Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just Bought a 96 civic ex, got

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Bought a 96 civic ex, got a few issues

I just got a 96 Civic Ex with 128,000 miles. the car runs good for the most part. one thing that i noticed is that it seems like i have no top end. If it take off i get a pull, but from like 4500-7000 it seems like it takes 5 secs or so for the RPMs to get up to red-line then when it shifts it starts to pull again. I didn't do a tune up yet, i think that might be part of it, but didn't know if anyone had any ideas. How would i know if my vtech is working? My friend went into the army and lent me his civic before and it seemed like it was a lot faster and it was only year earlier with an exhaust and intake on it, will they make that big of a difference ?

Also i seem to be leaking antifreeze out of somewhere around the belts, any ideas on that ?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Shawn
Old 04-21-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Just Bought a 96 civic ex, got a few issues (spmcool)

Try checking your phone line to make sure your vtech is working correctly. If you hear a dial tone then its working.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Just Bought a 96 civic ex, got a few issues (mp5o)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mp5o &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try checking your phone line to make sure your vtech is working correctly. If you hear a dial tone then its working. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Smartass comments like that are against the rules.

The reason your car feels like it has no top-end is because it is SOHC (SINGLE over head cam) Emphasis on the single, with single cam honda's, only the intake lobs are changed when VTEC (VTEC, not vtech, vetech, or what not. so you know) engauges. I'm willing to bet your friend had a DOHC (DUAL over head cam) in his civic. In those both the intake and exhaust lobs change when VTEC engauges, giving that very noticable power gain.

Oh and putting an intake and or exhaust on YOUR car won't give you any real noticable gains either. Your best bet in adding significant power would be a turbo or supercharger. But in the mean time, save your money, search this forum, and learn about your car.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spmcool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">?Also i seem to be leaking antifreeze out of somewhere around the belts, any ideas on that ?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Shawn</TD></TR></TABLE>

water pump possibly probably needs a new timing belt also if it wasnt changed at 100,000.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Just Bought a 96 civic ex, got a few issues (SOHC4life 96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Smartass comments like that are against the rules.

The reason your car feels like it has no top-end is because it is SOHC (SINGLE over head cam) Emphasis on the single, with single cam honda's, only the intake lobs are changed when VTEC (VTEC, not vtech, vetech, or what not. so you know) engauges. I'm willing to bet your friend had a DOHC (DUAL over head cam) in his civic. In those both the intake and exhaust lobs change when VTEC engauges, giving that very noticable power gain. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? I didn't know that.... Well, now when 90% of HT makes smartass comments... I'll tell them you said it was against the rules. Thanks!

Back on topic.... Yea.... Its a SOHC(Single over head cam) and its slow. Turbo charge it and call it a day.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mp5o &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Turbo charge it and call it a day. </TD></TR></TABLE>
i wish it was that easy.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Just Bought a 96 civic ex, got a few issues (e jay one)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i wish it was that easy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If I/you/anybody had the money it would be... But for now, I'm still rockin the mini me. Who knows... This guy might be rich
Old 04-21-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Just Bought a 96 civic ex, got a few issues (SOHC4life 96)

Got ya. im not sure if it was SOHC or DOHC, i just know it was a 95 ex with apexi N1 exhaust and short ram intake.

It just seemed like his was a lot faster. hopefully when i do the tune up it will help it out.

thanks for you help