Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just installed BRAND NEW clutch, Having problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed BRAND NEW clutch, Having problems!!!

Ok, I just got done installing a Luk Pro Gold clutch in my car yesterday. When I put it all back together, the car would not go into gear when the car was on, but would go into gear with it off. So I popped the boot off so I could see the slave cylender working the clutch fork and it seems as though the slave is not pushing the fork enough to disengage the clutch, but my friend has the exact same car as me so I looked at his and his slave has the exact same amount of travel. It's almost as if the clutch i installed requires almost twice the amount of travel as a stock clutch does. Has anybody ever seen this happen? Is there an aftermarket slave that has either a longer arm or is adjustable or something? I'm running out of ideas. I put a brand new slave, brand new clutch, and just had the tranny rebulit. I did this myself and it is by no means my first rodeo. I even had help from an ASE certified master mechanic who has been doing this for 25+ years. we got a pry bar and manuallypulled the clutch fork back and the clutch finally disengaged but it seemed that the point where it does diengage is out of the slave cylenders reach. Any help would be nice here. Thanks guys

Just curious, If I had put the clutch disk on backwards, which I really am sure I didn't, what would be the symptoms? I plan on tearing it back down today so I will find out if that is the problem. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas let me know please!

I'm thinking I'm just going to go buy an O.E. style clutch and not a performance one and see if that fixes my problem.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Just installed BRAND NEW clutch, Having problems!!! (Okthatsdumb)

pressure plate is junk or it could be your slave or master cylinder,,,, try bleeding the **** out of them... but i had the same problem. I also tried a longer salve push rod but same problem.. more then likely your pressure plate it bad
im no ASE certified but know more them most of them.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just installed BRAND NEW clutch, Having problems!!! (EkFG)

same happened to me. the disk i had was the wrong one and was too thick and wouldnt let me fully disengage.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just installed BRAND NEW clutch, Having problems!!!

Thanks guys,=. I know I didn't install anything wrong, I bet I just got a hold of either the wrong one or just it was manufactured wrong... well time to tear down and start over!
Old 11-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is your master cylinder adjusted correctly?
Old 11-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you change your throwout bearing? if so put your stock one back on. I had the same problem and it was the throwout bearing in the tranny. Make sure that is put in correctly. I can guarantee that the throwout bearing is the problem!
Old 11-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: (EJ1_Ex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1_Ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can guarantee that the throwout bearing is the problem! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Those words can, and often will come back to haunt you.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default re:

There is no "adjustment" for the clutch hydraulics. There is a limited amount at the master cylinder, but with nothing else being changed except for the clutch then I'd say the problem lies in the actual clutch he got.

If he is directly comparing the amount of travel with another car like his and it's the same, yet the other car drives fine then again I think he got a bum clutch.

Also it's next to impossible to guarantee anything when it comes to a prolem like this, especially if you have not seen/driven the car in person.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94EG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Those words can, and often will come back to haunt you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i had the same problem when i installed my new throwout bearing with new clutch. It would not go into gear when the car was on. But when the car was off it went into gear just fine. Then i took off my tranny and put my oem throwout bearing back in never had another problem!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1_Ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i had the same problem when i installed my new throwout bearing with new clutch. It would not go into gear when the car was on. But when the car was off it went into gear just fine. Then i took off my tranny and put my oem throwout bearing back in never had another problem!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cool. That's all you have to say. The trouble comes from the "I guarantee you" part as it could still be the actual clutch itself and not thr T.O bearing. I have no doubt you experienced an issue with T.O bearing, but because it can be something else I'd just leave out the "guarantee" part.

Modified by B18C5-EH2 at 1:46 PM 11/4/2008
Old 11-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Cool. That's all you have to say. The trouble comes from the "I guarantee you" part as it could still be the actual clutch itself and not thr T.O bearing. I have no doubt you experienced an issue wioth T.O bearing, but because it can be something else I'd just leave out the "gurantee" part.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i understand where your coming from. Its just that I did everything to figure out what it was, like bleeding the clutch and other **** before i took off the tranny to change the T.O bearing
Old 11-04-2008, 10:30 AM

when i replaced my clutch on my old 94 my throw out bearing springs kept poping off limiting the travel of the clutch. luckly it kept poping off before i put the tranny together so i went and bought a new spring clip for it and replaced the old weak spring clip and it held strong.

tho it was obvious my linkage was loose with the clutch cylinder removed.