Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just Got a GSR Swap have Questions???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Got a GSR Swap have Questions???

Hey i am new to the whole swap scene. Here are some questions that i have. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is my background info. I have a 99 Civic CX hatch. What i have done to the car so far:

GSR Brakes all around with MC/Brake booster and SI 40/40
SI front and rear sways
lowered on Tokico illumina's and skunk2 coils (I know everyone loves GC but i got the setup for free)
Skunk2 front and rear camber kit.
Power window conversion (dont know how to get power locks to work)
Power steering and AC.
All CTR parts (awaiting paint, next project)

Here is what i just got:

2000 GSR Swap complete (whole engine, tranny, mani, dist, shift linkage, ac compressor, ecu) minus power steering pump and OEM intake.

Here are the questions:

1. How do I keep my AC and Power Steering after the swap?
2. What should i do to the engine before putting it in? (Timing belt, WP and all the other belts are mandatory).
3. This is my daily driver so what clutch and flywheel should i get?
4. What do i need to swap it into my car? I heard you need the SI rear mount but what else?
5. I read in one of the forums that you need to get the ECU Flashed on 99 and up GSR's if thats true where can i get that done?

My ultimate goal is to get it bar'd so i want to do things right. I have time and want to do things right but i dont want to do a complete rebuild. If you know where i can get some good prices on some OEM parts besides Ebay let me know.

THANKS H-T!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just Got a GSR Swap have Questions???

Originally Posted by luder916

you will need the gsr power steering brackets, and

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/faq-retaining-power-steering-ek-b-series-swap-1822781/

2. What should i do to the engine before putting it in? (Timing belt, WP and all the other belts are mandatory).
timing belt, tensioner, wp, are the big ones. i would check over all the gaskets and check stuff like valve lash

do you have experience with an aftermarket clutch? i daily a 6 puck w/ a pretty aggressive pressure plate no problem. my gf daily with an unsprung disk no problem. but even if your not use to an aggressive clutch id still get something more agresive than stock, youll want it.

4. What do i need to swap it into my car? I heard you need the SI rear mount but what else?
on a 99 civic youll nee the si timing belt side mount and post too. or you could get an aftermarket mount kit made for a gsr in 96-00 civic (you need the GSR one to match the 3 post bracket on your motor gsr= 3 post all other b series= 2 post)

5. I read in one of the forums that you need to get the ECU Flashed on 99 and up GSR's if thats true where can i get that done?
if the swap comes with a 00 gsr ecu, just plug that in, your good to go.

(ps. pre 01 ecu's are not flash programmable, they have to be socketed and chipped)

My ultimate goal is to get it bar'd so i want to do things right. I have time and want to do things right but i dont want to do a complete rebuild. If you know where i can get some good prices on some OEM parts besides Ebay let me know.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, for the help! I will def do that!
Old 02-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

00/01 integra ecus will have an immobilizer in them which he wont be able to bypass. JDM ones will not.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lluks_844
00/01 integra ecus will have an immobilizer in them which he wont be able to bypass. JDM ones will not.
oh. ya.

you could go with a 99 obd2b gsr ecu

get a obd2a or obd1 gsr ecu (and appropriate jumper)

or get an non gsr obd1 ecu (like a p28) and chip it and run a gsr rom (the iabs will not work with this option, but most people seem not to use them anyway)

i dont know what is required to get a car all legal in cali so some of these might not be an option, but the will all work.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you need oem parts let me know, my neighbor works at honda in the parts department and is daily getting me parts! he can also get parts from acura aswell.

have you tried oem parts dealers on the internet. the one i like the most is acuraoemparts.com
Old 02-05-2009, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by lluks_844
X2

Just get a 96-99 OBD2A ECU. You can find them used online if you look around. You will also then need the cabin conversion harness to connect your 99-00 interior to the 96-99 Integra ECU. It's an annoying cost, but trying to remove the immobilizer on the 00/01 ECU is illegal and a pain in the A$$.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:37 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sailingstu05
It's an annoying cost, but trying to remove the immobilizer on the 00/01 ECU is illegal and a pain in the A$$.
I don't see anything illeagal about it, if you own the ECU you can do whatever you want to it. Katman has a service where he removes the immobilizer and installs a dummy unit in its place so the car wont throw a CEL. You also have to move pin A16 at the ECU to A15 for the fuel pump to work when using an '00 - '01 Integra ECU.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
I don't see anything illeagal about it, if you own the ECU you can do whatever you want to it. Katman has a service where he removes the immobilizer and installs a dummy unit in its place so the car wont throw a CEL. You also have to move pin A16 at the ECU to A15 for the fuel pump to work when using an '00 - '01 Integra ECU.
So then will that be able to get the car bar'd? That is where my main goal is. I know bar'ing stations are closed right now until who knows when but i will be gone next week to the east cost for 2 months so i am hoping that when i get back they will be back in service.The guy i bought it from gave me 2 ECU's. One is from the actual car (P72 and the other is P2T???, I dont know if they are the right ones?) I wont be doing it myself but i found a shop to install if but i have to provide all the parts. If anyone knows a good shop in Sacramento that can do it then i would like to know also (its good to keep your options open).

Oh yea, thanks again.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Seagull Management

So then will that be able to get the car bar'd?
You should be able to. Heres what I know wont work in terms of getting it bar'd:
OBD1 ECU will not pass
OBD2 JDM ECU will not pass
ECU not originally meant for engine will not pass

An OBD2A USDM ECU with an OBD2A to OBD2B jumper harness *may* pass, i'm not sure, technically everything to do with the engine is supposed to be the same year as the car or newer, including the ECU, so i'm not sure if it will pass. If it was me i'd get a USDM OBD2B ('00 - '01) P72 and send it to Katman to have the immobilizer removed.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool I will hit up Katman
Old 02-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

99-01 ecu's are all obd2b and have an immobilizer, 96-98 are obd2a. Just find an OBD2a GSR ECU for emissions purposes and then use whatever ECU u want after that. You will need the A/C bracket from a 93-97 del sol to mount up your old a/c compressor. P72 p/s mount for your stock p/s pump. I did this swap in my old 99 EX so i know. As for clutch and flywheel if you're going to be DD'ing the car just use OEM or type-r flywheel and an OEM replacement or stage 1 clutch because heavy traffic will do a number on your leg.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbone
99-01 ecu's are all obd2b and have an immobilizer, 96-98 are obd2a. Just find an OBD2a GSR ECU for emissions purposes and then use whatever ECU u want after that. You will need the A/C bracket from a 93-97 del sol to mount up your old a/c compressor. P72 p/s mount for your stock p/s pump. I did this swap in my old 99 EX so i know. As for clutch and flywheel if you're going to be DD'ing the car just use OEM or type-r flywheel and an OEM replacement or stage 1 clutch because heavy traffic will do a number on your leg.
Actually the cutoff for obd2a in the integ is 99. 96-99 is obd2a 00-01 is obd2b.

You will use the 99-00 post mount as was previously mentioned. Also the 99-00 t-bracket. To mount the stock civic a/c compressor you can use the del sol ac bracket, or a crv ac bracket. I used the crv bracket as it was cheaper when purchasing new. On the PS I used the stock integ power steering pump and brackets. The stock civic PS line bolted right up to the integ pump. I have no experience with the emissions testing as we don't have that out here. I used a 99 integ ecu in my 99 hatch and used a obd2b to obd2a jumper harness.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:10 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by cruizinmax
Actually the cutoff for obd2a in the integ is 99. 96-99 is obd2a 00-01 is obd2b.
Correct The civic is switched to OBD2B one year sooner.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:13 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94EG8
You should be able to. Heres what I know wont work in terms of getting it bar'd:
OBD1 ECU will not pass
OBD2 JDM ECU will not pass
ECU not originally meant for engine will not pass

An OBD2A USDM ECU with an OBD2A to OBD2B jumper harness *may* pass, i'm not sure, technically everything to do with the engine is supposed to be the same year as the car or newer, including the ECU, so i'm not sure if it will pass. If it was me i'd get a USDM OBD2B ('00 - '01) P72 and send it to Katman to have the immobilizer removed.
^^^THIS is true and good info. I haven't done mine yet, but I talked to Katman when I did my swap, and his fix allows you to run an OBD2B p72 with no immobilizer and no CEL. You can remove the immobilizer yourself and it will run, but will throw a constant P1607 code, which won't pass inspection. I'm still planning on having Katman fix my ECU one of these days.

I don't have to deal with BAR myself, but I imagine that an inspector who really knows what to look for would flunk an OBD2a ecu on a 2B car/engine. You'd probably get it by most inspectors, but I believe it's technically illegal.

Seconding the A15/A16 pins post. You will need to swap those for it to start.

I used the gsr power steering pump, but the D series hoses connect right to it. To keep your A/C, you'll want to use the D series AC compressor with a B20 A/C bracket from a 96-01 CRV. Available from Majestic Honda for about $50. The Del Sol VTEC bracket works just fine, but if you're buying new, the CRV bracket is about $40 cheaper.

I'd recommend stock flywheel/clutch unless you have a reason not to. I had a 7lb fidanza on my D-series, and it was fun to drive, but got to be a pain in traffic. I resurfaced my stock gsr flywheel and used an exedy OEM clutch. 13K so far and no problems.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You must use an ECU of that engine of the same year to be BAR legal. I know because I had mine done. I have a 93 SI so it was much easier because the engine was out of a 95 GSR. But it passed without a problem. And you get no sweat from the cops. And it can't be chipped. Believe me they check. It took like three tries for my car to pass but that was because of the CAT that I was using. Just make sure you use all stock parts on the engine cause they fail you for anything modified that they see. That includes fuel rail and all the wiring in the engine.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW THIS IS GREAT INFO!!! I will def. follow all these guidelines. I have to leave for work for a couple of months and trying to piece everything together but want it to be complete for when i get back.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ian_b16
oh. ya.

you could go with a 99 obd2b gsr ecu

get a obd2a or obd1 gsr ecu (and appropriate jumper)

or get an non gsr obd1 ecu (like a p28) and chip it and run a gsr rom (the iabs will not work with this option, but most people seem not to use them anyway)

i dont know what is required to get a car all legal in cali so some of these might not be an option, but the will all work.
Integras started OBD2B in 00. Not 99.

Hey i am new to the whole swap scene. Here are some questions that i have. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is my background info. I have a 99 Civic CX hatch. What i have done to the car so far:

GSR Brakes all around with MC/Brake booster and SI 40/40
SI front and rear sways
lowered on Tokico illumina's and skunk2 coils (I know everyone loves GC but i got the setup for free)
Skunk2 front and rear camber kit.
Power window conversion (dont know how to get power locks to work)
Power steering and AC.
All CTR parts (awaiting paint, next project)

Here is what i just got:

2000 GSR Swap complete (whole engine, tranny, mani, dist, shift linkage, ac compressor, ecu) minus power steering pump and OEM intake.

Here are the questions:

THANKS H-T!

1.) Use the CR-V AC bracket and your original D series compressor for the AC. Use an EM1 power steering pump and the B series power steering brackets. You can also use the 95 Del Sol VTEC bracket. But those are expensive. Either way, www.hondaautomotiveparts.com. www.hondapartscheap.com. www.bernardiparts.com.

2.) General maintenence. TB/WP/Belts and get the crank and cam oil seals while doing this. I would also recommend a new tensioner. That's usually it. Look it over for oil leaks. Use above websites and buy OEM parts.

3.) OEM style or stage 1 Exedy clutch. You don't need a crazy clutch that will make your left leg look like He-man's. Use a moderate weighted flywheel like a 13lb or something like that. Comfortable, driveable, and fun.

4.) You need the SI rear mount. You need the Si 2 prong bracket for the driver's upper mount. You need an IAB subharness (make one) and a VTEC/knock sub harness (make one). Again, use my websites listed in #1 for the mount.

5.) the 00+ GSR has an immobilizer. You can have it removed. Or get a 00-01 JDM ECU.
Integras stared OBD2B in 00. Civics did in 99. If you get a 99 ECU and from an integra with a OBD2A to OBD2B jumper harness, it may or may not be bar legal in california. I'm not familiar with your crazy laws. But you may have issues putting an OBD2A ECU into an OBD2B car.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have stated looking and trying to piece eveything together. Can wait for this to come together! Again if anyone knows of a good shop in Sacramento, CA to put it in let me know. I have another friend who will be doing the same thing here soon also.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by B serious

5.) the 00+ GSR has an immobilizer. You can have it removed. Or get a 00-01 JDM ECU.
JDM ECU wont pass BAR in CA. Also most JDM OBD2 ECUs are OBD2A all the way through the production run.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Integras started OBD2B in 00. Not 99.

1.) Use the CR-V AC bracket and your original D series compressor for the AC. Use an EM1 power steering pump and the B series power steering brackets.
I'm not sure if the LS power steering pump is different that other b series pumps but I used the the stock LS pump when I did my swap. The civic line bolted right up. You may not have to get a different pump at all to keep PS
Old 02-13-2009, 07:58 AM

I think that you can use an older Integra pump. IIRC, a 97 or below pump. But I could be wrong about that...so I just said the EM1 pump.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine was from a 99 integra ls
Old 02-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you do not need to change out the compressor or the pump unless yours starts leaking like a siv, which mine did. You can reuse your stock stuff but you have to change the brackets to make it fit correctly.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:51 PM

The line from my 99 DX wouldn't line up with an integra pump. Weird.

Quick Reply: Just Got a GSR Swap have Questions???