Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just got tranny out of car...bearing work...need some HELP please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got tranny out of car...bearing work...need some HELP please!

I just got done pulling my EX tranny out, with the same noises as Petrv

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=956991

I opened it up, and the angular bearing (on the opposite side of the input shaft bearing on the mainshaft) looks fine. The races still look fine and nothing looks wrong. When it's on the mainshaft and you spin it, it's smooth. If you take it off the mainshaft and spin the inside it's a little rougher. On the countershaft side, the bottom bearing is smooth and the top bearing is a little noisy. Here's the catch, I've talked to about 3 or 4 people who have replaced all these bearings, including Petrv, and they still have the same noise. I don't want to spend $70 on 2 new bearings, only to have the same problem as I had when I started. Should I just give up and put my old dx tranny back on and just have a car that runs good, one that I don't have to constantly tweak and **** with?

(For picture reference you can see Petrv's pics, my tranny looks like his)

TIA
Old 08-20-2004, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Just got tranny out of car...bearing work...need some HELP please! (******)

nm, might as well just put the dx back in
Old 08-20-2004, 08:13 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just got tranny out of car...bearing work...need some HELP please! (******)

Yo, sorry to tell ya this, but with that guys problem, might be more than a bearing. I still dont have all the info, but from what I can tell, the bearing may be bad, but hes gonna have to get a dial and check the specs on the whole mainshaft and countershaft. The engine is more than likely balanced, but I'd check the flywheel and clutch, as when replacing one, the other needs to be checked for specs, and usuallty replaced or resurfaced at that mileage. could be a synchro hub.