Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just got a new clutch... is there a break in period or anything?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a new clutch... is there a break in period or anything?

I just got a new clutch and was wondering if there was a break in period. Or was that just for brakes... stumped
Old 01-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Just got a new clutch... is there a break in period or anything? (eug_34)

I have never heard of a break in for a clutch. YOu shoudl be good to go.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got a new clutch... is there a break in period or anything? (eug_34)

Read the manual.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've always read about the 500 mile break in period, but when i finally got the b18 installed i couldnt help but let it loose, my new exedy clutch has been awesome with no problems to this point!!
Old 01-11-2005, 03:00 PM

Just as long as you dont burn it out NO
Old 01-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why not just ride the clutch just a little big and break-in is finished!!! (jk dont listen to me, i have no clue, but my idea might work )
Old 01-11-2005, 03:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BDogggUT34 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've always read about the 500 mile break in period, but when i finally got the b18 installed i couldnt help but let it loose</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same here, my break in only lasted 200 miles
Old 01-11-2005, 03:11 PM

What kind of clutch?
Old 01-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM Squad)

500 mile break-in, city driving only. Whatever freeway driving you do, doesn't count. Go easy and nothing past 3/4 throttle.

I've done it twice in the last year and it always takes too long to do!
Old 01-11-2005, 03:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">500 mile break-in, city driving only. Whatever freeway driving you do, doesn't count. Go easy and nothing past 3/4 throttle.

I've done it twice in the last year and it always takes too long to do!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup, I've heard 200 and 500, but everytime, highway miles don't count.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:40 PM
OG triple OG

Default Re: (SOHC4life 96)

i just drove around somewhat normally for a while , that was it , my 2md is handling it just fine.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Marauder)

im at about 300 but i can chirp 2nd without shifting fast cause my tires are so bald
Old 01-11-2005, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Art In Motion)

500 miles is the recommended break in period, just drive it at low rpms and in the city, highway miles don't count because of the lack of clutch use.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Just got a new clutch... is there a break in period or anything? (flood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have never heard of a break in for a clutch. YOu shoudl be good to go. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmmmm, why dont you go ahead and not give your opinion anymore.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got a new clutch... is there a break in period or anything? (flood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have never heard of a break in for a clutch. YOu shoudl be good to go. </TD></TR></TABLE>
wow, no.

500 miles city stop and go driving. no high rpm shifts till after then.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got a new clutch... is there a break in period or anything? (Revolver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Revolver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hmmmm, why dont you go ahead and not give your opinion anymore.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Give me a ******* break. Its a honda Civic. Im sure the clutch can withstand its 90 lb/ft of torque. (Insert roll eyes here)

Everyone on this forum acts as if their honda is a super powerful race car or something. lol.

oh wait he has a Fog light Kit.

Yeah dude break in your clutch, you might fry it. (insert another rolleyes)
Old 01-12-2005, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (StErN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StErN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">500 miles is the recommended break in period, just drive it at low rpms and in the city, highway miles don't count because of the lack of clutch use. </TD></TR></TABLE>

...although with my new clutch i havent followed that rule...ah well..i can't help it.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:56 AM

Two hundred miles (fifty/fifty city/freeway) is good enough.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:09 AM

I broke in my ACT Stage III w/ extreme pressure plate on my B18C for 550 city miles...i wasnt gonna risk ****** up an $800 clutch and flywheel setup...**** that...just break it in and do a lot of clutch play...and 3K later...she runs great and grabs amazing, gotta love when the dashboard jumps going through the gears even into 4th..yum
Old 01-12-2005, 09:12 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Give me a ******* break. Its a honda Civic. Im sure the clutch can withstand its 90 lb/ft of torque. (Insert roll eyes here)

Everyone on this forum acts as if their honda is a super powerful race car or something. lol.

oh wait he has a Fog light Kit.

Yeah dude break in your clutch, you might fry it. (insert another rolleyes)</TD></TR></TABLE>

although a civic may not be a high performance race car niether is a focus or a metro but they the same as any new car you buy, even a high powered sports car, will tell you in the owners manual, cars have a break-in period. when things in a car are new, you need to BREAK THEM IN. Subs have a break in period, engines and their components have a break-in period, when you replace brakes there is a 200 mile break-in period, its just the way things are. if you buy a brand new car and take it out and immediately begin to beat on it, there will be excessive wear and you can possibly break things, such as rings. so to say "it's a civic, you don't need to break it in." is an assinine statement and shows that you are an ignorant person. So please don't come on here and tell people incorrect information, it's not nice and it just confuses people who are trying to learn more about their car. And as for making fun of civics

"Everyone on this forum acts as if their honda is a super powerful race car or something. lol."

yes this forum is directed to CIVICS. please do not come on here and start making fun of poeple and their cars, that is just childish and does nothing but shows everyone at how immature you really are. And if you have a problem with what I am saying you can PM me if you would like, I have no problem telling you personally what i have stated in this post.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Just got a new clutch... is there a break in period or anything? (hypoxvi)

Just got done doing a Exedy clutch and the paper states that the break in period is about 750 miles. Like someone else said, if you spent $500 on a clutch why not just follow what it says and not risk ruining it and end up spending more at the end cause you had a heavy foot and don't care much about your car. My .02
Old 01-12-2005, 09:18 AM

it depend... if its an organic disc it need to be break in... if its a 6 puck copper disc or ceramic... no need for a break in...
Old 01-12-2005, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Just got a new clutch... is there a break in period or anything? (Lee_Delso)

i would say as long as you are reasonable about it you will be ok. If its an expensive clutch, sure, break it in according to manufactures specs.

but if its oem replacement or nothing special, i say just drive it. Don't glaze it though, thats the most important part being that the surface is new. you glaze it and its toast for no reason, just don't go freaking crazy thats all.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yellowturbo)

what about a twin disc exedy how do you break one of those in
Old 01-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States
Default Re: (username taken)

Well it's not the point about not caring about break in
its the point if he didn't do it himself that he has to pull the tranny off again
regardless 500 miles, then re bleed brake system after 1500 and you are good to go

Quick Reply: Just got a new clutch... is there a break in period or anything?