Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just did a front brake conversion and now i got a question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just did a front brake conversion and now i got a question

Well i just put 99-00 Si front brakes on my 97 Hatch, spindles, forks, LCAs, and upper arms and now the car sits about an inch higher. The question is anyone experience the same thing? Is this common when doin a front brake conversion? whats the cause of this? Thanks
Old 07-02-2004, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Just did a front brake conversion and now i got a question (JDMar)

Are the shocks seated all of the way in the forks? I know that there is a little play there and sometimes they can be tightened and not seated all of the way. I doubt it will make a 1" difference though.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Just did a front brake conversion and now i got a question (_BEN_)

yea i double checked everything and made sure the struts were properly seated
Old 07-02-2004, 05:25 PM

So you didn't mess with the shocks or springs at all?
Old 07-02-2004, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Just did a front brake conversion and now i got a question (_BEN_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by _BEN_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you didn't mess with the shocks or springs at all? </TD></TR></TABLE>

nope just took them out to install the parts and threw them back in
Old 07-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

strange...
Old 07-02-2004, 08:58 PM

Did you put your lcas in upside down? I've seen it happen before double check that they're in there right...
Old 07-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Laosfu)

did you drive the car around yet??? the springs need to settle when you take em out..... just like after jacking your car up
Old 07-02-2004, 09:14 PM

Default Re: (photec2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedlinedVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you put your lcas in upside down? I've seen it happen before double check that they're in there right...</TD></TR></TABLE>

nope installed those correctly and double checked

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by photec2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you drive the car around yet??? the springs need to settle when you take em out..... just like after jacking your car up</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea drove it around the block a few times, took some hard turns and jounced the car a few times to make sure it settled.

im guessin it probably has somethin to do wit the forks, does anyone know if they are longer than dx forks?
Old 07-02-2004, 10:28 PM

Lemme go double check in my helms manual tomorrow, but the Si and non-Si have different front control arms altogether. Also, yea, the Si has stiffer springs, but the engine weighs like um, well, at least 50lbs, but i think less than 100lbs more for a B, so the lack of weight in the front may affect it. I think also the hub may have different dimensions. Again, remind me to check my helms manual.
NOTE: If these springs were new, my friend had a A4 and he got springs, took about a week for em to sit in, although that make it sink an extra quarter of an inch, not a full inch.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Just did a front brake conversion and now i got a question (Civic96LX)

Thanks dude, but i didnt install new springs, i have apexi ws coilovers, about a year old jus kept them when i did the swap

well i decided to jus even out the ride height but im still curious as to what may have caused the problem
Old 07-04-2004, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you installed the SI Sway Bar, do not tighten the endlinks before the car is on the ground. You will in fact pre load them which will make them want to push downwards on the LCA's. Tighten the endlinks with your car on the ground. It will provide the proper swaybar settings. Let me know if this works!!!
Old 07-04-2004, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Just did a front brake conversion and now i got a question (bsprelude)

thanks for the heads up, but i didnt install the swaybar yet, im waiting till i get my cat so i can install both at the same time, good advice though ill keep that in mind
Old 07-04-2004, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you compaare any of the new parts to the old parts you took off? any diffrences? did one of your buddies play with your coilovers while you were doing the swap and maybe he accidently moved the perches up?..that is strange
Old 07-04-2004, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Just did a front brake conversion and now i got a question (Grip)

nope didnt compare the parts, i shouldve. now the old parts are gone still have the old forks though so im gonna see if they are shorter. No and nobody messed wit the perches it was jus me workin on my car.

i drove all over the place today and ran over some train tracks pretty hard, there was nothin i could do, i heard a loud clunk sound and now the left front is tucking a bit. im takin everything apart tomorrow and checkin it out
Old 07-04-2004, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Just did a front brake conversion and now i got a question (bsprelude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bsprelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you installed the SI Sway Bar, do not tighten the endlinks before the car is on the ground. You will in fact pre load them which will make them want to push downwards on the LCA's. Tighten the endlinks with your car on the ground. It will provide the proper swaybar settings. Let me know if this works!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you sure? I cannot get under my car when its on the ground. I have no way of reaching the nut to tighten it.