Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

just installed new brake shoes and now drum won't go back on....help

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just installed new brake shoes and now drum won't go back on....help

can some let me know why this is?? I have the adjuster all the way in and they still wont go on....it is like the drum wont clear the new shoes....please help.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: just installed new brake shoes and now drum won't go back on....help (redpeppers)

are you sure you bought the correct shoes for your car?
Old 08-16-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Re: just installed new brake shoes and now drum won't go back on....help (kkim)

is that a joke........
Old 08-16-2005, 11:10 PM

Default Re: just installed new brake shoes and now drum won't go back on....help (redpeppers)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redpeppers &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is that a joke........</TD></TR></TABLE>

no... are you sure you have the correct parts? if you have the adjuster in all the way and if the hub still won't fit over the shoes, that means the shoes are too thick for the drum. Are these OEM Honda shoes or parts store shoes? Regardless, doublecheck that you got the correct parts... I'm serious. Sometimes they just flat give you the wrong part numbers or the wrong parts are in the correct part numbered boxes.

Parking brake released and working properly? (pivoting freely w/o sticking?)

Old 08-16-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Re: just installed new brake shoes and now drum won't go back on....help (kkim)

try just pushing the brakes close together. make sure the e-brake is released from inside the car(duh) but u never know. but the pads get pushed out from the compression, try pushin them together at the top, worked for me. u gotta push hard tho dont be a pansie. lol
Old 08-17-2005, 12:02 AM

Default Re: just installed new brake shoes and now drum won't go back on....help (hookedonvtec)

is there more than one adjuster or just the one at the top?
Old 08-17-2005, 12:21 AM

do u think grinding the drum down will fix the problem? I did not have the drum turned because the way it looked i didn't think it need turned.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:44 AM

grinding the drum down won't help in this case. there seems to be something wrong with how the parts went back together, an adjuster that is not all the way closed or you might have the wrong parts.

Double check your work and like the poster above said, check your adjusters and the parking brake again.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had this happen before... I put the adjuster on backwards so to speak. I had it facing the right direction I just put the edge that was supposed to be on the outside on the inside and it didn't allow the brake shoes to compress enough to slide the drum on. I rotated it after realizing the error of my ways and and bam, **** slid right on!
Old 08-17-2005, 03:48 PM

you just need to unscrew the adjuster when brakes it expands over time to confisate for break wear
Old 08-18-2005, 04:56 AM

Default Re: just installed new brake shoes and now drum won't go back on....help (NIGHTRIDER27)

can someone help....i have everything installed right and adjuster is all the way in. I still cant get drum to clear shoe.....also does anyone know if the adjuster (the side that is on the ebrake side) does the longer side go 2 the front or back?
Old 08-18-2005, 08:16 AM

The longer side goes to the front. I just did my rear brakes a couple of days ago and did the same thing.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:03 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by NineTwoSi
I had this happen before... I put the adjuster on backwards so to speak. I had it facing the right direction I just put the edge that was supposed to be on the outside on the inside and it didn't allow the brake shoes to compress enough to slide the drum on. I rotated it after realizing the error of my ways and and bam, **** slid right on!
Yo this info helpful I was goin start freaking out but read this and bammmm that's the fix I flipped the adjuster around and fixed.. thank you so much!!