Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just drove a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just drove a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid...

...and I've gotta admit, I really want one for commuting. The IMA is borderline creepy with the 5 speed, with how the motor shuts off when you take it out of gear, and immediately starts back up when you put it back into gear to start moving. The regenerative braking recharges the batteries while off the gas in gear, and it really helps boost the braking efficiency, as well. It's no rocketship by any means, but it's more than adequate for around town. The assist gives a nice little extra ooomph when needed, so that you can easily keep pace with traffic. The ride is very nice, and the build quality is excellent, from what I could see. (Could this be because the VIN number starts with a letter "J?"

Other nice features:
-Vacuum flourescent dash lighting and displays. Really cool looking.
-In Maryland (not sure about other states), the vehicle sales tax is waived.
-Federal tax break for buying one. ($2000)
-Long range thanks to the incredible mileage. There was one point where I saw around 80mpg on the mileage display, with steady state cruising.

Not sure how many of you have experienced the hybrid gas/electric cars, so I thought I would share.
Old 08-30-2002, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Just drove a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid... (Mike P.)

Nice...
tax break now that's incentive
Old 08-30-2002, 05:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Just drove a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid... (Mrfirefox)

Nice...
tax break now that's incentive
Old 08-30-2002, 05:20 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...Not sure how many of you have experienced the hybrid gas/electric cars...
Well, I've experienced being passed, like I was standing still, by Insights several times. One time it was on a 5-mile long, 7% uphill grade, out in the middle of nowhere. I'd finally had enough of this **** and decided to show him who the boss was - never even saw his taillights again...

Hybrids have evolved radically over the years. They're MUCH better than they used to be. But, I dunno. You gotta maintain a little self-respect. I don't think I could bring myself to ever buy one. Depends on how low you're willing to stoop IMHO...

What do they call women that will do anything for money???
Old 08-30-2002, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just drove a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid... (BlackDeuceCoupe)

my friend in his saturn wagon was going uphill and this hybrid passed him and he couldnt even keep up with it.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just drove a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid... (blufke)

Huh?
am I dreaming? so The Hybrid/Insight are fast? how come?
I thought they're just Guinea Pigs for the Future..
but tax break is cool..
still... I want to go 0-60 in 6 seconds though....
Old 08-30-2002, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah..I got friends who work at the Honda dealership...and he called me up there when the first one came in so he could show me the guages!!! I WANT EM!!!
Old 08-30-2002, 06:33 PM
HT White Ops

...The Hybrid/Insight are fast? How come?...
Yes, fast! I've witnessed this personally several times on the highway, and it wasn't the same car every time either.

I think it's mostly because they're so friggin' light. Those things only weigh 1,800 lbs. Plus, besides the electric motor, they also have a 1.0-liter 3-cylinder VTEC engine under the hood. With both the motor and engine providing power, the Insight's maximum horsepower is 73 at 5700 rpm and torque is 91 lb-ft at 2000.

Honda used its experience in building the aluminum-bodied Acura NSX to help produce the aluminum frame and body of the Insight. <u>Body weight</u> is reduced by nearly 50 percent from a Honda CiViC hatch, while torsional and bending rigidity is comparable.

What can I tell you? They're lightweight and have two motors...

It's a deadly combo on the highway. I don't suggest racing one uphill unless you wanna get your *** kicked
Old 08-30-2002, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But, I dunno. You gotta maintain a little self-respect. I don't think I could bring myself to ever buy one. Depends on how low you're willing to stoop IMHO...
I dunno either...I feel secure enough that I don't think owning one for an everyday car would necessarily be stooping low. It looks like any other Civic sedan.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily call it fast, either. It scoots around just fine, but the power isn't overwhelming. It *IS* adequate, however, and I'd be fine with that while getting over 50mpg on the highway. The Insight uses a 1.0 liter, while the Civic Hybrid sedan has a 1.3 liter.

They built a nice daily car with this one.

PS-I found it interesting while poking around under the hood that it uses 0W-20 motor oil.
Old 08-31-2002, 09:55 PM
HT White Ops

The Hybrid/Insight are fast? how come?

Sorry in advance for the copy 'n' paste, but I ran across this on some geeko university web site tonight. This may provide an explanation of why Insights are so friggin' fast on the highway...

<u>Going with the flow</u>

Meet George Jetson. Well, meet his car. That impression is the first one you have when seeing Honda's hybrid gasoline/electric_powered Insight (Figure A). The vehicle looks like cars of the future from the 1950s were supposed to look: sleek but not fast. Such an impression is due mainly to the rear fender skirts that make the car look clean (and are aerodynamically efficient) but add to a certain bulkiness of line.

<FONT COLOR="red">But all the nuances of shape on the Insight add up to probably the lowest wind resistance ever on a production car</FONT>: a drag coefficient (CD) of 0.25. Today, most industry standards rate as "slick" any car with a CD of less than 0.30. For comparison, the Honda Civic Hatchback, with about the same 1.9m2 frontal area as the Insight, has a CD of 0.36, which <FONT COLOR="red">Honda engineers say translates into 32% more horsepower to run at highway speeds</FONT>.

How did Honda designers manage to cut drag so much? First, they chose a basic teardrop shape because it naturally causes the least disturbance to the airflow going around it. The car cross section tapers from front to back, such that the rear wheels are 4.3 in. closer together than the front. And the rear fender skirts enclose the rear wheels themselves to smooth airflow. Because even smooth airflow over a teardrop shape eventually separates into turbulent flow, the body's line has an abrupt cutoff, or "Kamm back," where the flow can break cleanly and predictably from the body. In contrast, rounded bodies can have the flow separation point move fore and aft, depending on conditions, causing handling changes and also possibly generating lift and reducing rear_wheel grip: Witness the Audi TT Coupe accidents at high speeds on German autobahns before their engineers outfitted them with rear_deck spoilers.

Up front, Insight's low, rounded front end generates minimal turbulence__with a side benefit of an improved front view for the driver. As air moves over the hood, the hood's trailing edge and cowl send air over the windshield wipers, lowering drag_and_flow separation, and up the highly raked windshield.

But there is more to aerodynamics than meets the eye. The underside of the Insight is flat to smooth airflow and reduce drag. Fairings around those areas that need to remain open, such as the exhaust and fuel tank, direct the airflow for least impact. The designers then sloped the rear of the car bottom upward at a 5 angle to smoothly feed air from underneath into the low_pressure region behind the car.

Finally, to further cut turbulence, the Insight has small air dams in front of the front wheels, and the rear of the front_wheel openings are inset and have fairings, as well. Moving rearward, the lower sills along the sides extend downward, functioning as an air dam to limit airflow going underneath the car, which would reduce road_hugging low pressure.

<FONT COLOR="red">At least with the Insight, form follows function resulting in overall operating efficiency.</FONT>

Old 09-01-2002, 12:11 PM

That is one cool picture, great story too. Honda is really the king in the evolving world!!!!
Old 09-01-2002, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...that's pretty impressive for a daily driver type
Old 09-01-2002, 04:56 PM

[/QUOTE]

I bet those wheels are really lightweight
Old 09-01-2002, 05:17 PM

PS-I found it interesting while poking around under the hood that it uses 0W-20 motor oil.
i was checking these out at the dealer -- he said it (the oil) was like baby oil!

i hybrids.

i just wish i had the 20G's to rock one!