Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just bought a Mutt Civic (EK hatch) . . What goes where???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a Mutt Civic (EK hatch) . . What goes where???

Hello Folks!
Long story short = I have owned 1 car similar and I loved it and sought out another. I have just purchased this car and its . . gonna need some work.

The Car and parts =
1998 Honda Civic EK Hatch
B16A2 Motor and Tranny out of a 99 Civic Si.
ECU is p06 (Laid eyes on it myself) with base Map . . although the seller told me it was a p72 . . . so i dont know how much to believe from seller on most of what was told. (may just be lack of knowledge and not Deceit)
There is an OBD2 -> OBD1 Jumper in the car . . . Not sure why one would go to the older style with a motor that clearly had OBD2 and a Car that had OBD2 as well.
Aftermarket intake + Cold Air Inlet
Aftermarket header and Type "R" exhaust with only 1 Oxygen Sensor connected (other Port has no O2 sensor to connect to it as their is no other "Bung" in exhaust system)
New Battery
Was told all new-er Distributor components (Will be disassembling to Confirm)
Problems =
During steady throttle, the car acts as though there is no throttle for a few seconds . . followed by a jump of throttle as though it was never depressed (not surging). This happens when i have a steady foot on the accelerator. if i notice this happening i can press the throttle a little more and the whole "Action" goes away. This happens VERY frequently on a lengthy drive.
Idle is not where it should be ( i know this is common and i have done some reading on here already, although i dont think any of the standard Problems or Fixes may apply because of the amalgamation of other parts and issues)
Warm/Hot Start is VERY troublesome
Car Randomly Dies . . . Happened once after 20 minutes of driving and another time after 2 minutes of driving. One time was during a straight drive and another was in the middle of a turn .. go figure.
Need Guidance =
No Check Engine Light flashing (Did the Jumper Test, with jumper in light stayed on steady. And when car is started it just turns off after a couple seconds)
Do i need another ECU for this car?
Whats up with the "Hot Engine = No Start"

Thanks for any and all help!
I am dumb when it comes to Hondas so please dont assume i know what im talking about . . . or know what the heck is happening. HA HA HA!!! But i do looooove to learn.
Also I am mechanically inclined (have been working on cars for 10+ years in my own garage and have pulled and replaced engines and such.)
Old 01-25-2019, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just bought a Mutt Civic (EK hatch) . . What goes where???

Originally Posted by greanie
Hello Folks!
Long story short = I have owned 1 car similar and I loved it and sought out another. I have just purchased this car and its . . gonna need some work.

The Car and parts =
1998 Honda Civic EK Hatch
B16A2 Motor and Tranny out of a 99 Civic Si.
ECU is p06 (Laid eyes on it myself) with base Map . . although the seller told me it was a p72 . . . so i dont know how much to believe from seller on most of what was told. (may just be lack of knowledge and not Deceit)
Could be a chipped and VTEC'd P06 running P72 map
There is an OBD2 -> OBD1 Jumper in the car . . . Not sure why one would go to the older style with a motor that clearly had OBD2 and a Car that had OBD2 as well.
98 is OBD2a, there are few plug and play ecu options, so most people convert to OBD1 for cheap and easy to find engine management
Aftermarket intake + Cold Air Inlet
Aftermarket header and Type "R" exhaust with only 1 Oxygen Sensor connected (other Port has no O2 sensor to connect to it as their is no other "Bung" in exhaust system)
Probably only running 1 because OBD1 only utilizes 1.
New Battery
Was told all new-er Distributor components (Will be disassembling to Confirm)
Problems =
During steady throttle, the car acts as though there is no throttle for a few seconds . . followed by a jump of throttle as though it was never depressed (not surging). This happens when i have a steady foot on the accelerator. if i notice this happening i can press the throttle a little more and the whole "Action" goes away. This happens VERY frequently on a lengthy drive.
Idle is not where it should be ( i know this is common and i have done some reading on here already, although i dont think any of the standard Problems or Fixes may apply because of the amalgamation of other parts and issues)
Warm/Hot Start is VERY troublesome
Car Randomly Dies . . . Happened once after 20 minutes of driving and another time after 2 minutes of driving. One time was during a straight drive and another was in the middle of a turn .. go figure.
Need Guidance =
No Check Engine Light flashing (Did the Jumper Test, with jumper in light stayed on steady. And when car is started it just turns off after a couple seconds)
Do i need another ECU for this car?
If the P06 is not chipped, yes.
Whats up with the "Hot Engine = No Start"

Thanks for any and all help!
I am dumb when it comes to Hondas so please dont assume i know what im talking about . . . or know what the heck is happening. HA HA HA!!! But i do looooove to learn.
Also I am mechanically inclined (have been working on cars for 10+ years in my own garage and have pulled and replaced engines and such.)
I would just go through everything. Set timing, make sure the throttle body hasn't been messed with, check for vacuum leaks, make sure your throttle cable has the correct tension, check IACV for proper operation... you have a lot of searching and reading ahead of you.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you "saywhat" !

I will have a look through and see whats going on here . . . ill post an engine pic soon as well. Im sure there is something im missing to mention.
Also just found out it Wont pass Inspection right now . . (Texas requires OBD2 to pass inspection with no CEL, and the machine was not able to Read the ECU).

What is a good "Plug and Play" option for the ECU?
Im not looking for it to be SUPER custom. Just a few little mods here and there i am fine with . .. but the way it sits right now, i cant even drive or go anywhere in it (on my temp tags). It ran fine during test drive . .. and it wasnt throwing any "Codes" and CEL was fine . . .but once i have hit it with the Fine-Tooth Comb . . .Not looking so good now.

Thanks again for the help. keep the info coming.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

More Info:

So i found from the Original Builder/Owner . . . he has also installed a Walbro 450 (Im told this is way overkill and i should go back to stock)

The Walbro 450 was installed with the intent of throwing a Turbo on, although there is no Pressure Gauge or Regulator.
Also i believe the Non-Stock Distributor is causing the lack of starting after being warm "Issue" and also the Lack of Power towards the upper RPM range. (And maybe the Surge of loss of power when cruising with a steady throttle applied.)

Also . . . still need to track down why my CEL seems to work fine, but the Inspection station is not readying properly. Strange!
Old 01-25-2019, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by greanie
Also . . . still need to track down why my CEL seems to work fine, but the Inspection station is not readying properly. Strange!
Your diagnostic port used for emissions compliance does not work if you have an OBD1 ECU on a jumper. You will need to find an OBD2a DOHC Vtec ECU to legitimately pass/show sensor readiness etc.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks again "saywhat" . . . im sure your right.

Did some looking and found that i may need to switch ECU and all that. Darnit!

Starting to wonder if this thing is worth what im gonna have into it. LOL! i better start "Loving" it soon. LOL!
Old 01-25-2019, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

You bought someone else's problem child. It is really much better to buy a car in stock condition then modify it yourself if you want to. Try putting as much back stock as you can, then once that works you can go from there.

Yes you need an OBDII ECU to make the car legal. In places with even moderately strict emissions rules, it is not allowed to put on parts that are from generations before the car's model year.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
You bought someone else's problem child. It is really much better to buy a car in stock condition then modify it yourself if you want to. Try putting as much back stock as you can, then once that works you can go from there.

Yes you need an OBDII ECU to make the car legal. In places with even moderately strict emissions rules, it is not allowed to put on parts that are from generations before the car's model year.
Yeah your probably right . . . I had one previously and had some desire to own another. So it wasnt a completely smart decision.
I have found a Local Honda-Import mechanic that will be helping on this . . . so all is not lost.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Car got picked up to go off to an "expert" on these swaps .. . he will do some diagnosis and educate me and will decide where we go.