Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

just did timing how to do distributor

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just did timing how to do distributor

I JUST REPLACED MY HEAD GASKET AFTER IT BLEW AND THE WATER PUMP WHEN MY HEAD OVER HEATED. EVERYTHING IS TOGETHER NOW AND THE CAR STARTS. BUT IT IS NOT ON THE RIGHT DISTRIBUTOR TIMING. HOW TO DO IT PLEASE. AND ALSO CAR SLOOOOOOWWWWLLLLLY KEEPS ON RAISING ON TEMPURATURE. CAN IT BE THE THERMOSTAT NEEDED TO BE REPLACED? CAN IT BE THE FAN NOT STARTING? PLEASE HELP. I HAVE A 94 CIVIC HATCHBACK DX WITH D15 NON VTEC
Old 08-08-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Re: just did timing how to do distributor (rollercosta123)

ummm, please tell me you got the head checked for warpage before putting it back on the motor? usually the block doesnt warp unless its EXTREMELY hott...

You could have a warped head and no matter how many times you replace the head gasket... its going to just blow agian.. check your oil for coolant (it will be thick and army green color) also, if your car blows white smoke, its coolant being burnt in the motor, and its a blown gasket... you also might have fried the thermostat... so you better try replacing the easiest **** first

distributor timing isnt THAT much off unless you have the whole thing rotated like 180 deg. it will ping if its off, so just move it back and forth till it doesnt ping

good luck
Old 08-08-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: just did timing how to do distributor (rollercosta123)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rollercosta123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I JUST REPLACED MY HEAD GASKET AFTER IT BLEW AND THE WATER PUMP WHEN MY HEAD OVER HEATED. EVERYTHING IS TOGETHER NOW AND THE CAR STARTS. BUT IT IS NOT ON THE RIGHT DISTRIBUTOR TIMING. HOW TO DO IT PLEASE. AND ALSO CAR SLOOOOOOWWWWLLLLLY KEEPS ON RAISING ON TEMPURATURE. CAN IT BE THE THERMOSTAT NEEDED TO BE REPLACED? CAN IT BE THE FAN NOT STARTING? PLEASE HELP. I HAVE A 94 CIVIC HATCHBACK DX WITH D15 NON VTEC</TD></TR></TABLE>

First things first TAKE YOUR CAPS LOCK OFF.

When you say its not "ON THE RIGHT DISTRIBUTOR TIMING" what are you trying to say? You need to time the motor or is the timing belt a tooth or two off? These are two very seperate problems.

Yes the thermostat might need to be replaced pull it out and test it.

Is the fan coming on? If not then thats another problem. Time to check the relays and fan wiring.

If your timing belt is off a tooth or two simply set cyl. #1 at TDC check your marks on the side of the cam gear and correct if needed. Doing a 5 minute search should yeild a DIY write up that I dont feel like looking for at this moment.

If the car was ran really hot the cylinder walls could have "glazed" from the heat did you check that? Not that it would effect temp (I think) but you might be blowing a little more smoke.

Good Luck, hang in there this is all pretty easy stuff.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: just did timing how to do distributor (RangerDan)

i am gonna check and replace the thermostat tomorrow and i put in a different head from a different spare motor i had at home. so theres no warpage. i talked to a mechanic at my job at a honda dillership and he told me to make sure there is no air in the cooling system and to check the fan.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:32 PM

You live in florida so just break the thermostat so that it stays open that's what I did and it's running fine. no worries.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Re: (Strikerrr)

What is it doing when it is running i just replaced a timing belt and it would start and it would run idleing but when i gave it gas it would sputer and it was off 2 teeth.
Then my Dist. quit working. just stick with it man its a Honda not that hard to work on