Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

just adjusted hydro clutch, not sure if i did it correctly

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 02:22 PM
dotmichael to you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just adjusted hydro clutch, not sure if i did it correctly

my clutch was engaging right at the top of the pedal. it was extremely annoying starting from a stop, shifting to second and sometimes third.

my remedy was to give it some gas during shifts so that the car wouldnt jump and shake. this was no good as it was wearing my near new clutch.

so i searched the archives and found out how to adjust the rod going into the master cylinder. i adjusted it and took it for a quick drive. its fantastic. the pedal only moves a five inches or so now and it engages right when you left it off from the bottom.

two questions now that i've done this. is it okay that it engages so far down? i dont want to mess anything up. it shifts great now and there's no more jumping when i do it, clutch in gas off, shift...clutch in. great. no more riding the clutch.

secondly, the button that the clutch sits on and depresses when not being depressed is no longer being pushed down since i adjusted the clutch pedal forward. it does not affect anything, but i was under the impression i wouldnt be able to drive it like this. i can...should i bring the clutch out a bit to push that button in?

if you need pics, i can get them.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Youll be fine the way you did it. Thats the only way to adjust the pedal without aftermarket parts.

You could adjust the switch so its touching the pedal. Unplug the sensor and rotate the switch.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:52 PM
dotmichael to you

Default Re: (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You could adjust the switch so its touching the pedal. Unplug the sensor and rotate the switch. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i noticed a couple people talking about rotating the switch. what do mean?

is it necessary to do? i'd rather leave it be.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just adjusted hydro clutch, not sure if i did it correctly (. M i c h a e l)

If there is not a slight bit of free play (about a 1/2 inch of travel) in the pedal, It will slightly wear out the clutch. It does this because the clutch is slightly engaged(not enough for you to notice or for the clutch to slip). If there is a bit of play in the pedal, then you are ok. As for the button; If it does not keep your car from starting, you should be good.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:20 PM
dotmichael to you

Default Re: just adjusted hydro clutch, not sure if i did it correctly (B20 EJ6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20 EJ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If there is not a slight bit of free play (about a 1/2 inch of travel) in the pedal, It will slightly wear out the clutch. It does this because the clutch is slightly engaged(not enough for you to notice or for the clutch to slip). If there is a bit of play in the pedal, then you are ok.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont get what you mean. The pedal is extremely loose at the top..so much that the spring doesnt push it all the way back up sometimes. Right as the pedal comes off the ground does it start to engage. Do I want play at the bottom or at the top? I'm assuming the bottom so its not being engaged

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20 EJ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> As for the button; If it does not keep your car from starting, you should be good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

kay good.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:36 PM
dotmichael to you

Default Re: just adjusted hydro clutch, not sure if i did it correctly (. M i c h a e l)

okay i just checked. i put it in first and reverse and slowly let out the clutch...it engages approx a ½ inch to an inch off the floor.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The button is for the cruise control. It turns off cruise when you push the clutch in.
Dickweed.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:09 PM
dotmichael to you

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Djaric &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The button is for the cruise control. It turns off cruise when you push the clutch in.
Dickweed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

oh. okay

I checked out where my friends clutch engages on his srt-4 and it feels about the same place.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah you want your pedal adjusted so its putting pressure on that cruise control switch. If your car has cruise control make sure its working. Otherwise your clutch isn't releasing/engaging all the way. A good test is to try and "chirp" second gear. Thats how I knew my clutch wasn't set right when it wouldn't do that. Good luck!
Old 05-29-2006, 06:42 PM
dotmichael to you

Default Re: (ianae86)

i'll try adjusting it so it is able to activate cruise control. chriping second...i'm sure it can do that still
Old 05-29-2006, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a plan man I know mine felt okay until I would try to "get on it" and then I'd notice the slippage. I had probably 1/3 " between my pedal and the cruise control switch. Just set it back to stock specs. Nothing else will ever work right for the car.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:34 PM
dotmichael to you

got on it through 1st and second and felt no slipping, chirped second no problem.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (. M i c h a e l)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by . M i c h a e l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">got on it through 1st and second and felt no slipping, chirped second no problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you have to have to re-adjust it or anything? Or was this before you set it anymore? Cruise working?
Old 05-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by . M i c h a e l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my clutch was engaging right at the top of the pedal. it was extremely annoying starting from a stop, shifting to second and sometimes third.

my remedy was to give it some gas during shifts so that the car wouldnt jump and shake. this was no good as it was wearing my near new clutch.

so i searched the archives and found out how to adjust the rod going into the master cylinder. i adjusted it and took it for a quick drive. its fantastic. the pedal only moves a five inches or so now and it engages right when you left it off from the bottom.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
What were the keywords you used for the search, or if you have the link handy that would be awesome too. My clutch engages almost 4inches off the floor, making it really hard to shift quickly.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:00 PM
dotmichael to you

Default Re: (SovXietday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ianae86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Did you have to have to re-adjust it or anything? Or was this before you set it anymore? Cruise working?</TD></TR></TABLE>

This was as of this morning. I've only adjusted it once and thats when I made the thread. I forgot the check cruise control, but if what Djaric said is true, then it probably will not engage since the button isnt depressed.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What were the keywords you used for the search, or if you have the link handy that would be awesome too. My clutch engages almost 4inches off the floor, making it really hard to shift quickly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i searched clutch adjustment. my clutch was engaging really high and its a relatively new clutch (way under 10,000 miles on it) so i knew it wasnt it going out on me.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (. M i c h a e l)

My clutch has engaged high since I put it in a little over a month ago. I tend to ride the clutch a lot, so this may just be an easy change. Thanks man.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All the brand new cars I've ever driven have had clutches that engage high. They are set where they are for a reason. By adjusting your pedal height your are essentially disengaging your clutch ever so slightly and constantly wearing it down. I just don't reccommend it. Sorry
Old 05-30-2006, 07:18 PM
dotmichael to you

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ianae86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All the brand new cars I've ever driven have had clutches that engage high. They are set where they are for a reason. By adjusting your pedal height your are essentially disengaging your clutch ever so slightly and constantly wearing it down. I just don't reccommend it. Sorry</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i just tested out my friends srt-4 clutch yesterday, his car is five months old and like i said it engaged right near the bottom.

plenty of other people have had no problems with the clutch being engaged.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm. Well you seem to have it figured out. I'd just feel bad if I didn't at least contribute my two cents, y'know. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks i think i founld my problem
Old 05-31-2006, 02:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

word????

I had no idea u could adjust the clutch pedal, wanna tell me how to adjust that rod? well can it be done w/ my car? (EJ1)? I'd like to put it towards the top so I only have to put the clutch like 2 inches down when I shift
Old 05-31-2006, 02:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: just adjusted hydro clutch, not sure if i did it correctly (B20 EJ6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20 EJ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If there is not a slight bit of free play (about a 1/2 inch of travel) in the pedal, It will slightly wear out the clutch. It does this because the clutch is slightly engaged(not enough for you to notice or for the clutch to slip). If there is a bit of play in the pedal, then you are ok. As for the button; If it does not keep your car from starting, you should be good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you talking about the clutch safety switch...??? Mine went bad and car wouldnt start, I had to use a jumper wire to plug in there "similiar to wire used when checking CEL" to get my car to start, but its been like 3 months now an I've had no problems using a jumper.. It's just more fun now cuz I can bullshit some people into thinking I have an automatic because when u use a jumper wire its constant power going through there, so all u have to do is turn the key u dont have to press in the clutch anymore...