Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just bought 1992 milano red hatchback si

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 02:29 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just bought 1992 milano red hatchback si

I just went and picked the car up today...
what do you guys think? i plan to put alot of money into it..but i also need advice!
what should be my first 5 minor and serious mods???
Heres a link:
http://www.angelfire.com/fl5/jimmyy/smallpicss.jpg
Old 04-05-2003, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Just bought 1992 milano red hatchback si (USDMDC2)

brakes and suspention are great on that car, i'd say the first thing you should do is a motor swap.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just bought 1992 milano red hatchback si (Btown_99Si)

brakes and suspention are great on that car, i'd say the first thing you should do is a motor swap.
I'd have to argue and say the first thing he should do is suspension work.

Actually I'd say get an alarm first(a good one too) for all the jackasses jacking stuff!
Old 04-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Just bought 1992 milano red hatchback si (lazy bum shaughn)

it would be the dumbest thing to swap right away, and why upgrade the brakes?? You have 4 wheel disc with plenty of stopping power. Maybe some new rotors and Green pads

If you're staying N/A, then get some bolt ons. But the first thing you should do is a GOOD suspension setup. Do it right the first time and leave it be.

Old 04-05-2003, 03:15 PM

Well if you enjoy cornering:
1. Tires
This is the only part of your car that actually touches the road. No matter how much power you make, it won't matter if you can't put it to the ground. I suggest Kumho 712's for everyday driving, good in dry and wet. Falken Azenis are better in dry, worse in wet.

2. Suspension
Adjustable shocks will do you good, set it soft for dates, stiff for track/spirited driving. I would suggest KYB AGX shocks so long as you don’t slam your car, which can lead to bumpsteer which is not good at all. Progressive rate springs like Eibach Pro-Kits will be good for everyday driving but as you push them harder they get stiffer and better for real cornering.

3. Rear sway bar
This helps enormously in cornering as it lets you oversteer, and adds chassis rigidity. EH3s get shafted because we have no rear sway stock, so I think there is a company that makes sway bars for cars with no LCAs, but if not you can swap over the Integra LCAs.

4. Brakes
Four wheel discs are very nice, so all you need are some nice pads. Ive heard good things about ebc green stuff. Remember, no matter how fast you go, if you can't slow down it doesn't do you any good.
Now for the power.

5. Intake
Your engine is a giant air pump. The more air you let it breathe and exhale, the more power you will make. CAIs (cold air intakes) are great. They allow nice cool air from the ground to enter your engine rather than the hot engine bay air, which will make more power, plus it has much less restriction. I would go with the AEM CAI, or if you're afraid of hydrolock (when the engine sucks in water, which is NOT compressible, instead of air, hence breakage of parts) , the Comptech Icebox works very well.

6. Header
A header lets your engine exhale the exhaust easier with more gentle bends and equal length runners. I haven't done much research, but a search or some other's opinions will help.

7. Exhaust
A nice 2.25 in. exhaust will keep the exhaust velocity up, which is good, and a nice muffler with help to improve airflow over the stock muffler which is quite restrictive and can give you a very nice exhaust note. Again, search around in the archives (if they ever go back up) or wait for someone else to answer.

These mods will give you nice power and let you corner nicely. You might want to keep money aside for repairs, because when stuff starts to break (which it will) then the cost of repair will outweigh your want for mods.

Hope this helps

Edit: Oops forgot the brakes on me

[Modified by Draco, 12:18 AM 4/6/2003]
Old 04-05-2003, 03:18 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: Just bought 1992 milano red hatchback si (Emerika)

it would be the dumbest thing to swap right away, and why upgrade the brakes?? You have 4 wheel disc with plenty of stopping power. Maybe some new rotors and Green pads

If you're staying N/A, then get some bolt ons. But the first thing you should do is a GOOD suspension setup. Do it right the first time and leave it be.
ok...this is my first ever car..iam only 14 (turning 15) i am working and making good money...all my money is going into this car. What suspension setup should i go with???? and which bolt on's?? I know iam getting an aem cai and an apexi N1,or worldsport...
Old 04-05-2003, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in order to figure out what suspension you should get, you need to think about what you want to do with the car.
Global Moderator

Heres what the car has on it right now...
Kumho 712 tires - with Ls rims
Neuspeed adjustable coilovers
GSR rear lower control arms
Alpine detacheable face CD player
Infinity Reference speakers
JDM ITR shift boot(red stitch)
Skunk 2 shift ****
OEM Honda floor mats

Default Re: Just bought 1992 milano red hatchback si (Draco)

Well if you enjoy cornering:
1. Tires
This is the only part of your car that actually touches the road. No matter how much power you make, it won't matter if you can't put it to the ground. I suggest Kumho 712's for everyday driving, good in dry and wet. Falken Azenis are better in dry, worse in wet.

2. Suspension
Adjustable shocks will do you good, set it soft for dates, stiff for track/spirited driving. I would suggest KYB AGX shocks so long as you don’t slam your car, which can lead to bumpsteer which is not good at all. Progressive rate springs like Eibach Pro-Kits will be good for everyday driving but as you push them harder they get stiffer and better for real cornering.

3. Rear sway bar
This helps enormously in cornering as it lets you oversteer, and adds chassis rigidity. EH3s get shafted because we have no rear sway stock, so I think there is a company that makes sway bars for cars with no LCAs, but if not you can swap over the Integra LCAs.

4. Brakes
Four wheel discs are very nice, so all you need are some nice pads. Ive heard good things about ebc green stuff. Remember, no matter how fast you go, if you can't slow down it doesn't do you any good.
Now for the power.

5. Intake
Your engine is a giant air pump. The more air you let it breathe and exhale, the more power you will make. CAIs (cold air intakes) are great. They allow nice cool air from the ground to enter your engine rather than the hot engine bay air, which will make more power, plus it has much less restriction. I would go with the AEM CAI, or if you're afraid of hydrolock (when the engine sucks in water, which is NOT compressible, instead of air, hence breakage of parts) , the Comptech Icebox works very well.

6. Header
A header lets your engine exhale the exhaust easier with more gentle bends and equal length runners. I haven't done much research, but a search or some other's opinions will help.

7. Exhaust
A nice 2.25 in. exhaust will keep the exhaust velocity up, which is good, and a nice muffler with help to improve airflow over the stock muffler which is quite restrictive and can give you a very nice exhaust note. Again, search around in the archives (if they ever go back up) or wait for someone else to answer.

These mods will give you nice power and let you corner nicely. You might want to keep money aside for repairs, because when stuff starts to break (which it will) then the cost of repair will outweigh your want for mods.

Hope this helps

Edit: Oops forgot the brakes on me

[Modified by Draco, 12:18 AM 4/6/2003]
Id also suggest an Alarm...That car looks pretty lowered already..is there anything done to it beside the rims??

I like it
Old 04-05-2003, 03:28 PM

Light 15 inch rims will also do wonders in terms of acceleration, due to less rotational mass, and will allow for a wider contact patch with the ground.
Old 04-05-2003, 04:40 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

first off...figure what kind of driving you will be doing, research the products you are interested in(not only on HT, but anywhere you can), and then see what fits into your budget.

Your car seems like it's a pretty good setup as is...

Are you keeping the original D16Z6???

IF the answer is 'yes', then first things first...

ALWAYS bring your car back to top mechanical shape before adding aftermarket bolt ons, etc, unless those parts are being replaced.

Example- don't replace your stock air filter if you're getting a CAI- duh

but, it would be wise to: flush coolant/water, replace timing belt, adjust valves, change tranny fluid, etc. I don;t care how much money you dump into bolt ons because if you're stock dist. rotor is garbage, it's not going to do much good!

Old 04-05-2003, 05:07 PM
Global Moderator

The engine is stock (D16Z6) i do not plan on keeping the stock motor.
The guy gave me the service records for the car/at 60,000 miles. the timing belt and water pump were changed.The mileage on the car right now is at 95,200 he got the oil changed in it yesterday (gave me receipt) I want this car to be nice.I want the stock engine to last for 2-3 years then when iam 17 i plan to do a type r swap.The swap done the right way will be expensive so in the mean time i am trying to get a. nice set of wheels b. upfgrading the stuff on the stock d16z6 c. cosmetic work.
what all should i do??? i want the best to be on it example what sprak plugs spark plug wires should i replace the dist and the dist cap etc etc....thanks for your alls advice fellow H-T members
Old 04-05-2003, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Green stuff
Old 04-05-2003, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Just bought 1992 milano red hatchback si (psychotic)

drop a B18C1 in that car dude!!