Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just bought an '05 Civic, had some questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought an '05 Civic, had some questions

Hey guys, Im new here and new to car tuning as well. I just bought an '05 Civic "VP" coupe. This is the lowest end model they offer(I was wanting to save some cash). I'm extremely satisfied with the car, however, there is one thing it definitely needs, a tachometer. I am debating whether just to buy an external tach and install it on the dash or I was thinking maybe I could swap out the instrument cluster from an HX/LX/EX that has a factory tach built in. My question about that is what kind of issues will I run into with the odometer on the new cluster that I install? I am assuming that the odometer is just a display and the actual mileage is stored on a chip or computer somewhere else in the car? Im not even sure if this particular model is wired for the aforementioned cluster. Im assuming the wiring is there, probably disconnected.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just bought an '05 Civic, had some questions (k3rnel)

If I were you, I'd consult with a dealer. Some mods might void the warranty, which would be pretty bad, especially when you have some three more years to go.
I'm sure they'd be O.K. with the external one, but as I said before, you should ask them firs.

My brother has a '02 protégé (I know it's not a Honda, but that's not the point), aside from the rims and some direct replacement parts (K&N filter element, iridium sparkplugs, etc. ) he didn't do anything until the warranty expired. You don't want to be stuck with a huge repair bill when you have a chance to avoid it.

Seems like the newer the Honda's, the worst the get.

'03 Odisey -- engine replaced at 18K miles
'00 Accord -- engine replaced at 30K miles
'97 civic -- transmission replaced at 50K miles
Old 02-04-2005, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just bought an '05 Civic, had some questions (k3rnel)

im gonna guess that it is an auto, in which case, a tach is not needed... only blingy... the only help it would do in an auto is if it was reving past the governor... Dont mod that until you have manual.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:47 AM

The true milage is kept in the ECU, but swapping the cluster for one with different milage will cause resale issues.
The lowest profile install I've seen is a 2.5 or 3" tach stuck in the corner of the cluster bezel out of the way of the other guages.
http://www.7thgencivic.com/for...+Tach
Old 02-04-2005, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boilermaker1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boilermaker1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The true milage is kept in the ECU, but swapping the cluster for one with different milage will cause resale issues.
The lowest profile install I've seen is a 2.5 or 3" tach stuck in the corner of the cluster bezel out of the way of the other guages.
http://www.7thgencivic.com/for...+Tach</TD></TR></TABLE>

anyone ever examine the 7th gen clusters? away way to swap odmeters? i know on EG (yea i kno they dont have digital odos) you can switch to a cluster with a tach, and keep your original speedo/odometer. personally, i hate how aftermarket tachs look
Old 02-04-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone ever examine the 7th gen clusters? away way to swap odmeters? i know on EG (yea i kno they dont have digital odos) you can switch to a cluster with a tach, and keep your original speedo/odometer. personally, i hate how aftermarket tachs look</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've seen people change the color of the LCD but the actual number is stored somewhere within the cluster's circuit boards. I suppose if you were really good and you could single out the component that stored the LCD memory, then you could.... but I'm not good enough with electronics to even know how to start.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:52 PM

Well I have been researching this for over a week now with not many results :/ Here is what I think I can do:

Purchase a gauge cluster from a 2001+ Civic EX (or any with a tach)
Swap out the speedometer from my current cluster to my new one to keep my mileage

Not sure if I just want to take the plunge and try it, Im not even sure if there is wiring behind the dash for the tach or if the existing temp/fuel and speedometer plugs will work with the new cluster. I would much rather have a factory tach instead of cluttering my dash with an add-on. If anyone has acces to a shop manual and can reference this for me I would be forever greatful!!!!

EDIT: I think I just found something that indicates the gauge cluster is all one piece, so in essence the speedometer/odometer is not removable, can someone confirm this?

Modified by k3rnel at 3:53 AM 2/9/2005
Old 02-09-2005, 07:10 AM

You need to change the whole thing, and you need to get a cluster from an 03+ not an 01+. Honda changed the cluster and the wiring harness for it in 03.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:24 AM

In order to not void your warranty, you will need to get an EX (or any other model with tach) cluster directly from Honda Co. and have them install it. That will not void the warranty

and F.Y.I (My mom worked for Honda for seven years and now works as a finance and warranty manager at vw, subaru, and suzuki)
Old 02-09-2005, 08:26 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (Dasani)

All VP's are automatic.

You don't need a tach...what, you want to know when the engine is going to shift for you? Don't waste your time/money.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All VP's are automatic.

You don't need a tach...what, you want to know when the engine is going to shift for you? Don't waste your time/money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is incorrect. I have a VP and it's a 5 speed.