Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just bought a 93 Del Sol with seized engine - Swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 93 Del Sol with seized engine - Swap questions

Ok so I just bought myself and my mom a 93 del sol. 1 each. She passed up buying one after divorcing my dad when I was 9 cause I wanted to know where my best friend would ride. So she bought a 95 civic ex instead. Anyways, she's always wanted one and so I decided to buy one for her for Mother's Day. She loved it by the way, in case you were wondering. Anyways, the guy I bought hers from was an *** and didn't tell me that the engine was seized. So now I have to find a new engine for it. And since I have to replace it I figure I might as well upgrade. But I'm not sure what to put in for her. Now mind you she's not going to be drag racing on the streets, but my mom does like to go fast. So I would like some input on what engine to get, where to get one cheap (like I said, it doesn't need to be a tuner, just some good stock power.) and what all I will need to get to do a full swap out. Oh and the car is an automatic and I was curious how hard it would be to make it a manual? This will be my first engine swap. All positive input is welcome, thanks in advance people.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default re: Just bought a 93 Del Sol with seized engine - Swap questions

Browse links on making cars go faster in the FAQs sticky.

What engine does the car have in it now? Has it been modified or bone stock?
Old 05-14-2016, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just bought a 93 Del Sol

Originally Posted by RonJ
Browse links on making cars go faster in the FAQs sticky.

What engine does the car have in it now? Has it been modified or bone stock?
It's got a D16Z6 in it right now. Which I'm pretty sure is Vtec. And it's bone stock, nothing modified.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just bought a 93 Del Sol with seized engine - Swap questions

Describe the problem symptoms of the current engine.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tried starting the engine, all I get is one loud click from the starter. Put the car in neutral and tried hand cranking with a 17mm and it won't budge. Actually twisted a 1/2 extension trying to get it to crank.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not good. What did the seller say about the engine?
Old 05-14-2016, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nothing, never mentioned it. But when I bought it, the battery was half dead and didn't have enough juice to crank the starter. I didn't have any jumper cables with me so I couldn't try jumping it. Only gave $300 for it and it only has 150,000 miles with one owner so I didn't worry to much about it.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:13 PM
Sol to Sol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the fam, thanks for your service too!

Wow! thats really locked up! MIGHT be able to get it loose, but a teardown is the best for it.

You can go with a B series engine, the VTEC model 94-95 came with them stock. But it takes special bracket, a different ECU, etc. (like Ron said, its in the FAQ sticky on the main page)

Or, you can get a cheap Z6 from a junkyard or local honda fans (Facebook has several local groups, etc)

you can also get a ZC from Japan importers, but its a lil more than just a straight Z6 swap

I'd at least take the head off and see whats up. Reverse torque sequence on head bolts, just in case it can be saved.

Worst comes to worst, you can drop it out the bottom. Remove the tires, lower it all the way down on a creeper, undo the mounts, raise the car as high as you can, then slide it out the drivers wheelwell.

Good luck!
Old 05-14-2016, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm thinking I'd like to skip trying to save the engine for right now, and just replace it. Figure I'll keep the z6 for either parts for mine since it's the exact same or just put it on a mount and teach my 8 year old son about engines with it.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sourcing parts for the manual swap would probably be a hassle, but you can use parts like pedals and hydraulic clutch lines from 92-95 civics and 94-01 integras.

me, id replace it with another d series and just cruise.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought about another D series engine, but like I said its her car and I figure I should only do right for my mom. Upon doing a little research on here and other places, I figure the best choice for a straight bolt in and good increase in power would be to go with a B16a2 or a3. Any feed back for which would be better out of the 2? And what cars, usdm, did they come in so I can try to find a parts car or something?
Old 05-14-2016, 10:01 PM
Sol to Sol

Those aren't straight drops ins. Like I said, you'd need a special bracket, and ECU, and a few other things.. (not that it cant be done, just not quite drop in, or plug and play)

A Z6 gets 30-35mpg (mine gets about 32, and dads auto got about 34) and is quick enough to get outta its own way. If its for your mom, I'd go with that.

They are also cheaper to get, and maintain.

Just my $0.02 tho, I'm sure others can chime in.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought because they were both Vtec that all I would really have to change was the ecu and the rest was plug and play. There's so much info out there it's hard to follow what's true and what's BS. So if I do a B16, can someone help me with what all I would need to buy and have ready when I got to drop it in. So far what I gather is, I'd need a new ecu, and a bracket of some sort. Is this for mounting the engine securely? I think I read some where that I can use my original harness. Is there anything else I'll need to get it running?
Old 05-15-2016, 06:56 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Try rotating the crank counter-clockwise by hand. use a torque wrench with the correct socket adapter on the crank. If it rotates effortlessly than your issue is not a seized engine.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've already tried that. Actually twisted a 1/2 extension trying to crank it.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:46 AM
yippee-ki-yay

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by USMarine DelSol
I thought about another D series engine, but like I said its her car and I figure I should only do right for my mom. Upon doing a little research on here and other places, I figure the best choice for a straight bolt in and good increase in power would be to go with a B16a2 or a3. Any feed back for which would be better out of the 2? And what cars, usdm, did they come in so I can try to find a parts car or something?
B16A3 because it's OBD 1 like your car(s) already. But it's not really worth the $2-3k that you're going to pay. Should have just bought a 94-97 Del Sol VTEC to start with.

Best bet would be a B18B1 from an Integra (94-95 to stay OBD 1, but OBD 2 isn't that much more difficult to do).

Compare the numbers, HP and torque, between the two along with price and you'll see that the non-vtec B18 will do a nice job at a third of the cost. In other words, you can buy and swap BOTH engines for less than the cost of one B16.

The other option is a B18C1. Better low end torque and high end HP than a B16 for about the same cost. Much easier to find as well.

If money is no factor, pick up a B18C5 with an LSD tranny. About $4,500k.

Those are the closest to "plug and play" you'll find. If you really want some work and to spend real money, go with a k-swap.

I'm not really familiar with the B20 family, but that is an option as well. High torque low(er) HP engines.

As for what cars these engines come out of;

(USDM)
B16A3 - 94-95 Del Sol VTEC
B16A2 - 96-97 Del Sol VTEC and 99-00 Civic Si
B18B1 - 94-01 Acura Integra (RS/LS/GS)
B18C1 - 94-01 Acura Integra GSR
B18C5 - 96-01 Acura Intgera Type R
B20xx - 97-?? Honda CR-V

(JDM)
B16A
B16B
B18C (both a GSR and Type R version).
B20x

eH.

Last edited by eHMxhACk; 05-15-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:22 AM
Sol to Sol

Like he said lol..

Also, a VTEC Sol model doesn't mean the Z6 VTEC (Si model) is the same. Not sure why they decided to name it like that, but thats how they did it (and someone slapped that sticker on my Si, making it more likely to get stolen lol)

For mom, I'd just get the Z6 and be done. Nice n quick, and good gas. Plus you have spares if you get a fully loaded longblock.

For yours, maybe save to build a B up like the ones above.

Good luck!
Old 05-15-2016, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well there's an idea. I could always take out my Z6 and put in hers. I already have a daily driver. And then save some money for a bigger and better swap. I was thinking to eventually drop in something like an H22 way down the line but I've heard that those swaps are really complicated. I got a guy that has a running H22 in a beat up she'll that he would sell me for like 400 but I'm kind of afraid of taking on such a complicated project
Old 05-15-2016, 11:39 AM
Sol to Sol

Well, for $400, even getting it out of the car would increase its worth lol..

But I've never done a model swap, just straight replacement, so I don't know what it would take. For sure keep the harness and ECU from it.

Hasport may even make conversion mounts like they do for the B, but no idea for sure.. Tho, anything can be fabricated to work if you really want to lol.. Heck, I've wanted to see someone do a Corvette ZR1 in a Sol, like they do to Miatas!

EDIT: Can you give her your car, and build the seized one? are they different colors or something? (so you don't have to do two swaps at least)
Old 05-15-2016, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Even better idea. They are both black 93's. So I guess it's just up to her if she wants to switch cars. And I never understood why engines can cost 3 times as much out of the car as they do inside a crappy trashed shell.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:04 PM
Sol to Sol

Cool! Both Si models too?

Likely if they are both Z6 engines. If not then I'd do a rear brake upgrade to disks for hers at least.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah both are Z6 engines and the numbers match so I'm guessing they are both Si.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:27 PM
Sol to Sol

S models came with drum brakes in back, so, that's a way to tell too, besides looking up the VIN of course lol.

Cool then! Change all the fluids, and check the pads n rotors, and she should be good to go! My dad's would have gone well over 300k on his Z6 if the exhaust manifold hadn't cracked and burned a valve out, so it should last her a while with a lil maintenance.

OH, and change the front door to door gasket if its the smooth type. Its a design flaw and it will leak like a sieve in the rain! Honda Automotive Parts #6.

If they look newish, and have a lil wing like flap at the top front corners of the doors then its been done already and don't need to worry about it.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well they both have disc brakes in the back. And I think the molding is the new stuff, but I can't tell really with out seeing what both look like 😐.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:38 PM
Sol to Sol

Yeah, the old kind has a lil flap, but the new is larger..

Mine was from a junk car, dads is new. They started using these in 95+, but never recalled the older ones, even tho they knew it was a design flaw.. heh.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 93 Del Sol with seized engine - Swap questions