Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just bought a 97 Ex Coupe

Old 07-01-2007, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 97 Ex Coupe

(and the engine blew) lol. Well... I just bought this 97 Ex for $3800 about 3 weeks ago. About 1 week ago I was hearing this odd sounds coming from the engine. I'd figured it was the rod (which indeed it was) I live in Ft.Lauderdale, I was driving it to the dealership in Miami and every 15-20 minutes or so I had to pull over to cool down the engine (it was heating up as well) well... about 6 miles away from the dealership the engine blew. The crankshafts are gone, head, etc. When I pulled over for the last time the front of my car was covered in a white cloud. I quickly ran out and got back as far as possible away from the car. (I thought it was going to blow up on me lol) It was leaking oil like crazy.... it looked like melted clay... I've never seen something like that.

Well... I'm in need of a new engine. I had a stock D16y8, and I'm in the market for something other than a D series engine. I was thinking going with a B16 but I don't know which to choose. I'm converting my car to an 99 Si exterior/interior. I basically want my car to converted to an Si.

I have installed JDM Coilovers so far. (thats about it so far)

I would like to hear your opinions on my project and any advice would be great as well. This is my first car btw. I have been driving since 14 (19 now)

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Just bought a 97 Ex Coupe (Cpt.GargameL)

ok well for starters i don't mean to burst your bubble but when you said the crankshaft(s) were gone.. there is only one of them so IT is gone. And as for your "JDM" coilovers.. let me guess you prolly got them off ebay and it said they were JDM in the auction.. well they prolly couldnt be farther from it. JDM is Japanese Domestic Market and they more than likely did not make the coilovers on your car.. prolly made for a very cheap price somewhere in California haha. but nevertheless if your looking for a swap go to hmotorsonline.com . there are a few other sites but i asked around here and ppl said they would use no other site except hmotors. i have delt with one other and got horrible customer service. good luck
Old 07-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do some research on motors and pick the best one that fits you.....the Hp Tq etc etc etc.....
Old 07-01-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Just bought a 97 Ex Coupe (jonathan13)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jonathan13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok well for starters i don't mean to burst your bubble but when you said the crankshaft(s) were gone.. there is only one of them so IT is gone. And as for your "JDM" coilovers.. let me guess you prolly got them off ebay and it said they were JDM in the auction.. well they prolly couldnt be farther from it. JDM is Japanese Domestic Market and they more than likely did not make the coilovers on your car.. prolly made for a very cheap price somewhere in California haha. but nevertheless if your looking for a swap go to hmotorsonline.com . there are a few other sites but i asked around here and ppl said they would use no other site except hmotors. i have delt with one other and got horrible customer service. good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

I added the "s" to crankshaft as I did for Sound lol. My mistake. But in any case. I bought my coilovers from a warehouse that receives JDM parts. A friend of mine gets the hookups with JDM parts from it. I don't shop at Ebay btw.

Thanks for your help so far.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:42 AM

A have a few questions.

Is nay B16 compatible with my 97 Ex no matter the year of the engine? (because when I was at the dealership, one of the mechanics stated that the engine has to be the same year or so)

After I do most of the engine work I want to run on boost. How many pounds do you recommend to laugh at these SRT-4's? lol (they sound like a boat)

Here is what I want to do for my car so far:

B16 swap.
Skunk 2 4-2-1 headers
Skunk 2 Intake Manifold
Skunk 2 Exhaust
Greedy ECU
LSD Tranny
MSD Injection

Any recommendations?
Old 07-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to guess about the ebay shopping lol. if you are gonna use a jdm b16a out of a 92-95 car its obd1 so you will need a jumper harness and use the obd1 ecu or you will throw all kinds of codes. if you use a usdm b16a2 out of an american 99-00 si you will also need a jumper harness to go from obd2a to obd2b. that is what the guy meant about the years needing to be the same. as long as you match the year ecu with the year motor you will be fine.. by that i mean any of them 92-95 are swappable.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:53 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jonathan13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry to guess about the ebay shopping lol. if you are gonna use a jdm b16a out of a 92-95 car its obd1 so you will need a jumper harness and use the obd1 ecu or you will throw all kinds of codes. if you use a usdm b16a2 out of an american 99-00 si you will also need a jumper harness to go from obd2a to obd2b. that is what the guy meant about the years needing to be the same. as long as you match the year ecu with the year motor you will be fine.. by that i mean any of them 92-95 are swappable.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ohh ok so thats it huh? Matching the ECU with the engine year? Wow.. that mechanic was making seem a big deal lol. No problem then. Do you recommend the JDM or USDM ? (and which is easier to find)
Old 07-01-2007, 11:58 AM
95DxSi-R2

https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch
search noob tard
Old 07-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id recomend jdm because it has a few more horses than usdm and less sensors to plug up since its obd1. use the harness off of your d16 and put it on the b16 and use the jumper harness and plug in your obd1 p30 (b16 ecu) and you should be good to go
Old 07-01-2007, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Just bought a 97 Ex Coupe (95DxSi-R2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch
search noob tard </TD></TR></TABLE>

Here comes the attacks do to my post count.

Instead of wasting your time in telling me what to do, why not give me suggestions on what I can do? (for my car)
Old 07-01-2007, 12:07 PM

I reccomend not getting a b16, because its the same thing as the d16y8 you had, except more aggressive vtec crossover.

Do a HELLA lot more research before getting a decent swap. Search, and you will learn quickly.

If your looking to boost, bet a b18b1, or get another d16y8, and boost it, why?

d16y8 is cheap, so you can spend more on a turbo.

B18B is cheap, so you can spend more on a turbo, and b18b's kinda like boost

or get the b16, be broke, slower than my d16, untill you can afford to boost it, possibly blow that one, and rack up enough debt to have purchased a new 06 SI from replacing all the parts.

You need to read up a little more, then you will be a pro
Old 07-01-2007, 12:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jonathan13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">id recomend jdm because it has a few more horses than usdm and less sensors to plug up since its obd1. use the harness off of your d16 and put it on the b16 and use the jumper harness and plug in your obd1 p30 (b16 ecu) and you should be good to go</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would be carefull with this JDM madness, how do you know exactly what kind of milleage your getting with these engines?

Just hit up your local junk yard, im sure they will have an engine with a warranty, seriously get another D16 and boost it, you will not regret that move one bit.

Because 1.6 vs 1.6 = wtf? Just get a cheap d16y8 for like $300, drop the $1700 on a sick *** turbo setup, along with suspension
Old 07-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MidwestCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidwestCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I reccomend not getting a b16, because its the same thing as the d16y8 you had, except more aggressive vtec crossover.

Do a HELLA lot more research before getting a decent swap. Search, and you will learn quickly.

If your looking to boost, bet a b18b1, or get another d16y8, and boost it, why?

d16y8 is cheap, so you can spend more on a turbo.

B18B is cheap, so you can spend more on a turbo, and b18b's kinda like boost

or get the b16, be broke, slower than my d16, untill you can afford to boost it, possibly blow that one, and rack up enough debt to have purchased a new 06 SI from replacing all the parts.

You need to read up a little more, then you will be a pro</TD></TR></TABLE>

i believe a b16 is just a little bit more than a d16 with a more agressive vtec crossover... it believe it or not has another camshaft which tends to help a little.. but i agree with everything else.. you should do some research and just see what suits you best depending on what you are building it for.. "daily driving" "full blown track car" or a nice mixture of something in the middle.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:16 PM

ive had both, the b16 has an oil cooler, yay. Both drive the exact same on anything below vtec levels. The extra cam does not too much on this 1.6. Again, once the boost hits, the amount of cams you have doesnt matter.

Not only is the D16y8 lighter, its easier to tune. That extra cam can be a bitch sometimes. For a NA id swap in a GSR for added torque, turbo just grab a d16y8 and tune away
Old 07-01-2007, 12:22 PM

It's Cpt. lol. I can't post on my other account for the day, anyhow. Janathan do you have AIM or MSN? If so my AIM is Cpt GargameL and my MSN is Cpt.GargameL@hotmail.com

Midwest, I do believe what you say is right. Though is that a non-vtech D16 or Vtech you would recommend to boost?
Old 07-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well im just going with his choice of a b16 because that is what he said he was thinking about and never mentioned he wanted to go with anything too drastic but i do agree with everything you are saying considering im either about to pick up a built and boosted gsr eg or buy an ej1 and swap in a gsr from hmotors.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:24 PM

hey if you have the cash, why not. Im just sayin a cheap, easy route, which would be EASIEST because he already had a d16y8, he could just swap in the engine block, keep the tranny bla bla bla. Then use the spare d16y8 parts from the old block as backups
Old 07-01-2007, 01:53 PM
95DxSi-R2

Default Re: Just bought a 97 Ex Coupe (95DxSi-R2)

dude theres so much ****** info on this site, i'm not going to spoon feed you. this is the same question that so many other people post.
did u even search yet? what does post count have to do with anything, if u would research u wouldn't have to answer this question, just buy the engine and everything else will be plug n play
Old 07-01-2007, 02:54 PM

either way, ive seen d15's push big numbers with a decent build.

Id say since this is your 1st turbo build, go with the cheapest bolt in engine and go from there.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:08 PM

I'm going with this:

D15B SOHC VTEC Longblock

Price: $ 499.00 Plus shipping and handling.
Availability: In Stock

- Motor
- Intake Manifold
- Exhaust Manifold
- Injectors
- Fuel Rail
- Throttle body
- Alternator
- Distributor
- P08 ECU (Add $125)

SOURCE: http://www.hmotorsonline.com/s...30021

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude theres so much ****** info on this site, i'm not going to spoon feed you. this is the same question that so many other people post.
did u even search yet? what does post count have to do with anything, if u would research u wouldn't have to answer this question, just buy the engine and everything else will be plug n play</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is no need to "Spoon" feed me. All the info and help I was seeking has already been provided by other individuals willing to help me. Thats it, not need to keep bashing me for not searching. (it's like live chat tech support vs automated system tech support... I choose to go with the live chat if you get what I'm saying thats all there is to it) Repira yo...
Old 07-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to add my 2 pennies the d16 is bs when it comes down to any bseries....I blew my d16 and I was in the market for a b series...I wasnt lookin for a b16 I was goin to do the ls/vtec for boost instead of the b20/vtec (not the best to boost) but I found a totaled 00 SI for dirt cheap and just settled wit the b16 when all realness its not that bad....until about 3-4grand it does feel like the d16 but after that theres no comparison....and vtec kicks dumb hard and pulls even more.....so the people that talk about b16s never had on or have moved up to the b18.....for the ecu u are goin to have to get the 96 GSR ecu and also if u keep AC u have to get a bracket from the del sol.....but its a pretty easy swap...I dont plan on keeping my bottomend Im goin to swap wit the JDM GSR for the Tq but keep the head and use my JDM tranny w/lsd that i got as my back up but will go in as soon as i get the bottomend.....also u will have the upper hand on a lot more cars then b4 u can beat SIs hands down 1 b/c ur a little lighter 2 if u do the GSR ecu more power and u get up to at least 160 SIs stop at 140....but like i said wit my 1st post in here do research.....

Y would u put less power in ur car wit a d15 when stock u have a d16......
Old 07-01-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: (BlkCivicFromTeamMNR.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlkCivicFromTeamMNR.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to add my 2 pennies the d16 is bs when it comes down to any bseries....I blew my d16 and I was in the market for a b series...I wasnt lookin for a b16 I was goin to do the ls/vtec for boost instead of the b20/vtec (not the best to boost) but I found a totaled 00 SI for dirt cheap and just settled wit the b16 when all realness its not that bad....until about 3-4grand it does feel like the d16 but after that theres no comparison....and vtec kicks dumb hard and pulls even more.....so the people that talk about b16s never had on or have moved up to the b18.....for the ecu u are goin to have to get the 96 GSR ecu and also if u keep AC u have to get a bracket from the del sol.....but its a pretty easy swap...I dont plan on keeping my bottomend Im goin to swap wit the JDM GSR for the Tq but keep the head and use my JDM tranny w/lsd that i got as my back up but will go in as soon as i get the bottomend.....also u will have the upper hand on a lot more cars then b4 u can beat SIs hands down 1 b/c ur a little lighter 2 if u do the GSR ecu more power and u get up to at least 160 SIs stop at 140....but like i said wit my 1st post in here do research.....

Y would u put less power in ur car wit a d15 when stock u have a d16......</TD></TR></TABLE>

I need a complete new engine. The d15b Vtech is slightly better than the D16y8. (and a bit less expensive) Unless you can find me a d16y8 Vtech near the same price range I'll go with it.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Cpt.G)

do the JDM d15b like i told you. it has 130hp.. 3 more than the d16y8.. make sure its the one that i showed you on hmotors though because there are usdm d15b's that have a number after the b such as d15b8 which only has 70 hp lol
Old 07-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wish I could help you but I cant i got my 2nd d16y8 for 400..but my team has a engine dealer and the mechanic knew some people also...but good luck..... if u ever need a tranny in the near future for it let me know check my sig...
Old 07-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hatch96y7)

Dont worry I got scammed too , but mine was for a b16! I had it for about 8 days before it started to show symptoms of a blow head. Just got to move on and make it stronger than it was before. I now got a b16 with 34k miles on it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just bought a 97 Ex Coupe