Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

just an alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 just an alignment question

can a toe misalignment cause your car to shutter?
Old 12-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just an alignment question

anyone plz?
Old 12-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a lot of things can make your car shake. wheel alignment, bad wheel bearing, wheels that aren't balanced properly, etc.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i thought it was just my wheels, they were showing the belts, and i had them replaced.
i looked at pics of toe wear and my tires do that in about a month lol. but that CAN make it do it?
Old 12-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im trying to mull over getting my toe set... and wondering if it will mostly stop the shutter because i can tell its bad bad bad wear.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 AM
RESIDENT

Just get an alignment. Thats the easiest way to narrow down what it is. If it was the alignment then after you get the car back you should notice a big difference. If not then it could be out of balance wheel/tire, bad tie rods, bad wheel bearings, ball joints, control arm bushings..
Old 12-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well they wont do camber because its lowered about 3 1/2 inches and i dont own camber kits. so just get the toe done and see if it helps then? i mean my tires dont look like the camber wear is bad. the inside is just completely gone within like 3 months and it looks like extreme toe wear...
Old 12-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

?
Old 12-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your suspension to make sure bushings are in decent shape and then get an alignment. Completely blown bushings will keep the car from holding an alignment...
Old 12-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

noob question. how and where. i know behind the wheels and i know to take the tires off and jack it up lol (not in that order) but how will i know if they are bad and where exactly are they?... and how much to replace them? lol
Old 12-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Take the wheels off and look for any point where the suspension moves. Now, stick a crowbar in there and see if it moves freely.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any clue on pricing to replace it myself? and a good write up anywhere on it?
Old 12-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude if your sheit is lowered 4 inches and you haven't adjusted camber to fix it back to normal - no wonder your tires are wearing on the inside edge. the most weight is on the inside edge - causing the inner edge to wear prematurely. Unless I'm mistaken...

get some camber kits and get an alignment...
Old 12-16-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dragsparks
well they wont do camber because its lowered about 3 1/2 inches and i dont own camber kits. so just get the toe done and see if it helps then? i mean my tires dont look like the camber wear is bad. the inside is just completely gone within like 3 months and it looks like extreme toe wear...
toe wear is more feathering wear, but the inside edge is camber most likely
Old 12-16-2009, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Corksil
dude if your sheit is lowered 4 inches and you haven't adjusted camber to fix it back to normal - no wonder your tires are wearing on the inside edge. the most weight is on the inside edge - causing the inner edge to wear prematurely. Unless I'm mistaken...

get some camber kits and get an alignment...
QFT
Old 12-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well for the rear i can tell you a cheap and easy way to fix that. on the upper control arm "when you pull off the tire you will see it "(its a bar with 2 bolts they are 14mm) get you the same tread and size just longer preferably grade 8 or 7 and then get washers and space out the wheel until the wheel looks good when on the ground. (put the washers on the body not on the bolts if you can understand what i am saying). as for the front get a set of camber kits for the front from eBay if u arnt worried bout name you can get some desent ones for like 40 to 50 bucks ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...Q5fAccessories ) there is a link to a stor that i have used and they work but they are a no name ya know
Old 12-16-2009, 09:47 PM

Correct me if I am wrong,

Driving on the inner edge of your tire is probably putting a ridiculous amount of stress on the wheel bearing.

Either that, or your tires are out of balance, or your inner, or outer tie rods are shot, or outer or lower ball joints have shat the bed. or tires have uneven wear. etc, etc.

Start with those checks. G/L
Old 12-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well ya thats a possibility but i have droped plenty of cars and never adj. them and that happens " damn cheap *** fools " but with the car being a 96 or 97 the tie rods should still be good but that would only effect the steering granted if the camber is that far out it would be ridiculous now as far as the tires that is a sure sine of camber the toe will just make it pull or they will look like they are tuned in depending on how it is although if the car has bad tires it will to but like i have said before he needs to get the camber fixed first and go from there cause if something else is wrong wont know cause the angle wasn't corrected
Old 12-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

camber DOES NOT eat tires. toe eats tires. theres a guy lowered 4" and no camber kit, his tires wear evenly.

you tires aren't solid, they flex and move. contact patch is the same with some negative camber vs 0 camber

just get your toe zerod out
Old 12-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow... i was pullin towards toe anyways because my car shutters and pulls to the left.... hard... and it rocks when you speed up from a stop.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by sde780
camber DOES NOT eat tires. toe eats tires. theres a guy lowered 4" and no camber kit, his tires wear evenly.

you tires aren't solid, they flex and move. contact patch is the same with some negative camber vs 0 camber

just get your toe zerod out
oh goodness not again, had this convo like 3 times in the past day
Old 12-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and my brother told me i might need new tie rods soon... and that was about a year ago, when i replaced my front axles...
Old 12-17-2009, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Matt55
oh goodness not again, had this convo like 3 times in the past day
lol.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:49 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Originally Posted by Dragsparks
can a toe misalignment cause your car to shutter?
YES YES YES.

If you're seeing toe wear on your tires that quickly, then that is the first thing you need to look at with your shuddering problem.

There are other things that cause shuddering, but I can guarantee that if you're seeing significant toe wear in a few weeks, that's causing shuddering. Definitely.

At the point that you're seeing tire wear, an alignment may not fix your shuddering, because the tires now have cups worn into them. An alignment will keep them from getting worse, but you'll still have some vibration from the cupping.

Now, to throw my hat back into the camber ring:
Wear around the inside of the tires DOES NOT NECESSARILY INDICATE CAMBER WEAR. Toe can also cause wearing on the inside, and is far more damaging to tires.

Camber (negative or positive) will cause a bit of premature wear on tires. How much? I've been running 2 degrees negative camber for a year now (-2.5 degrees rear), and about 15-20K miles, and I'm just barely starting to see a little bit of camber wear. By the time the camber wear gets bad enough to replace the tires, they're going to be due for replacement anyway. Again: 20,000 miles, and almost no camber wear.

You would think the way most people talk about camber on h-t, that myself, running -2.5 degrees camber, would have gone through 4 sets of tires already in 20K miles.

The positive handling characteristics caused by running a bit of negative camber on a lowered car FAR OUTWEIGH a tiny bit of tire wear, at least for me. You all can do what you want, but I'll stand by my statements that camber doesn't kill tires, but toe does; and toe+camber kills them double quick,
Old 12-17-2009, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i cant disagree with the last post. he has a point but, depending on if the car has bigger wheels, different tires and things like that it will also have a factor but like they said its you car and we just put our two since in not being mean but do what you think its your car and money if you fix both u should "SHOULD" be ok