Just got back from the alignment shop

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 09:18 PM
TSPeed Factory

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got back from the alignment shop

here are the specs before the alignment:

Camber - Front Left: -.16 degrees / Front Right: -.68 degrees
Toe - Front Left: -.62 in. / Front Right: -.74 in.

<U>FRONT</U>
Cross Camber: .52 degrees
Total Toe: -1.35 in.

Camber - Rear Left: .16 degrees / Rear Right: -.14 degrees
Toe - Rear Left: .33 in. / Rear Right: .44 in

<U>REAR</U>
Total Toe: .78 in
Thrust Angle: -.11 degrees

AFTER ALIGNMENT:

Camber - Front Left: -.50 degrees / Front Right: -.37 degrees
Toe - Front Left: .03 in. / Front Right: .00 in.

<U>FRONT</U>
Cross Camber: -.13 degrees
Total Toe: .03 in.

Camber - Rear Left: -.24 degrees / Rear Right: -.63 degrees
Toe - Rear Left: .07 in / Rear Right: .03 in

<U>REAR</U>
Total Toe: .10 in
Thrust Angle: .03 degrees

now here's my question. the alignment tech had to raise my car to get it over the rack, but he raised front passenger side about an inch higher then the driver side. i want to lower the passenger side back down so it's even with the driver side. if i re-adjust the height will it throw off my alignment too bad? i don't really know, because this is my first time getting an alignment and the shop was closing and the alignment tech seemed to rush so he can go home.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It absolutely will. They aren't paid to give a ****, they're paid to do a proper alignment to your car's specific geometry. You want to change the geometry, prepare for their alignment to fail.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt you'd notice it. If it is aligned only an inch out from your original drop, then dropping it back an inch isn't going to be a problem.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:37 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (92b16vx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92b16vx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I doubt you'd notice it. If it is aligned only an inch out from your original drop, then dropping it back an inch isn't going to be a problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

An inch can make an insane amount of difference. You've obviously never had sex.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">An inch can make an insane amount of difference. You've obviously never had sex.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well, I've never had a dick in me if that's what you're impling

But I have been playing with my suspension for a week now, dropping raising, stiffening, all different combos, and alignment hasn't been affected at all. Handling has, but that's due to different hieghts and shock settings.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:50 PM
rxse7n

Please tell me how you can drop and raise your car without changing the alignment? Lowering a car changes the toe, as would raising it.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: West Bakalakadaka St., Durka Durka Mohammed Gihad, WMDs
Default Re: (rxse7n)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rxse7n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Please tell me how you can drop and raise your car without changing the alignment? Lowering a car changes the toe, as would raising it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's right, any difference in height will not only change your toe but also your camber. You must have never seen an alignment machine in your life. I just dropped my 97 and it was a pretty big difference in camber and toe. Dialed toe back into factory specs and don't have a camber kit but it was only like -.85 so I ain't worried. P.S. after these springs settle do you all think I need it realigned? I can get it done for free from my friend. Didn't pay for this one.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Didn't say it wouldn't change your settings, said it wouldn't affect the ride. Seen plenty of alignment machines. An inch isn't going to make an "insane" amount of difference.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:23 PM
rxse7n

No, you actually said "alignment hasn't been affected at all" which is not true. Just letting you know that it will change it if you start wondering why you are going through tires every 10k miles.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:47 PM
TSPeed Factory

even the difference of an inch will affect it that much? before the alignment, my was dumped and i probably raised it 1"- 1.5" just so my oil pan will clear the rack. the guy was being a dick about it too so i'm kind of afraid to take it back there and having him bitch at me some more. sears also has a 6 month/6000 mile warranty where i can basically take it back and they'll adjust it again for free. i'm happy with the drop it has now after the alignment, but i don't want to have to raise it back up even high just so the car will clear the rack.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rxse7n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, you actually said "alignment hasn't been affected at all" which is not true. Just letting you know that it will change it if you start wondering why you are going through tires every 10k miles.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Sorry yes, I did word it like that, even though I was talking about my own alignment based on the heights I have been between, so I guess if you want to take it out of context and use it agaisnt me, you can. And on the note of wearing out tires...

This is my front passenger side, notice the camber, this is due to I believe the the knuckle being bent, since when I installed them is when this happened, the other side is perfect...

Here are two pics showing hte difference in inside and outside wear...

outside

inside

As you can see, they are very close. My camber is way out of wack, but the toe is dead on. This is after thousands of autobahn miles. Other components in your suspension play parts in wear and adjustments more than ride height too a point, like the conditions of your bushings. You can't even get a shop to align your car here if your bushings are going out.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:36 AM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: (92b16vx)

thanks for the pics. the camber is not really what i'm worried about. i'm just afraid the toe will get all thrown out of wack again and eat up my tires every 2 weeks.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rxse7n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Please tell me how you can drop and raise your car without changing the alignment? Lowering a car changes the toe, as would raising it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Id like to know the same thing.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AzntaggeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzntaggeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the pics. the camber is not really what i'm worried about. i'm just afraid the toe will get all thrown out of wack again and eat up my tires every 2 weeks.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ok, I'll explain exactly what I meant when I said it wouldn't be affected, since I was refering to you in the first place before having my statement over extended into suspension theory.

Ok, your car was lowered all ready right? Say it was lowered 3.5", and the tech moved it up to 2.5", and then you drop it back to 3.5", how much it is going to be affected is relative to the drop you do. It's like say if your car is stock ride height, and you drop it 1", it isn't going to warrant a realignment because it isn't changing it far enough out of spec. So, you car was 3.5, we'll call that a 1" drop. The tech, moved it back up to 0" the stock height, aligned it, so since your car was aligned at a hypothetical 0" drop, droppin it to the hypothical 1" drop isn't going to throw it into chaos. That's what I was trying to explain to you, that the drop is relative to the amount of drop versus the alginment height.

If you're really that worried about it, drop it, and take some 2x4's with you back to the shop and have them do what you paid for, which is align your car at the height you want it, not what the tech had time to do.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:03 PM

^^^^^^word up^^^^^^
Old 04-30-2004, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nahledge 7)

I'm going to be getting my car aligned soon and I hope I don't have to go through all that bs.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

take off your bumper before u go to the alignment place..
should be easier to get it up on the rack..

****** dont go raising your car just so it can get aligned if your just going to drop it back down,
thats ridiculous.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

An inch can make an insane amount of difference. You've obviously never had sex.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow you just kicked that guys ***!
Old 05-01-2004, 03:21 AM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: (Tad)

i did take off my bumper and my oil pan couldn't clear the rack still. just to get an idea of how low my car was, just check my h-t garage in my sig. plus i got it aligned at the sears auto center so they probably have corporate rules to follow.