Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

just did a valve adjustment...(B series)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just did a valve adjustment...(B series)

well i just finished doing a valve adjustment on my B18C'd civic and i still hear clicking, but now i can't remember if its the same or if it louder or quieter. how loud do the injectors usually click? is there anyway of telling i adjusted everything correct?

i'm tryin to save money around christmas and tried to do this by myself using cspeeds writeup(which is a very good one) but now how can i double check?

Old 12-22-2005, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: just did a valve adjustment...(B series) (untitledsn41)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by untitledsn41 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i just finished doing a valve adjustment on my B18C'd civic and i still hear clicking, but now i can't remember if its the same or if it louder or quieter. how loud do the injectors usually click? is there anyway of telling i adjusted everything correct?

i'm tryin to save money around christmas and tried to do this by myself using cspeeds writeup(which is a very good one) but now how can i double check?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The injectors are fairly loud, but not too bad. You can stick a screwdriver on them and put your ear to the end of the screwdriver to hear if you wish. I use this cheap method of making a mechanics stethescope to pinpoint noises all the time. Its actaully quite accurate. You can also put the screw driver over the exhaust ports and intake ports and find noisy valves as well. Remember, its going to make SOME noise, thats just how it is. A certain amount of clicking is acceptable. Did you do the valve adjustment with the head temperature below 100 degrees?
Old 12-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just did a valve adjustment...(B series) (untitledsn41)

on b series you will have some clicking, almost all b's have clicking from what ive heard
Old 12-22-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Re: just did a valve adjustment...(B series) (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The injectors are fairly loud, but not too bad. You can stick a screwdriver on them and put your ear to the end of the screwdriver to hear if you wish. I use this cheap method of making a mechanics stethescope to pinpoint noises all the time. Its actaully quite accurate. You can also put the screw driver over the exhaust ports and intake ports and find noisy valves as well. Remember, its going to make SOME noise, thats just how it is. A certain amount of clicking is acceptable. Did you do the valve adjustment with the head temperature below 100 degrees?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i drove my car for about 10 minutes when it was like 40 degrees outside and when i got back home the needle on the temp gauge was barely over that bottom line. i then let it sit for about 5 hours so i'm sure it was under 100degrees,

i think it's good i'll compare with some buddies at school and see how theirs sounds i guess.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by postman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on b series you will have some clicking, almost all b's have clicking from what ive heard</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i've heard that too but have never known how much clicking their should be

thanks for the input
Old 12-22-2005, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: just did a valve adjustment...(B series) (postman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by postman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on b series you will have some clicking, almost all b's have clicking from what ive heard</TD></TR></TABLE>
not if you are running stock cams. it should sound pretty quiet. way i usually do mine is tighten it until the srew stops (do it lightly), and then back it out a 1/4 turn.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: just did a valve adjustment...(B series) (fmrprojects)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not if you are running stock cams. it should sound pretty quiet. way i usually do mine is tighten it until the srew stops (do it lightly), and then back it out a 1/4 turn.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i did but i still get clicking

i'm just worried i f'd something up. i triple checked it thuogh
Old 12-22-2005, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: just did a valve adjustment...(B series) (fmrprojects)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
not if you are running stock cams. it should sound pretty quiet. way i usually do mine is tighten it until the srew stops (do it lightly), and then back it out a 1/4 turn.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't use feeler gauges? This is a pretty dangerous way to adjust valves if you ask me.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Re: just did a valve adjustment...(B series) (Hybrid93Eg)

ha i used the feeler gauges. idk about him.

but i tightened it til the feeler gauge was stuck then slowly loosend the screwdriver while moving back and forward the feeler gauge.