Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just installed the Type R motor today..but having some problems

Old 07-27-2004, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed the Type R motor today..but having some problems

Well thanks to all the info I learned here on the site..I decided to perform my first swap.

Here are the issues Im having..after getting it started and questions I have
Thanks guy ..and ANY help would be much appreciated

Car is:

1992 Civic CX Hatch

Motor is:

1998 USDM B18C5 Type R

Problems:

When I start it up...it idles a bit and and then after about 45 sec. the idle fluxuates up and down. Is it because Im running a P75 Ob1 Ecu? ..(because Im waiting on a jumper harness OBd1 to OBD2..to run my jdm itr ecu)

Questions:

1. Im hearing my car is pre-wired for Vtec...Does this mean that I dont have to run a wire to the ecu for Vtec? And if not..where is the plug that plugs into the solenoid?

2. In the back there seems to be three fuel line connectors..
One of them goes to the Fuel pressure regulater, The next one goes to the Fuel Filter..I cant figure out where the third one goes.

3. Is it okay to be runnin the OBD 2 Engine harness? It plugged in perfectly to my harness to the 92 Civic...what do you think?

Thanks guys..its comfort to know I can ask for help anytime of the day

Old 07-27-2004, 11:52 PM

Default Re: Just installed the Type R motor today..but having some problems (YFZ350)

is htere anyone that can help me?
Old 07-27-2004, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Just installed the Type R motor today..but having some problems (YFZ350)

bump for the engine i would give my right arm for
Old 07-28-2004, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just installed the Type R motor today..but having some problems (99CivicExCoupe)

i'd like to say...1998 USDM B18C5 Type R and 1992 Civic CX Hatch....damn nice platforms!!!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I start it up...it idles a bit and and then after about 45 sec. the idle fluxuates up and down.</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you have CEL? if so, what codes?

Your car is pre-wired for vtec. On an obd1 b-series like b16a or gsr, you need to run some wires to the ecu...i'm guessing it should be the same as for the type r motor.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Just installed the Type R motor today..but having some problems (handa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by handa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd like to say...1998 USDM B18C5 Type R and 1992 Civic CX Hatch....damn nice platforms!!!!

do you have CEL? if so, what codes?</TD></TR></TABLE>Sorry..this is all a different language to me..this is my first swap. I dont know the terminolgoy "CEL" What is that..how do I find the code Im getting?
Old 07-28-2004, 12:08 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

check engine light, what codes
1. Is yes, 92s are prewire to shock towers, so I would imagine by using obd II engine harness you basicly wired up vtec.

2. don't know what you are talking about

3. yes you can do that
Old 07-28-2004, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry..this is all a different language to me..this is my first swap. I dont know the terminolgoy "CEL" What is that..how do I find the code Im getting?</TD></TR></TABLE>

CEL is Check Engine Light.

You can do the CEL code using this very helpful thread: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=682412

hope it helps
Old 07-28-2004, 12:09 AM

CEL=Check Engine Light

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=682412
Old 07-28-2004, 12:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YFZ350 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well thanks to all the info I learned here on the site..I decided to perform my first swap.

Here are the issues Im having..after getting it started and questions I have
Thanks guy ..and ANY help would be much appreciated

Car is:

1992 Civic CX Hatch

Motor is:

1998 USDM B18C5 Type R

Problems:

When I start it up...it idles a bit and and then after about 45 sec. the idle fluxuates up and down. Is it because Im running a P75 Ob1 Ecu? ..(because Im waiting on a jumper harness OBd1 to OBD2..to run my jdm itr ecu)

Questions:

1. Im hearing my car is pre-wired for Vtec...Does this mean that I dont have to run a wire to the ecu for Vtec? And if not..where is the plug that plugs into the solenoid?

One of them goes to the Fuel pressure regulater, The next one goes to the Fuel Filter..I cant figure out where the third one goes.

3. Is it okay to be runnin the OBD 2 Engine harness? It plugged in perfectly to my harness to the 92 Civic...what do you think?

Thanks guys..its comfort to know I can ask for help anytime of the day

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope its the wrong motor man it wont work with your car. so y dont u just give it to me and i can make it work in my car JK.

1. I do not believe the CX is prewired for vtec. so you may have to wire that up. its just a power and a ground. also you do not have a knock sensor hooked up. so that could play a crucile roll with your motor as well. as far as the idle is you may need to clean out the IACV (Idle air control vavle) its the sensor right next to the Thottle position sensor on the back side of the throttle body.

2. you should have a fuel feed to the fuel filter. a fuel return that comes off the regulator and sends it back to the gas tank. and i believe the 3rd one is for the charcoal canister that absorbs all the fuel vapors.

3. Running a OBDII harness is ok as long as you have a OBDII to OBDI jumper since u are running a OBDI ecu. but since u dont have that then i dont see how somethings are working and how you are not popping a CEL( Check Engine light) you will probably throw a code since some of the sensors are not going to the right spot.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Just installed the Type R motor today..but having some problems (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check engine light, what codes
1. Is yes, 92s are prewire to shock towers, so I would imagine by using obd II engine harness you basicly wired up vtec.

at</TD></TR></TABLE>thanks guys...and sorry for my newbie questions. However..where is the plug for the Vtec solenoid ? SHould it be on the wiring harness from the body..or do I have to make one?
Old 07-28-2004, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Just installed the Type R motor today..but having some problems (JDMlyfestyle)

thanks JDMlyfestyle for your info. Im using the orginal b18c5 harness on the motor. The body harness plugged right into. I put in a P75 Obd1 ls ecu just to start it though. How Do I find out what code IM throwing and do you have a pic of the IACV valve..so I know what to take apart and clena? Thanks
Old 07-28-2004, 12:22 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

if your engine harness doesn't have it, just run a4 for vtec solenoid, d6 to one of the wires on the vtec oil pressure switch, and second wire to the ground. Since you are runing LS ecu don't bother with vtec right now.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Just installed the Type R motor today..but having some problems (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your engine harness doesn't have it, just run a4 for vtec solenoid, d6 to one of the wires on the vtec oil pressure switch, and second wire to the ground. Since you are runing LS ecu don't bother with vtec right now.</TD></TR></TABLE>Sorry I have no clue what is A4 and D6?
Old 07-28-2004, 12:59 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

plugs on OBD I ecu connector.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:46 AM

dayam a **** load of mixed info all around..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YFZ350 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like a problem with the IACV (idle air control valve), idle screw (on top of the throttle body), or the fast idle valve.

Here's what you can do to solve that..

- Remove the IACV from the intake manifold, grab some brake or carb cleaner, and clean the IACV screens.
- Tigthen the idle screw until you reach +/- 750 RPM for idle. The idle screw is on top of the throttle body.
- Fast idle valve -- under neath the throttle body. There are two phillips 8 mm bolts that hold a gold plate on it. Remove that plate, and tighten the spring loaded valve all of the way until it's tight.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YFZ350 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

YES. It is pre-wired for vtec. The cabin harness is ONLY wired for vtec. Not the factory engine harness. If you used the ITR harness, then your car is already wired properly. If you adapted the CX harness, then you need to manually wire vtec from the vtec solenoid & pressure sensor and match it up to the wires at the shock tower harness.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

There are two to the fuel filter. One from the gas tank and the other to the fuel rail. That is located by your battery. There is another one which is the fuel tank return line which is on the driver side, and that goes to your FPR.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, that is the beauty of Hondas. If you used the ITR harness, then you're already wired for vtec.

Also, check the codes you have if your CEL is on. You can do that by pulling the service connector which is at the passenger side kick panel in a green boot. There is a three pin connector, and a two pin connector.

Grab a metal paperclip, bend it into a "U" shape, and stick it into the two pin connector. Put the car in the ON position, and count the number of times the CEL blinks on the gauge cluster.

One long blink = 10
One short blink = 1

So, two long blinks, and one short blink = 21.

HTH.

PS -&gt; and why are you running the ITR ecu? I would just get a chipped P28. Plug, play and go.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:11 AM

Default Re: Just installed the Type R motor today..but having some problems (poison)

Thank you so much. You have made me more confidence and cant wait til tomorrow. One question though.

I used the itr engine harness. There is a grey plug from the Vtec solenoid...where does the other side of the plug come from? Its not there..does it come from the chassis wiring harness or the Engine wiring harness?

I circles what exactly Im talking about...THe grey plug is on the solenoid still...however there is nothing on the other end..and I know there is suppost to be something that plugs into the solenoid

Old 07-28-2004, 02:14 AM

Yes, that's the vtec solenoid plug. Is anything plugged into it?
Old 07-28-2004, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Just installed the Type R motor today..but having some problems (poison)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, that's the vtec solenoid plug. Is anything plugged into it?</TD></TR></TABLE>nope there isnt...thats what Im wondering. Is the plug that plugs into it...come from the engine harness or the chassis harness.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:17 AM

If you used the ITR harness, then it should be there. It was probably cut off or something.

Is there a green plug next to it? That's the vtec pressure switch.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you used the ITR harness, then it should be there. It was probably cut off or something.

Is there a green plug next to it? That's the vtec pressure switch.</TD></TR></TABLE>yep..but there is nothing plugged into both...the plugs that plug into both the vtec pressure switch and solenoid supposed to be with the engine harness or chassis harness?
Old 07-28-2004, 02:21 AM

Your car is already pre-wired for vtec in the cabin harness (the harness from the shock tower to the ECU)..

The stock Cx factory harness is not. But you said you used the OBD2 ITR harness correct?

If it's the ITR harness, then the vtec solenoid and pressure switch should already be plugged in unless it was cut off. Otherwise, it's a different harness.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:24 AM

Im not sure if its using the itr factory wiring harness. the motor was previously in a obd2 Integra RS. I think they might have used the harness from that motor. I rode in the car though..and it used the JDM itr ecu and vtec and everything functioned properly. Is this a hard fix?

Ps if this helps..I remembered looking at the vtec solenoid and how it was wired. THe plug that plugged into the vtec solenoid ..had a wire running all the way into the cabin.

thanks againg poison
Old 07-28-2004, 02:27 AM

If there is nothing plugged into both, then you can manually wire vtec up or you can just purchase an uncut OBD2 harness, depending on how clean & stock looking you want your set up.

I would just manually wire it up.

Grab a wire, match it up to the Grn/Yel wire on the VTEC solenoid, and mate it up with the ORG/WHT wire at the passenger shock tower harness.

For the pressure switch, go from the pressure switch to the ORG/BLU wire at the shock tower harness, and the other pinout black wire to the thermostat ground.

Just as long as the A4 pinout (vtec solenoid) and the D6 pinout see the sensors, you'll be fine.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YFZ350 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im not sure if its using the itr factory wiring harness. the motor was previously in a obd2 Integra RS. I think they might have used the harness from that motor. I rode in the car though..and it used the JDM itr ecu and vtec and everything functioned properly. Is this a hard fix?

Ps if this helps..I remembered looking at the vtec solenoid and how it was wired. THe plug that plugged into the vtec solenoid ..had a wire running all the way into the cabin.

thanks againg poison</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's why right there. The harness is the RS and the RS originally have a B18B (non-vtec).

So the RS owner manually wired it up which is what you need to do. It's not a hard fix at all. Only three wires, but everyone's opinion of "hard" is different.

To some people, it's a 5 min job. To others, it's an all day thing.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:33 AM

oic..thanks man..*Immma sleep a whole lot better tonight.

For the record..what does ORG stand for?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just installed the Type R motor today..but having some problems