Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

just got a VIS CF hood...help hood pins ruining my life!!! CONFUSED! ANGRY!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got a VIS CF hood...help hood pins ruining my life!!! CONFUSED! ANGRY!

ok i just got a VIS hood and i love it now i got some nokya pins (please dont tell to get sparco or something because well i already have these so bite me). the idea of drilling into the hood worries me deeply. now there isnt a single element to these hood pins that i understand. the brief destructions on the package do not help at all. can somebody please give me a DETAILED explanation of how this is done. i would greatly appreciate it. thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just got a VIS CF hood...help hood pins ruining my life!!! CONFUSED! ANGRY! (95redcivicex)

ok wait I'm confused how do you expect to pull off using hood pins without drilling your hood? Depending on how well its fits you could try getting a stock oem hood latch and mount it with some strong *** glue, then it would close like your factory hood minus the drill holes
Old 09-23-2002, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: just got a VIS CF hood...help hood pins ruining my life!!! CONFUSED! ANGRY! (95redcivicex)

tools - dremil, 2 wrences, paint marker or nail polish or something similar.
ok if you have an EG or EK look at the radiator support where your headlights mount. the egs have a hole there between the 2 mounts for the headlight, the eks have the hole partialy covered by the headlight mount. you will have to trim the mount for the pin to fit in the hole. you should have 2 nuts, 2 wahsers (maybe) and the latch with 3-4 mounting screws. put the pin in the hole and use the nuts and washers to position it at the height you want it. one nut/washer on top of the rad. support and one on the bottom. repeat for the other side. then take the paint marker or what have you and put a dab of paint on the tip of the hood pin and close the hood. the paint will leave a mark on the bottom of the hood. drill out where the mark is starting from the bottom. i say use the drimmil because you will have to adjust the size of the hole to fit etc. onec you get thougt the bottom frame of the hood repeat this process for the top skin. then mount the latches on the top of the hood with the screws. there, all done. it takes a while to get right but take your time and make sure everything lines up really well before you mount the latches. you will be opening and closing your hood an awfull lot when you do this. it's agervating but you will make it
Old 09-23-2002, 08:18 PM

Default Re: just got a VIS CF hood...help hood pins ruining my life!!! CONFUSED! ANGRY! (Halo)

ok wait I'm confused how do you expect to pull off using hood pins without drilling your hood? Depending on how well its fits you could try getting a stock oem hood latch and mount it with some strong *** glue, then it would close like your factory hood minus the drill holes
im drilling i just want to do it right.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:20 PM

Default Re: just got a VIS CF hood...help hood pins ruining my life!!! CONFUSED! ANGRY! (snail)

tools - dremil, 2 wrences, paint marker or nail polish or something similar.
ok if you have an EG or EK look at the radiator support where your headlights mount. the egs have a hole there between the 2 mounts for the headlight, the eks have the hole partialy covered by the headlight mount. you will have to trim the mount for the pin to fit in the hole. you should have 2 nuts, 2 wahsers (maybe) and the latch with 3-4 mounting screws. put the pin in the hole and use the nuts and washers to position it at the height you want it. one nut/washer on top of the rad. support and one on the bottom. repeat for the other side. then take the paint marker or what have you and put a dab of paint on the tip of the hood pin and close the hood. the paint will leave a mark on the bottom of the hood. drill out where the mark is starting from the bottom. i say use the drimmil because you will have to adjust the size of the hole to fit etc. onec you get thougt the bottom frame of the hood repeat this process for the top skin. then mount the latches on the top of the hood with the screws. there, all done. it takes a while to get right but take your time and make sure everything lines up really well before you mount the latches. you will be opening and closing your hood an awfull lot when you do this. it's agervating but you will make it
thanks for the input but how do i make sure im drilling through the hood at the right angle? another thing if the hood is not completely closed the paint marks are going to be slightly off. please help.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

click on the link in my sig. Go to "Modifications". Click on "Hood Pins". Look at the pictures and follow the instructions.

Go in peace.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just got a VIS CF hood...help hood pins ruining my life!!! CONFUSED! ANGRY! (gamby)

all i did was

put the post in the fatcory holes on the radiator support.....

put grease on those studs...

then on the outer (nice side) of the cf hood..i put tape in layers where i knew id be kinda in the area of drilling through, because it would keep the cf layer from splintering as i drilled up through

lay the hood down...now..see where the grease is on the bottom of the hood...drill on that grease..a little offset to take advantage of the hood position while being closed..so with the hood up..lookin at the underside..put the hole a lil lil tad bit ON but lower then the full shape of the grease spot. remember to drill safely..take off the tape..wipe off the grease..your holes r done.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:30 PM

Don't be scared. Youll only ruin an expensive hood if you mess up. No big deal. Actually you just gotta do the grease method and you can't foul it up too bad.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:33 PM

Default Re: just got a VIS CF hood...help hood pins ruining my life!!! CONFUSED! ANGRY! (gamby)

click on the link in my sig. Go to "Modifications". Click on "Hood Pins". Look at the pictures and follow the instructions.

Go in peace.

thank you sooo much this was sooo helpfull ill post pics once shes done.