Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

just installed new timing belt and now squeaky noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just installed new timing belt and now squeaky noise?

this past weekend my friend and i installed a new timing belt, tensioner and water pump. The motor runs fine and it idles on 600's so i now the timing is right. Now i hear this sqeaky sound every time i press the gas. i checked my other belts and they are not it. Its coming from the sprocket area. Could it be my tensioner or water pump is defetive. The belt and tensioner is oem honda and the water pump is new from autozone. i dont want to take of timing belt of again any suggestion what it is?
Old 07-25-2005, 06:48 PM
Electrician

Your problem might be the water pump from AutoZone. They don't have great parts, at all. Something that important, I would've gone with an OEM water pump from Honda.

Are you sure it isn't any of the other belts?
Old 07-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe you have the belt too tight... that happened on my friends zc motor it was way way too tight it was making a sqeeling noise and i loosened the belt and its fine now
Old 07-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: (siregcivic)

I'm guessing it's the waterpump, I was always under the impression the water pump would squeel when it was going bad? Can someone confirm that.

And again, I agree with Deemeetree with something as important as a water pump I would've gotton an OEM one.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:54 PM
Electrician

The water pump could be the issue. Bad seal, bearing, etc...

IMO, take the water pump back and get one from Honda.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Re: (Deemeetree)

OT: Does the water pump make a squeeling noise when it's going out?
Old 07-25-2005, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM-EJ1)

it was too late when someone told me i should of gone with autozone. The reason i bought it cause they matched the price and i got for 42.00 and the w.pump is new and not remanufactured but i guess everybody tells me it crap. The reason i changed my timing belt cause i would hear a whinning sound from the same area and it was my water pump. Now that i changed everything*timing b,tens,w.p) and now it squeaks. im confused cause it doesnt sound like a the old water pump. Should i loosen up the belt but i dont want to **** up my motor ifs too loose.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: (civic_type_r)

Are you sure you got it down to the correct torque spec when you installed it? If you did, then it won't be the timing belt.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you sure you got it down to the correct torque spec when you installed it? If you did, then it won't be the timing belt.</TD></TR></TABLE>

u mean the water pump?
Old 07-25-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: (civic_type_r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_type_r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u mean the water pump?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, you said you changed the timing belt. When you installed it, did you torque the cam gear and everything down to the correct torque specs?
Old 07-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, you said you changed the timing belt. When you installed it, did you torque the cam gear and everything down to the correct torque specs?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i didnt take the cam gear off. Theres no need.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:24 AM

Default Re: just installed new timing belt and now squeaky noise? (civic_type_r)

Too tight

Sorry to put it so harsh but you know what you gotta do

Try and just drive it for a couple of hundred miles to see if it loosens (if you are the sort of person who takes risks) If not then.............****£#g Wan~#r Twa7 Bast@#rd Bit#h...... Here come the beep you know what do to.

Old 07-26-2005, 05:36 AM

Default Re: just installed new timing belt and now squeaky noise? (supaman111)

Your timing belt is too tight. I bet it gets louder as the revs climb.

It will not "stretch" with driving it like a madman either. Best bet is to bite the bullet, go in and loosen it a little. If not, you risk premature belt failure and/or broken camshaft pulley.

Good luck.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:21 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: just installed new timing belt and now squeaky noise? (dareseven)

A too-tight timing belt will whine, but not really squeal.

I wonder if it's the upper cover being rubbed on by the cam gear or the belt itself.

A lot of times if the covers are not both perfectly lined up you'll get a rubbing/squealing noise because a pulley is rubbing it.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:26 AM

Default Re: just installed new timing belt and now squeaky noise? (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A too-tight timing belt will whine, but not really squeal.

I wonder if it's the upper cover being rubbed on by the cam gear or the belt itself.

A lot of times if the covers are not both perfectly lined up you'll get a rubbing/squealing noise because a pulley is rubbing it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Never knew that, good to know.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A too-tight timing belt will whine, but not really squeal.

A lot of times if the covers are not both perfectly lined up you'll get a rubbing/squealing noise because a pulley is rubbing it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

kinda a funny cause the old t.b. the engine would whine but now w/ the new t.b. it squeals. i dont think its the covers and dam i do not want to take the timing belt off again. First timing doing this, it took us about 10 hrs cause the crank pulley was a biach too take off!!! Thanks anways!
Old 07-26-2005, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just installed new timing belt and now squeaky noise? (dareseven)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dareseven &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your timing belt is too tight. I bet it gets louder as the revs climb.

It will not "stretch" with driving it like a madman either. Best bet is to bite the bullet, go in and loosen it a little. If not, you risk premature belt failure and/or broken camshaft pulley.

Good luck. </TD></TR></TABLE>

At idle it doesnt make any sound at all just when u rev it at a higher rpm. How much slack should the belt have?
Old 07-26-2005, 06:59 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: just installed new timing belt and now squeaky noise? (civic_type_r)

I would loosen the tensioner bolt and let the belt get a tad more slack on it. Don't put any tension on the belt, and then tighten up the tensioner bolt. The spring *should* add the correct amount of tension, but somtimes you have to put a very light bit of pressure on the cam gear with a wrench to tension the belt a bit more if the spring keeps the belt too loose.

Unfortunately there's no real easy way to explain the right amount of tension. I had to readjust my belt on a Civic I purchased (to sell and make money) a few times before I got the noise out of mine.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States

Just because it idles good, doesn't mean the timing is right, I know from first hand experience.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:15 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: just installed new timing belt and now squeaky noise? (MugenHonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MugenHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just because it idles good, doesn't mean the timing is right, I know from first hand experience.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

True, but the belt being off a tooth or two won't in itself cause any noises other than detonation/spark knock under throttle. That's more of a rattling/pinging noise than a squeal though...
Old 07-26-2005, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem with my belt, I adjusted the tensioner and it was all good.
If you dont know how to do it here's how, Take off valve cover and so on, make sure your number 1 piston is TDC, loosen your tensioner bolt but dont take it out, turn your pulley counterclockwise till 3 teeth on your cam gear turn, then tighten your tensioner bolt(33lbs). If you still hear the noise then go to autozone and tell them there water pump sucks and you want a refund.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

True, but the belt being off a tooth or two won't in itself cause any noises other than detonation/spark knock under throttle. That's more of a rattling/pinging noise than a squeal though...</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats true my engine sounds fine and response fine. No knocking or wierd ide.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just installed new timing belt and now squeaky noise? (fasthatchb18c1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fasthatchb18c1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the same problem with my belt, I adjusted the tensioner and it was all good.
If you dont know how to do it here's how, Take off valve cover and so on, make sure your number 1 piston is TDC, loosen your tensioner bolt but dont take it out, turn your pulley counterclockwise till 3 teeth on your cam gear turn, then tighten your tensioner bolt(33lbs). If you still hear the noise then go to autozone and tell them there water pump sucks and you want a refund.</TD></TR></TABLE>

3 teeth u say. i know what ill be doing this weekend.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:42 AM

Dude the belt is too tight, dont **** about with taking the belt off again, release the tensioner, locate the longest stretch of the belt and in the centre push it in and 1 inch is how much it should push for slacknss.

check http://www.c-speedracing.com