Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

junkyard questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default junkyard questions

ok i was looking at picking up an exhaust at the junkyard but i heard its no good cause they cut of the cat. so..in that case and with that in mind...is a junkyard good for ANYTHING? for trying to get used preformance parts? for less expensive then brand new?
Old 04-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: junkyard questions

well performance part at a junkyard probly aren't gonna be that good. But they are great for used oem parts. The reason they can't sell you the cat is because it is illegal to sell used cats the and fine is ridiculous.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cats also have a high scrap value. I'd hope they would sell one if yours fell off and needed one for emissions... <cough cough>
Old 04-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

junkyard + ebay = no good for performance parts
Old 04-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

they are good for some parts, but performace parts rarley.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

junkyards around here are pretty useless. I havent really gotten much of anything all the times i went.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

junkyard is good because most of the stuff i original all a junkyard really is mis. lil parts... don t know about the cat
Old 04-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Theirs a junkyard with nothing but Hondas over here and I've came across a few Hondatas and turbos and a few goodies in good shape.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my dad owns a honda bone yard.. and we rarely ever get anything of value performance part wise... but i always get first dibs on the dohc motors, rear disc swaps, dashes, leather interior, aftermarket wheels, etc.

need parts anyone lol
Old 04-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Junk yards can be good for OE parts as mentioned. But performance, well probably not... I will say that I just bought another EJ 3 days ago (been out of the game for a few years thanks to constantly deploying to Iraq with the Marine Corps) and I picked up a rear disc conversion for HELLA CHEAP!!! I paid $75 for both rear trailing arms, with lower & upper control arms, with brake rotors & calipers and e-brake cables. ****in steal if you ask me!!! After new rear pads, having one scarred rotor turned & some misc brake hardware I got a rear disc swap for my EJ for just over $100!!! At another You-Pull-Apart lot I picked up a 1" ITR brake master cylinder and brake booster for $35. But now I'm having issued finding a new 8MM compression fitting at local parts stores for the right side of the master cylinder. (OE EJ chassis has all 6MM fittings)

Another nice aspect of my $100 rear disc conversion, the 93 EJ doesn't have rear sway bars but the 95 teg I pulled the **** from does so I'm all ready for rear sway bar.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive picked up a apexi ws2 exhaust(muffler) at a junk yard.
charged me $12
Old 04-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jackal6042
Junk yards can be good for OE parts as mentioned. But performance, well probably not... I will say that I just bought another EJ 3 days ago (been out of the game for a few years thanks to constantly deploying to Iraq with the Marine Corps) and I picked up a rear disc conversion for HELLA CHEAP!!! I paid $75 for both rear trailing arms, with lower & upper control arms, with brake rotors & calipers and e-brake cables. ****in steal if you ask me!!! After new rear pads, having one scarred rotor turned & some misc brake hardware I got a rear disc swap for my EJ for just over $100!!! At another You-Pull-Apart lot I picked up a 1" ITR brake master cylinder and brake booster for $35. But now I'm having issued finding a new 8MM compression fitting at local parts stores for the right side of the master cylinder. (OE EJ chassis has all 6MM fittings)

Another nice aspect of my $100 rear disc conversion, the 93 EJ doesn't have rear sway bars but the 95 teg I pulled the **** from does so I'm all ready for rear sway bar.
umm u got a steal on that swap. i sell swaps all the parts above for 150$..

a guy is picking up a swap this weekend for 75$ minus the calipers and rotors
Old 04-20-2009, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Unseen Racer
ive picked up a apexi ws2 exhaust(muffler) at a junk yard.
charged me $12
ROFL

best **** i got from a junk yard was my damn clutch pedal and the master cyl.

in the junk yeards here they dont even put any civics from above 95 into the junkyard until they are stripped. The have them behind a fence and they seem to take them apart themselves.

Last edited by Jimster480; 04-20-2009 at 06:28 AM. Reason: junkyards sux
Old 04-20-2009, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimster480
ROFL

best **** i got from a junk yard was my damn clutch pedal and the master cyl.

in the junk yeards here they dont even put any civics from above 95 into the junkyard until they are stripped. The have them behind a fence and they seem to take them apart themselves.
haha. i was just walking and i saw something shinny so i went to it and there it was. no dents and only minimal scratches.
cut it off and sold it for $230. lol. made a nice little profit.
and in the junk yard by my house i have ONLY seen i ek. it was a white hatch but it was COMPLETELY stripped.
but my friend told me that his friend went to a junk yard 2 days ago and say an EP with the k20 still in it!!!!!
he asked how much and they told him $200!!!!!
so im going there today to pick it up
Old 04-20-2009, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there are some parts that are always going to perform thier performance at 100%. I've seen strut/sway bars, turbo timers, fancy seats, big brakes etc.. some parts are a gamble or at least they were when I used to go when I was younger and not lazy. finding a computer is always good too. junk yards can still be fun but even educated junk yard owners will gouge you on a computer. dont ever act excited about finding a part either. act like there's 5 or 6 of them laying around and they are lucky you're pulling that piece to get it off thier hands.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha. i was just walking and i saw something shinny so i went to it and there it was. no dents and only minimal scratches.
and in the junk yard by my house i have ONLY seen i ek. it was a white hatch but it was COMPLETELY stripped.
but my friend told me that his friend went to a junk yard 2 days ago and say an EP with the k20 still in it!!!!!
that k20 is bad though. but for 200. resell it lol. in the junkyards here they like dont even put cars inside that are from 97+ until they are stripped.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i guess there is a big demand in louisville,ky i can name off at least 10 junkyards off the top of my head with in a 20 mile radius. but there are different levels i guess like myine which we use to repair wrecked hondas and then you have the ones who strip everthing and wont buy anything under 01+ at insurance auctions.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a 40/40 prop valve free, 91 integra trailing arms with rusty calipers and rotors for like $30, a whole stearing column for like $15.

We have two junkyards in the area. U Pull A Part, which is run by asshats who gouge on everything. And there's Bridgeway, which is pretty fair and actually has imports in one area, Fords in another, Mopar in yet another section...
Old 04-21-2009, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by carvers
my dad owns a honda bone yard.. and we rarely ever get anything of value performance part wise... but i always get first dibs on the dohc motors, rear disc swaps, dashes, leather interior, aftermarket wheels, etc.

need parts anyone lol
you have a gold mine? s**t man, hook us up!
Old 04-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

$200 with the K20?
Old 04-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eros18
you have a gold mine? s**t man, hook us up!
yea both my em2 and eg hatch have rear disc.
but funny story
he bought a 01 gsr as soon as it came we strip it hard: the blades, full leathers, rear disc, and sway went my cars. but it was getting dark so i get the carpet and dash the next day. couldnt go back until 2 days later and he sold the dash and carpet for $100. i about ****. its all good now tho. yea every one has to wait for my 15 days to go up until i can post a fs thread.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by carvers
yea both my em2 and eg hatch have rear disc.
But funny story
he bought a 01 gsr as soon as it came we strip it hard: The blades, full leathers, rear disc, and sway went my cars. But it was getting dark so i get the carpet and dash the next day. Couldnt go back until 2 days later and he sold the dash and carpet for $100. I about ****. Its all good now tho. Yea every one has to wait for my 15 days to go up until i can post a fs thread.
do it!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Nighthawk7thGen
do it!
i think i have like 7 days left but bout 100 miles away at college with 2 weeks left until my last final. so ill make an epic FS thread when i get home. i dont want to **** off the mods with too much for sell talking lol
Old 04-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whaaaaat thats a nice deal. doesnt even matter if it has liek 100k on it. 200 dollars is a steal and a half. id get that
Old 04-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heck yeah im broke right now, but keep updates on what you get thats a good way to make moolah. sell it online too. everyoen wins

Quick Reply: junkyard questions