would b the best way to go.

what set up should i go with then if spoon isnt the exact way to go. sumthing that i could make the most power out of it. can i still use the spoon cams and cam gears or should i go bigger. i dont want VTec killer cams cuz i herd it feels like you dont get enough bottom - mid range out of it. but thats just what i herd.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're still speeding ridiculously after 3 of your friends have died then I'm sorry, but you're not really honoring them by learning from their mistakes.

Slow down dude, if I you were to fly by me doing 100+ I would seriously call the cops, tell them what road/direction you were going, and then wave at you as you were either A) getting a ticket or B) getting hauled off to jail.

BUT, to answer your question, since you're bent on the all-motor thing, you need to go look at the All-Motor section.........even though you can get past that goal you've set with a decent turbo kit.