Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just finished installing coilovers and new control arms, weird camber on rear right, need help!! 92

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just finished installing coilovers and new control arms, weird camber on rear right, need help!! 92

Hello HT members, I've just finished installing some Tein SS coilovers on my 92 si hatch and I've noticed a big camber problem on the rear right. I changed my LCA to new gsr LCA's, and used new bolts in the process. I know the previous owner had gotten into an accident on the rear right side, because that quarter panel was bondo'd up, as well i noticed a SMALL camber problem on the rear right.

During the coils install, I was having major problems lining the new LCA up to the disc brakes (the damper forks were not yet bolted on). It seems like the UP/DOWN direction lined up well, but the side to side didn't. We managed after 20 minutes to wiggle/hammer it in.

Once the install was done, the first thing i noticed was that every wheel except the rear right looked fine. There was some serious camber issues on that one wheel.
Went for a test drive and i hear this clunking/metal scraping metal sound every time the suspension moves and its louder when i turn left.

Please keep in mind that the car has 400xxx KM on it (very very old) and that i believe the rear control arm peices (or anything else) have never been changed. Suspension looks OEM, the bolts are OEM.

What I want to know is what could be causing the camber and the clunking/scratching noise. The noise only came up after the coils got installed. The car now has a 1 finger gap. I've searched and found alot of things about the trailing arm bushings, which might explain the clunking but I have no idea how to tell if anything is bent (and my last resort would be to go to honda and pay for a diagnostic). I enjoy doing the work myself and learning so I'm looking to try to fix it myself first.

Cliff notes: Mad camber problem on the rear right after coilover install. Car has been in a previous accident before on the rear right. Coilover install was tough because the rear right LCA (new) did not line up properly with the disc brakes assembly. Clunking/scratching noises after coil over install.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just finished installing coilovers and new control arms, weird camber on rear right, need help!!

need some help!
Old 02-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just finished installing coilovers and new control arms, weird camber on rear right, need help!!

Well something is definitly not straight under there. Go to a junk yard and replace all the suspension pieces (except for what you just replaced) back there. This should help your problem unless it's your frame thats messed up and not your suspension.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you compare the old LCA to the ones you replaced?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get a rear camber kit, or replace the whole rear assembaly, not expensive at all. Maybe upgrade to rear disc's if you don't have them. I upgraded, and the moron i bought my setup from, thought a single piece of cardboard wraped around them would protect my ****. well, needless to say, two wheel studs, a wheel bearing and my rear camber adjusted fully out, all is well now. I would just find a used one though, my car does handle fine with my camber, but i am out of adjustment now. When i buy some slicks, i might not be able to get enough camber in it.